hitch lubing

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Has anyone ever removed the bolts and the center pivot pin from the hitch pin plate and lubed them as normal maintenance? Bob:D

Forrest Fetherolf

Has anyone ever removed the bolts and the center pivot pin from the hitch pin plate and lubed them as normal maintenance? Bob:D

If you don't lube the pivot pin occasionally then it will rust in place and be very difficult, if not impossible, to remove. I do it yearly.

Forrest

TXBobcat

Fulltime
OK.. I am a dumb .... , well strongly uninformed.
I don't understand what your talking about.

Please explain.

truknutt

Committed Member
I think this merely a subtle reminder for all of us to remember to perform our lubrication maintenence on our hitches. Not only fifth wheel hitches but weight distributing hitches as well.

I know that some of us part-timers are in such a hurry to get out of town when the weekend hits that this is one of those forgotten maintenance checks.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reminder, Bob.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK, I am refering to the 2 side bolts and the center pivot pin on the hitch itself not the pin box. These 2 area's let the hitch plate pivot to take stress off the pin box. I had thought about drilling a hole in the 2 side bolt bracket's and installing a grease fitting to lube them. Just not sure if it would work ok. Bob:confused:

phranc

My hitch has a couple of grease fittings that I grease in the spring and usually once during the season.. Before putting truck up for winter I spray the entire hitch with an aerosol oil spray ( not WD 40). And cover with a tarp

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
My hitch has a couple of grease fittings that I grease in the spring and usually once during the season.. Before putting truck up for winter I spray the entire hitch with an aerosol oil spray ( not WD 40). And cover with a tarp

WD-40 gums up too bad. You should have seen a pistol that my father sprayed with WD=40 and wrapped up in oiled butcher paper. It sat in a box for nearly 20 years...I had to soak the gun in diesel and then take a plastic hammer to it...just to open the cylinder! I use LPS or a silicon spray (comes in a black can).

OBTW, there was not one spot of rust on it...still, it was worse than WWII cosmoline.

jpmorgan37

Something that helps me is I have a cover for my hitch, so when I'm parked for a few months, I clean it and cover it. Saves from rusting and when we're ready to head out, a little spray lube on the appropriate places and we are good to go. I use white lithium grease on the pivots and jaws. So far, no problems.

John