Trailer Mods...the Adventure Begins

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Look forward to your mods...

However.. How soon are you leaving Virginia so we can check the rig out.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
As soon as I possibly can. The VA is the sole hold up here. Get my quasi-final fitting on the leg tomorrow. It went back to the dealer for repairs. Now, I want to see if they really found something wrong with it. I've found out that if you don't stay on them...they take it out of one box and put it in another with a no trouble found report.

Then out to the VA for physical therapy, learning how to use it. And, then getting them to upfit the truck and do their work on the lift for the RV. Don't want to rush. Besides, I'm doing so much here...that I'm trying to document it all...and get the new forum up and running. The forum is my top priority. It's Mr. Stubby's legacy. It's got to be right.

Gonna be a while...but, I hope to be out of here by the fall. When you are dealing with the government...who knows.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
de lights, de lights!

Got the lights installed in the living room and kitchen on my rig today. They look pretty good. Now, how much light they put out will be determined tonight.

I replaced the standard 12V lights with two tube 15 watt florescent fixtures. Still have two to replace. The one over the sink and the one over the computer desk has gotta go.The florescent fixture that was supposed to be installed over the computer desk was put up in the kitchen right over the entrance way. The replacement fixture was just too long. Hence, the slight change of plans.

I'll try to get a couple of pictures up tomorrow. But, I gotta admit..ya seen one light fixture, ya seen 'em all. Anyway you cut it, the drain on the battery is going to be significantly reduced. Which should lower the load on the converter.

The entertainment for today was one legged me climbing an 8 foot ladder. Ah, the pleasures of GimpDom.:D

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
All of the fluorescents up. Kinda disappointed in the high end lights. I get more light out of the same wattage cheap lamps as I do the name brand stuff. I do wish I had sprung a little more money and got the 30 watters all around. The Circuline lamp that I bought from Camping World is over the kitchen table and puts out a lotta light.

I want to add a couple of the removed lamps to places that could use extra light, but necessarily get enough use to justify the much more fluorescnets.

I'm gonna have a lot of 12v Incandescent stuff free to a good home, soon. I'll let you know.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Let us know what fluorescent lamps you used and liked and the ones you used and disliked. There are a couple of lights I want to change to fluorescent, and wasn't sure which lights would do the best job.

DennisZ

Lefty

What say Yea on the flourescent lights?? What are the good ones and bad ones, pricey nes and cheap ones??

Thanks
Dennis

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty Tested

TEN (10) Double Bulb 18-7/8", 12 Volt DC, Fluorescent Lights

16 Watt Progressive Dynamics 222F8CWC 10 for $160.

c20b_1.JPG

Switch Type: Easy ON/OFF heavy-duty rocker switch
Bulb Type:
2- F8T5/CW (included)
Ballast Type: High-efficiency electronic
Lens:
Translucent Acrylic
Frame:
White, heat-resistant ABS
Light Output:
800 Lumens
Amp Draw:
1.2 Amps (8 Watts/bulb)
Voltage: 12 VDC
Dimensions:
approx. 5-1/2" W x 18-7/8" L x 1-7/16" H

Bought 'em and replaced every ceiling light in my 3055RL. Not the brightest I've ever seen...but, the do beat the #115 from Campingworld -- see below.

35323n.jpg

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/thin-lite-circline-fluorescent-light-fixutre-110/35323

This thing REALLY puts out some light. It was worth the purchase price of $88+ shipping. Used it as a replacement for the THANG that was over the dining room table.

Thin-Lite Single Tube Fluorescent Light Fixture #115. Save your money on this one. It's over priced and puts out light like it's selling the stuff.

This one does not impress me in the least. The only reason that I used it was that it was already here and returns are such a PITA! The output is dismal and it's over priced when compared to the ones I installed. At $66...save your money.

I like a lot of light when I cook. And, if I had it to do all over again, I'd buy these:

TEN Fluorescent Light 12 volt 30W Trailer Camper 2F15

10 (TEN)- Double Bulb 25" 12 Volt DC Fluorescent Lights

222F15CWC

e02c_1.JPG

Switch Type: Easy ON/OFF heavy-duty rocker switch
Bulb Type:
2- F15T8/CW Bulbs (Included)
Ballast Type: High-efficiency electronic
Lens:
Translucent Acrylic
Frame:
White, heat-resistant ABS
Light Output:
1650 Lumens
Amp Draw:
2.2 Amps (15 Watts/bulb)
Voltage: 12 VDC
Dimensions:
approx. 5-1/2" W x 25" L x 1-7/16" H

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/R-and-P-Carriages-Trailer-Sales__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fsubZ18577114

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I replaced all the lights in my Big Horn before our first trip with the Thin-Lite #656 30 Watt fixtures. I even added an extra one in the entry/kitchen area in the ceiling in front of the pantry for more light. I love them, lower current drain and really bright white light. No regrets. The flourescent lights actually give it a high end look and feel inside. That is one change I wish Heartland would make to the Bighorn, flourescent lights as a standard item. I know the Landmark is the flagship but the Bighorn is second and carries a pretty hefty price tag. With all the great features inside the "car bulb" lights, as I call them, just do not fit the really nice decor. Just my opinion. I certainly would not bypass the Bighorn for SOB just because of the lights. Love my Bighorn :)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
...I know the Landmark is the flagship but the Bighorn is second ...:)
WHAT??????

It appears to me, someone hasn't noticed the CYCLONE! :eek: Once again, we (Cyclone owners...UNITE!) get kicked to the curb! :D

CYCLONE: noun, Rolls Royce of toyhauler RVs! ;)

PS - Love the lighting info, Sarge!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I replaced all the lights in my Big Horn before our first trip with the Thin-Lite #656 30 Watt fixtures. I even added an extra one in the entry/kitchen area in the ceiling in front of the pantry for more light. I love them, lower current drain and really bright white light. :)

The 30 watts were a good buy. The 15 watters I got leave a little to be desired in the brightness department.

Ya p***ed me off bad enough, I just ordered 5 30 watters for my kitchen and living room.:eek::p