Air compressor installation

2010augusta

I realize the importance of having good compressor on board, but did not want to donate that much space in the storage area to one. While trying to fix my many water leaks behind the "wall" I discovered all the wasted space back there. I read through the air compressor discussion in the camping products forum, and really liked the reviews on the small 1 hp 1gal sears craftsman unit. I measured the space next to the vacuum under the long storage bin and voila, it would fit. I had one delivered to the local sears store and just picked it up today.

The details.
I had to cut off part of the platform that the vacuum sets on so the compressor sets level. once in place I held it to the floor with a couple of conduit holders around the frame of the compressor. I found a nice 25' retractable air hose on clearance at home depot, so I mounted it next to the compressor. I removed the "giude" from the reel and mounted it on the wall directly above the reel. For power I changed the single outlet for the converter to a double outlet. I then ran an extension cord to the wall; where I cut the positive wire and installed a single pole switch mounted to the wall as well.

The Short
I stuck the compressor behind the wall and the only thing that can be seen is the end of the air hose reel and a power switch.

Here are the the pictures of my handy work.
first two are the compressor and the reel, the third is what is seen on the wall of storage area.

Attachments

• DSCN1696 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1696 (Small).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN1698 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1698 (Small).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCN1699 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1699 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 332

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Really nice job. Thanks for the pictures. Really helps.

How is that compressor rated? How long can you run it before it over heats?
I havent had a lot of luck with the small comressors like that and would really like to know how they hold up under heavy use.

I'm stealing ideas from all over.

2010augusta

I haven't ran it much yet, but it will put out 125 psi and is rated as a 50% duty cycle. I am not planning to use it for much except airing up truck and trailer tires. Gas stations can't hit the 100+ psi I need. I did not want to deal with finding welding or gas supply shops for a CO2 refill. The little craftsman is right around $100.00 and is a nice compact unit. here is the link to the air compressor discussion. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=5113

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Really nice job. Thanks for the pictures. Really helps.

How is that compressor rated? How long can you run it before it over heats?
I havent had a lot of luck with the small comressors like that and would really like to know how they hold up under heavy use.

I'm stealing ideas from all over.
Lefty, I have the same compressor but not nearly as sophisticated an installation. The compressor works well but it's best to get the compressor running before trying to air up a tire. Lets say your tire is at 95 psi. The compressor kicks in at 80 so it won't start running because the pressures equalize above 80. If you release some air from the compressor before you start filling the tire, it will not stop pumping till you get to 110 or whatever you need in between. 80 & 110. Clear as mud, right? I've had mine for a year and love it.

truknutt

Committed Member
Is it easy to get to once completely installed? You need to be able to check the oil level on that compressor.

Just a side note; I have the same compressor thanks to the aforementioned thread. During setup, I used all of the supplied oil and then after cycling it 5 or 6 times, I ended up having to add more oil. Must have been the "seating" process. Just don't what you to set it and forget it, so to speak.

Great install and thanks for sharing. ;)

P.S. I'm sitting at work (gotta watch over my shoulder for the IT Gestapo) and can't remember if there is a water drain on the compressor's tank..Just another thing to be able to get to.

Ray LeTourneau

Alan, nice job on the installation. I'm going to have to see if our 3400 has the room for a similar install. I have a manual hose reel that I'll have to leave exposed but it would be nice to get more room in the basement. Like I need more weight to carry around. :)

2010augusta

Nice!! How do you turn it on/off??

There is a wall switch spliced into the positive power supply, and I leave the switch on the compressor on.

As far as service access goes all that is necessary is to "swing" open the wall and the oil sight is easily seen, the water drain is not too bad to get to.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Very nice install. It's like you read my mind. I had purchased a compressor last year for just that purpose. Other than the hose reel you did exactly what I still want to do. I was considering plumbing a quick disconnect to the UDC and then another at the door side just inside the basement. Wire the switch and use the same circuit as the vacuum. Now you have yors done I have that spark to do mine. Too bad it is 24 degrees here and snowing like a mother!

Thank you for sharing,
Mark

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, I have the same compressor but not nearly as sophisticated an installation. The compressor works well but it's best to get the compressor running before trying to air up a tire. Lets say your tire is at 95 psi. The compressor kicks in at 80 so it won't start running because the pressures equalize above 80. If you release some air from the compressor before you start filling the tire, it will not stop pumping till you get to 110 or whatever you need in between. 80 & 110. Clear as mud, right? I've had mine for a year and love it.

Guess I'll have to get one. Hitting the road is getting closer...I think.

Ray LeTourneau

As far as service access goes all that is necessary is to "swing" open the wall and the oil sight is easily seen, the water drain is not too bad to get to.
Hmmm! I'm visualizing copper tubing and a petcock through the basement with an outside drain through the belly of the beast. Or an easier mod would be to route it into the basement and let it blow into a rag.