Getting Scared

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've been reading this forum since purchasing our 2009 BH3670RL in October. It's still in storage at the dealership. We've never slept in it. And with all the major problems I've read about on some of your new units, I'm tempted to go up there and slap a FOR SALE sign on it.

Tom of Ypsi

I honestly think you are reading too much into the said problems. Problems!!!!, yes you will most likely have them. Help!!!!!, You will definitely get it from the forum members and the most important of all is the factory. I do not care what brand you buy you will have problems. These trailers are made by humans not robots. QC could be better especially in this day and age but that is something the factory should take a harder look at. You do have to remember and look at, there are hundreds of people on these forums and the threads that seem to stand out are the ones with the problems. Hardly anyone posts that they have a coach with no problems and if they do that thread lasts for a few posts and is gone. Post a problem and unheard of numbers come out of the woodwork to say yeah me too.

cjbearden

Visitor
John,
I totally understand your fear; but, wade on in because things will work out. Put on your 'handyman' hat and get 'er done whatever issue arises. No RV is perfect and you never know the mood of the techs on the day when your rig was manufacturered. Take her out for a good shakedown several days of camping and go over everything. Take it back to the dealer until you are satisfied things are right or you know what to do to fix things yourself. HL customer service is only a phone call away. You have tons of support right here in this forum and a lot of knowledgeable experience so take advantage of it.

Our first BH was not was not so great but our Augusta purchased in June 2008 is a huge improvement. Yes, we still had some issues; but, nothing like what we had on the BH, knock on wood!

Find a warm spot to camp and enjoy yourself. Congrads on the new 3670 which is similar to our Augusta. Try to make it to the HL International Rally in Goshen, IN in June where you get to meet a lot of the folks who post regularly and you get to meet the HL owners plus have factory tours.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, as others have said, put your fears aside. If there is an RV made that doesn't have a few issues pop up once in a while, either we couldn't afford it or it's a tent. Consider the thousands of trailers coming off the line from Heartland and weigh that against the number of problems we see here. It's a very low percentage. When we first ordered our 3400 3 years ago, I had the same concerns once I started digging into this forum. Have I had problems? A few but nothing major. You have to remember, this forum is a place where people come to discus these problems. That's why you see more problems than general chat. We're all here to help if something comes up. Consider coming down to Goshen in the summer to meet some fellow Heartlanders. You'll enjoy the trip and meet some great friends.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom is right about the fact that everyone remembers the problem posts and forgets about the good ones, and that you will have some problems......maybe. We have had only some minor problems, most of which I took care of. You cannot make a decision based on what you think might happen. Use it. I read other forums and believe me when I tell you, they all have problems. The only difference is that I don't see the factory support like Heartland has. Also my wife says if the price is right she wants your 3670. :) We would not hesitate to buy another Heartland product.
Peace
Dave

boatdoc

To some extent a major problem to some is a mere inconvienece to others. I myself have not seen anything that would make me want to put a sign on our 3670. I deal with salt water boat problems for a living, now if you want " major problems" go buy a salt water boat. That WILL make you put the sign on it and run me out of business.
Maybe I have just not read the forums enough to see all the major problems but after an hour a day I think I see most of them. :)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
John
I think you made a good purchase. Here is something to think about.

Of all the RV manufactures, Heartland is the only one that is not in debt.
This is why they are still in business today. Most of the manufactures that have failed it is due to financial debt.
Heartland is still in business and looks like it will continue.

Regardless of which RV you purchase there will be problems. You can count on that.
If your dealer is not dependable or goes out of business, Heartland will work with you to get your repairs completed.

You have a forum in which you can converse with others that have the same RV and problems as well as communicate with the manufacturer. Some have a forum but not many if any have reps of the manufacturer available.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Heartland RVs

John, No need to worry! You've gotten some great advice already! As for my situation...

I am a 1st time RV owner. I picked up my Cyclone Mar 8, 2008 and began full-timing in it Mar 9th! I live in it while working away form home. Currently in Wyoming on a project. My first problem, the back door key broke off in the front door lock. My mistake, dealer gave me a new part, I installed. Next, my washer/dryer water pump - wouldn't! W/D manufacturer sent me a new one (quick), I replaced. I then discovered a small stream of water trickling across my floor, found the leak, tightened the connection. My front leveling jack blow the fuse. This was all in the first month of being a new owner.

Since then...piece of cake. Making my own modifications to suit me. LIFE...ain't it grand! My wife will be joining me FT in about 5 months and I LOVE MY CYCLONE!

When the time comes for me to get another one, I'll definitely purchase another Heartland!

Shadowchek

I have talked to several owners of high end motor homes and they have had similar problems. You just have to work with your dealer to get the bugs out. After that it is just maintenance. You have made a good choice and once you get it out and use it you will be smiling about your choice in 5th wheels. You can't beat these for the price not even close as far as I am concerned. We have had some minor issues but nothing that detracted from our camping experience. Welcome to the family of Heartlland owners you will be glad you came aboard as we are.

Greg

JohnDar

Well, that was certainly some feedback! I do appreciate it. I kind of figured I'd have to do some checking and fixing, I'm pretty handy at that. But this morning, when I read about somebody's 2009 Landmark leaking from almost every fitting, missing clamps and some other stuff, I started wondering what the xxxx did I get into?? Dropping the belly in the middle of a campground did not sound like something I want to do. This rig, without the new TV, cost twice as much as our first house (OK, it was a long time ago), so my dandruff got a little ruffled. I check these forums almost daily, learning every time I do.

Looks like I'll be taking delivery of the new TV later this week, too, so maybe a little talk with my Old Grandad will calm me down :).

Don't know about Goshen, but I'm considering the Ludington one since it will be about the time we vacate the seasonal site we're taking in Indian River.

bigredtruck

I know exactly how you are feeling JohnDar! We bought out Cyclone online and hubby had to drive to Michigan from the West Coast to pick it up. We were very worried since we won't be able to get back to the dealer. I had an upset stomach the whole time he was gone! Knock on wood, we have had no problems so far except the pocket door, but DH was able to fix that. Just like a house, there will be problems, but I think it's the same with all rigs. Enjoy! We love our Cyclone.

kkamshop

John & Darlene,
I hope our post re our wet insulation wasn't too scary! Actually, the scary part is we might not have found the leak if we hadn't parked on a slope and found water running out of the basement!!
So my advice is to park off level after some water has been used.

We haven't slept in our new fiver either, and finding the mess we did was very discouraging to say the least, but we had some helpful conversations with Heartland and just jumped into the repair headfirst.

I am still convinced we got a well-built unit that will give us years of great memories,
let's go camping !!!!

JohnDar

John & Darlene,
I hope our post re our wet insulation wasn't too scary! Actually, the scary part is we might not have found the leak if we hadn't parked on a slope and found water running out of the basement!!
So my advice is to park off level after some water has been used.

We haven't slept in our new fiver either, and finding the mess we did was very discouraging to say the least, but we had some helpful conversations with Heartland and just jumped into the repair headfirst.

I am still convinced we got a well-built unit that will give us years of great memories,
let's go camping !!!!

Glad to hear your situation is working out. After reading these replies, I guess I got a little spooked by all the separate problems folks were having. Maybe even a little post partem ($$$$) depression going on. Our game plan is to take the BH to a campground about 10 miles from home after we take delivery and use it for a couple of days before hauling it 200 miles north for the summer.

Thanks to all for your support!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
That is also what we did. We took our first 5er on about 3 local trips then took it about 300 miles to Kerrville Tx for a couple of days. Then we went to a rally, a couple more short trips then went to LOW (Life on Wheels conference) in Kentucky. When we bought our Bighorn we took a couple of short trips then went on a long trip to Canada.

Good Luck and don't give up. Heartland will take care of you and then you still have us.. :D

jpmorgan37

John & Darlene,

We've lived in our for three years now. This is our third fifth wheel. In the past year and a half, I can't think of one thing that I have had to do as far as a repair is concerned. I read something in another forum several weeks ago that stuck with me and made a lot of sense. What we do with our RV's when driving on our less then perfect highways is about the same as subjecting our stick built house to a earthquake every day. Of all the RV's that Heartland sells every year, we hear about the concerns of a few people. My suggestion to you is to get in it and enjoy it. You will find things that need attention. For me, that's part of the fun of full timing. Finding, fixing and improving. You've got a great RV. All you need to do now is use it.

John

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Our Bighorn 3055 is the 5th unit for us. We've had 2 more expensive units, and found the BH factory and dealers to be the most responsive to "issues". Like everyone has said, you will have some problems. However, that's why the warranty and the factory will see that you are satisfied. This is a good company and the folks that are in command are wanting you to have a good experience. The old adage of "if you are happy, you'll tell 2 people, if you're dissatidfied, you'll tell everybody" is true in RVers. Find a good warranty repair center for Heartland close to you and become friends with them.

HOSS

John,

I also have the 2009 3670rl with the Augusta floor plan. We bought in January of 2008 and put it in storage at the dealer. I, like you started reading this wonderful forum and had some second thoughts, as I am a first timer at this kind of camping. But got the BH out of storage and camped in it for over two months and found out I was worrying way too much. Yes, had to tighten up some water lines and the drain in the kitchen sink, but nothing major. Reading this forum will become a daily ritual because of so much information, ideas and help. YOU WILL ENJOY the 3670.

HOSS

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
John,

... Yes, had to tighten up some water lines and the drain in the kitchen sink, but nothing major...

HOSS

Funny. I had to tighten the drain under the kitchen sinks, too.

I've got a couple of issues with my new 3670RL, but no show stoppers. Annoyances, more than anything. I was at the RV show down in Quartzsite this last week and browsed through a few other units, including a couple of 'Big Country's and the former other-large-northern-western-state-brand I was considering before the BigHorn. I didn't see anything that offered regrets to my current purchase.

FWIW, I'm a first time 5th owner and, I have to say, the size and weight of this thing do certainly make me pay attention! I put a lot into my truck to make sure it could handle it. Seems to be working fine - but it is big and heavy.

I think the bottom line is you need to get out in it - tweak a few things here and there as you need. If there are issues, now's the time to get them worked out. It's the same thing with a new house, a new boat - there are so many players involved in all the pieces, it's lucky any of it works at all.

I think keeping up with this forum (and others, like RV.NET) are really good things to do to learn what can go wrong and how to avoid it. Learn from other's experiences. Things like dropping the bed on the rails, tire issues, etc. Knowledge is power.

Cheers,
rickb

laffman

I also bought in October, a Sundance 3300RLB. Had it delivered to our seasonal campsite but haven't used it yet. I've been reading everything bad people have to say on here. I'm not worried. I'm just using these comments to make a list of thing to check before I use everything for the first time.

This is my 5th camper, 4th new one. Doesn't matter what brand you buy, these issues occur with them all. You just need to give it a once over before you go on that first trip with it.