HDTV Dish Tripod Question

jpmorgan37

I just ordered HDTV from Direct TV and have an installation date in late February. They know that I am a full time RV'er which is not a problem and they know that I'll be moving all over the country, which also is no problem. DirecTv said that they would supply a tripod. All of the 5 LNB Slimline dishes that I've seen require something more substantial than the typical tripods that I'm aware of. I use a Dewalt tripod for my HughesNet and had planned to do the same thing for the HDTV. My question is: Does anyone use a DTV supplied tripod for the Slimline HDTV dish? Otherwise, I'll get another Dewalt DW0737 and offset adapter and go that way. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JP, I bought my tri-pod at Radio Shack and it worked fine. I have the 5 LNB slim line dish. If the wind is blowing, 2 1 gal water jugs holds it down. My rig may not hold up to a hurricane. Bob:D

jpmorgan37

Bob, I just looked at Radio Shack web site and they show several, but none specify what size pipe (ie 2") that they take. Do you recall which one you bought?

Thanks,

John

Bob&Patty

JP, 2" galvinzed exhaust tubing. I did some modifications to the tri-pod and the pipe. I might be able to find the recipe and get the model #. It was about $35. Bob

jpmorgan37

Thanks again Bob, Now all I have to do is get a piece of chain link fence post and fit it to the tripod.

John

Bob&Patty

JP, if you get the normal house mounting kit with the dish, it should have a small round level with it. If the tube you get is the right size, you put the level in the top of the pipe like I did. You have to make sure it completely square on the top. I drilled holes in the pipe and used thumb screws the keep the pipe from turning. I also put some square nuts on the screws so they stay in place on the inside of the tri-pod. I had to grind some of the nuts the clear the pipe when removing the pipe to store it away. Bob:D

jpmorgan37

I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to get this and make one of these It's a similar setup that I use with my satellite internet, so I know that it will stand up when used with the claw. Bob, I really appreciate your help.

Your Old(er) bud,

John

snuffy

I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to get this and make one of these It's a similar setup that I use with my satellite internet, so I know that it will stand up when used with the claw. Bob, I really appreciate your help.

Your Old(er) bud,

John

And hope you don't drive that stake into a shallow water line, phone cable, or electrical line. Some parks I've been to don't allow stakes.

boatdoc

John, There's a couple in a 3400 just down from us and Direct just installed the big slimline dish 2 days ago. I know it's the standard tri-pod. We had some real good wind yesterday so I'll wadle down and see how it worked out for them when it gets a little later in the morning.
Gary

Delaine and Lindy

Tri-Pods.....

We have used the Lowes type Tri-Pod with the Old 5 LNB and the new Slimline and now we are using the Dewalt and the off set with the Slimline. Used the same set up while in the RGV, yes the wind does blow there. Never had a problem and when in RV parks that didn't let us use the Claw or stakes, then I also carry 3 empty gal jugs and fill them with water and haven't had any blow overs. I'm not saying they want blow over but it hasn't happened so for. I also have a house mount that comes with the house install kit that I have used in the past when we carry the Huges Net system. I will say if you don't have a Claw, it will be a good investment. Good Luck. GBY.....

Direct-Tv has a new dish a Slimline 3 is anyone using them yet. Suppose to be a little easier set up etc. ???

boatdoc

No problems with the two slimlines in our park on the regular tripods. They both have the adaptor to use the larger diameter slimline post. Both couples are enjoying DTV now with no problem in yesterdays wind.

jpmorgan37

Snuffy; I know what you mean. The park we are at has the same restriction. All I have ever done is ask if it is ok and have always been allowed.

Gary; Thanks for the input. I bought the Dewalt tripod this morning. Yes, we had a hard blow again yesterday.

Lindy; Thanks for the input. You are correct about the Claw. I've been using the claw with my HughesNet dish for a couple of years now, and a collapsible 5 gal water jug where I can't use the claw. From what I understand about the new Slimline, you only have to hit two birds and the rest is locked in. I, like you, use a Birdog so I don't anticipate any problem.

It's going to be another 3 1/2 weeks before I get it. I still have to make the offset adapter but I think that I've got everything else covered. Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions.

John

cgunn

Tripods??

Tripods...Tripods...
Say guys,I had my problems with tripods too.
Had one blow over and crash my dish.
If I can get the pictures attached you can see
what Dish Network furnished me with....
(At no extra charge,by the way)
It WILL NOT BLOW OVER...
Even without the cement blocks.
It is sized so they lay right in.
Pretty cool I thought.

Attachments

• 2-2-09 005.JPG
    2-2-09 005.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 2-2-09 006.JPG
    2-2-09 006.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 40

Delaine and Lindy

Tri-pod level !!!!!

The Tri-Pod must be level to get the HDTV if its not you want have HD. We have always used a Tri-Pod, and haven't ever had it blow over. As JP said we use the Claw and or water can and have in a emergency used concrete blocks. I think the off-set helps in the balance of the Slimline dish. Good Luck with your choice. GBY......

jpmorgan37

Lindy;

You are so right about the offset. I can set my HughesNet dish on the tripod with the offset and it is balanced so that it doesn't tip over while I tighten the nut down. That's one reason I am going this way with the HDTV dish. I have a cross check level mounted on the offset.

John