Travel Nurse, anyone else

2010augusta

I am curious to know if anyone else out there is working as a travel nurse. My wife is, and I just want to know what other spouses do or have done in the past, as you traveled. We are just starting out traveling together, and I want advise on jobs for me to do as we travel. Right now we are in a small town in the middle of Texas, and I can not find a decent part-time job. I don't know if I should tell employers that I would only be in town for 3 months or not. I have a teachers license in Colorado, so I have thought about subing, but new background checks and district orientations take so long, the assignment would be half over before I could start working. your thoughts?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a couple of things that might help. First of all check out www.workkamping.com for many job opportunities which are there for people who travel. The other thing is if you can get your Texas teaching certificate it is good anywhere in the state. So you could sub wherever you are in Texas.

2010augusta

Can you tell me a little more about your DW traveling Nurse experiences? I finish school in a year for Respiratory Care and my goal is to travel as well. I have worked as a Barber for many yrs and although love the job, want to fulfill that dream of moving around the country.
I'm looking forward to your answers and even your own experiences finding jobs as my DH will be doing the same as you....looking for work.

2010augusta

Well there are lots of agencies that help nurses and others find jobs, just search the net. The norm is about a 13 week contract, but that can vary. last year it was very easy to find jobs, but currently it is much harder. We are currently looking for a new postion. I am really a jack of all trades. I am a certified teacher, so during the school year I can Sub teach, but I am thinking about getting on with some contractors and eventually becoming a liscened contractor. if you have any more question just ask.

Alan and Sandy