Should I Buy???

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We are looking at upgrading tow vehicles. In the near future we would like to get into our first fifth wheel. (Sundance??) We found a nice 05 F250 XLT, 41000 miles, 6.0 dsl. 3.73 gears. What are your thoughts on this truck and is it enough to pull a 30'-32' fifth wheel. I'm new to diesel trucks, but I heard that there has been some problems with this model. I only put around 5-6 thousand miles a year on a truck and it is mostly towing.

Thanks for the help.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a 99 Ford F350 with a 7.3 diesel. I have never owned the 6.0 Ford diesel but have know some who have and they have told me there are numerous problems with the 6.0. I am sure some others on this forum will chime in but I, personally, would not buy a 6.0.

Tom of Ypsi

The newer 6.0 models (2003) had problems but that was corrected. Our current truck has not had any problems. Get all of the maintenance records you can from the truck you are looking at. See if you can take it to a shop and have them look at it, may cost you now but it is better than later.

Shadowchek

That is plenty of truck to pull a sundance but the 6.0 makes me a little nervous. I know people with early and late 6.0's some have been trouble free but others have replaced turbo's and injectors. I went with an 02 so that I had the more dependable 7.3L.

Greg

timk

Our kids 05 has had two turbos, and one or two egr valve replacements, and some leak problems. Got a nice interior. Ask anybody in the know, and most will tell you that the 6.0 was not a shining moment in Ford history.

jnbhobe

I've got two 6.0 Fords an early 03 with 100,000 mi. and an 07 with 30,000 mi. We've not had any problems with either truck. Both are setup to tow the 5th wheel or anything else I find to hook onto. The 03 also plows snow all winter(lots of snow this year) Now if I didn;t jinks my self I'll stay happy with my Ford.6.0 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

vangoes

I had an 04 and it did the job. The only problem experienced was a EGR valve replacement. Warranty covered it so no big deal. The only reason I traded up was because I talked myself into a deal I could not refuse. I know have an 08.

rjr6150

If you're buying from a Ford dealer have them run an Oasis report. If not check out one of the Ford diesel forums and request one of the members to run it for you. You will need the Vin#. This will give you a complete history on the truck from Ford.

JWalker

I am meeting with the dealer tomorrow and I will have him run an Oasis report. Anything else I should look for? This truck comes with a factory brake controller. Are they any good or should I upgrade to a better one?

Thanks
Jamie

jnbhobe

The OASIS report and any service records they may have. It will also tell you the inservice date and they may be able to tell you the previous owners name witch may give you more insite. JON ;) ;) ;)

rdkern

I have an 05 f250 with 136,000 on it and have had nothing but regular maint. Done to it...i also tow a 2008 sundance 3012re with it and it pulls great..it will not matter what you drive but in the form of a truck, they all have there issues!..ask any duramax who has had to pay for injectors.. Or dodges and the trans... The point is.. Inspect "that" truck very well.. You should be more than happy..plenty of power and then some. Rick.. Out

JWalker

Thanks for all the info. on this subject. The dealer ended up selling the truck before I made up my mind. But now I got the bug for a DIESEL. I'm going to keep a look out.

Thanks
Jamie

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Keep in mind that the current Ford warranty on the diesels is 5 years or 100k on engine parts and covers most major components. Emission parts are even longer so buying a used diesel truck is not so big a risk. Our 05 had no service issues come up on reports, but we did just gave the EGR valve replaced at no cost to us.
There are lots of good buys out there so have fun looking. The integrated controller works great on ours, but the best part is that Tow/Haul mode on the trans. As an FYI, last shorter trip with tow/haul on got 9.3 MPG, with it off, got 9.6. Big trip last summer we averaged 11.6.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Love our 2007 Ford F350 cc dually with the 6.0. The integrated brake control and the tow/haul switch work great.Had one problem shortly after I bought the truck but that was not the engine.I previously owned a 2001 F350,7.3 and loved it. It did a great job,but I don't want to go back to it. I believe you would be happy with the 6.0