Wood Ladder for Loft?

wlallen

I'm interested in getting a wooden ladder that can attach to the wall of the garage and slide out when needed. This has become more of a priority now that the chrome ladder that came with my cyclone broke one of the plastic rung holders.

Any pointers on where to get one of these?

Any pointers on what to look for as far as mounting this? Is there a support member in the garage wall that I need to locate somehow in order to make this stable?

Thanks for the help.

-Lynn

davelinde

My 2009 3210 came with a wood ladder attached to the wall. Unfortunately the rungs were round and attached with 18 gauge staples. The rungs hurt your feet and the staples worked loose over time. I just took the existing rails and cut slots for steps 3" deep by 3/4" thick and re-assembled the ladder using nails AND glue.

From the picture you can see how the ladder attaches and stows in my 3210.

ladder2.png

davelinde

btw - since the picture is not as clear as I'd hoped...
The ladder fits into the frame you see recessed into the wall. In the frame are two slots, about 1" or so. On the top of the ladder is a 1" round rung that goes through the rails and extends out 3/4" or so on either side, making a couple tabs that fit into the slot in the wall. To remove/install you hold the ladder perpendicular to the wall and then twist it out of/into the frame on the wall.

When stowed the ladder sits in the recess in the wall created by the frame.

If I were doing this on a wall without the recess cut I would just apply the frame to the wall and let the ladder sit out a few inches into the room. Not sure how to best secure the frame to the wall.

Rigmover06

Ladder

In our 3950 the ladder is the same, but what I did was buy from the dollar store that round nerf foam for the kids pool. Cut it and taped it around the rungs. Doesn't hurt the feet no more.

Ikea has bunk bed wooden ladders for 23.00. Just bought a replacement for the kids bed in the house.

davelinde

...buy from the dollar store that round nerf foam for the kids pool. Cut it and taped it around the rungs. Doesn't hurt the feet no more.

We used pipe insulation on ours for a while. Since we snowbirds for months at a time that was only a stop-gap - the foam began to disintegrate over time.