Basement Doors

phoenix50

I just received delivery on my 2010 Augsta the beginning of December. The basement doors are not the ones that were on the Landmarks at the Hershey show in the fall. At the show they opened from the top with hydraulic/gas struts not a side opening hinge as they are on my 2010 Augusta. I even took a trip to PA to see an Augusta, as I only saw the Augusta floor plan in a Bighorn. Now I can only load from the center and rear not the front, and it will be difficult to install a TV because the viewing area is limited. And with a little wind the door could blow shut or worse it could bend or break the hinge if blown open. Now I understand why they went back to the top hinge system for the 2010. The side hinge door is quite a disappointment. Is there any correction that can be made?

2010augusta

Maybe the factory could supply a gas strut and mount to hold the door open and keep it from opening too far.

jddugan

I also am very concerned that the large door on my 2010 Bighorn will be damaged by a wind gust or an errant grandchild. It will only open to 90 degrees or so, then the hinges or door frame will be bent. I agree a gas strut or some other type of restraining device should be furnished or I'm afraid a lot of owners will have warranty issues. The factory evidently recognized the potential problem quickly as the door design has been changed already. Factory input on this issue would be appreciated.