A new rig.

arcweldr76

Today my order for a new Big Horn 3600re went to the factory to be built. The dealer says I should be able to pick it up in 3-3-1/2 weeks, in Indiana. What are some things to look for when I take possession. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated!!

jimtoo

Hi arcweldr76,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. I hope you enjoy the forum and become a regular member. We also have a Heartland Owners Club which you can become a member of, which has a few perks also.

I am sure others will join in and tell you lots of things to look for on your PDI. The main thing is be sure and check everything, make sure everything works and each item is demonstrated, from water to a/c to heater. Take plenty of time and go slow, take notes. There are also some pretty good PDI lists on the forum that you could print and take with you.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum and family.

Jim M

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Welcome
One thing you might do is take a camcorder and video the entire (or important parts) so you can look at what you did later down the road.

Take a LOT of time. Check everything. In fact if you can, stay over night or more in the trailer. Take a video and audio CD with you and check out the TV and Entertainment system. If you have DirecTV or Dish Network bring the receiver and dish and connect it up and make sure the TV and wiring works. If you do not have a TV in the Bedroom take one and check it there also. Us the Outdoor antenna as well.

Learn to move the slides in and out and use the hydraulic valve system in the battery compartment.

Check the tires.. Read this forum, do a search. See when the tires were made and what brand they are.

Pressure up the water system, run water in everything. Fill each tank up with water using a water hose. In the kitchen, toile and shower fill the tanks up so water comes up into each one. They should be sealed and leak proof. Take a 50ft hose if you have one. Fill the fresh water tank completely and then drain it. Make sure there are no leaks.

Crawl under it and look at the axles, springs, brake wiring. Take the spare tire out and make sure it fits on the axle (some have had the wrong rims on the spare).

When you do your PDI take all day, your paying for it. If it were me I would stay close by at their lot or at the Elkheart RV Campground for a few days just to work any obvious problems out.

Things you might need before you hit the road to take the 5er home.
Get a 1/2" Torque wrench. I suggest the clicker. See Sears.
Get you a 3" extension, at least one 6 ton bottle jack. A deep 1/2" socket for the lug nuts. I changed out the lug nuts because the ones that come on the trailer have a metal covering on them that can bend or compress and make it hard to get off. This happens on cars and trucks as well as RV's.

Lots of other stuff you should get some are: a water filter, water regulator (not the straight in line ones) check the forums for these and other things.

Hope this is helpful

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
arcweldr76, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. Bobcat gave you some good info. The only thing I can think of in addition is to put some water in the sinks and make sure there are no leaks around the drains. Some of these suggestions may seem a bit extreme but it may save you a trip or two to a dealer after the fact. Visit the forum often and we are here to help in the unlikely event you may need some help. CHeck out the forum on modifications to see what owners have done to improve their trailers and "personalize" them. Enjoy your new 3600.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Check the forum for PDI suggestions. Beyond that, my advise is to spend at least one night and preferably 2 or 3 nights in the unit at the dealers camping area or a campground very close to the dealer. Then you can try all of the things without feeling rushed, make a list of all you find wrong and then take it right back to the dealer and let him do the repairs. If you are very lucky everything will work and you then can be one your way. But at least by spending the night you will be right there to ask the dealer any questions or concerns you might have after sleeping in it.

cjbearden

Visitor
We recommend you get a portable surge guard for the 50 amp cord. Here is a link to one at Camping World.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/portable-surge-guard/2279

Also check the fender skirts in front of the wheels to make sure they are properly braced and no cracks. Check the fenders after traveling to see if cracks develop - screws may be too tight and in some cases, as we found, the brace may be turned the wrong direction.

There will be various personal modifications you may wish to make as you go along so take your time and enjoy the new coach.

Forum member jpmorgan has posted a wonderful PDI list so search the forum for that.

Welcome to your new family. Hope to see you at a rally sometime. What part of AR are you located? We lived in Benton prior to beginning full-timing in April 2008.

CJ

vrugt

watch out!

When you move the slide-outs from the outside controls be very careful because you cannot see what is happening inside.
While cleaning I moved the bedroom slide several times in and out. At one time the doors of the cabinet next to the bed must have opened. The right one got stuck on the slide side and was pushed of its hinges and demolished. We replaced the doors with a curtain...

grizzlygiant

Several have mentioned staying overnight a few days at a nearby campground. Our PDI was done with care but within a few days one water fitting failed and several had leaks. A sopping wet carpet is no fun!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When you move the slide-outs from the outside controls be very careful because you cannot see what is happening inside.
While cleaning I moved the bedroom slide several times in and out. At one time the doors of the cabinet next to the bed must have opened. The right one got stuck on the slide side and was pushed of its hinges and demolished. We replaced the doors with a curtain...

This is also great advise. I to have caught a door in the slide more than once. I now have a band across the handles of the bed room doors and I now visually check each door before I take the slides in and out. Also when the one doing the PDI and they are showing you how to move a single slide in and out make the valve change outside then go inside and start the slide from inside.

Remember, go slow and be safe. You have all the time in the world even if the one doing the PDI wants to go faster. You paid for it in the purchase price.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It seems like many new owners do not know the what where and how tos of a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). Here is a very good link that has a list of what you need and the ins and out of the PDI. Remember, even though it may not show up a PDI on your bill of sale it is built into the price as a charge of anywhere from $50 to $1000, so be sure and get your money's worth. Most dealers will have you sign off after completion of the PDI and if you miss something they will say you signed a paper saying everything was okay. Some may even blame the buyer for the damage since you signed the paper. One thing that is seldom mentioned is the stickers on the outside of the RV. They are very sticky and difficult to remove, so let the dealer do that. My personal pet peave is dealers who stick their advertising on the outside of the unit. They do not pay me to do their advertising and until they do I will not allow them to have me do their advertising for free. Anyway, check out the link and you will find it to be very good. Best of all, Let's GO GO GO RVing.....

http://www.bitware.com/5er/pdi.htm

arcweldr76

new 5r

Thank-You guys so much for all the great advice on what to look for. Sounds to me like the hardest part of this whole experience will be waiting on the factory to build it ! Thanks again!!

arcweldr76

We recommend you get a portable surge guard for the 50 amp cord. Here is a link to one at Camping World.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/portable-surge-guard/2279

Also check the fender skirts in front of the wheels to make sure they are properly braced and no cracks. Check the fenders after traveling to see if cracks develop - screws may be too tight and in some cases, as we found, the brace may be turned the wrong direction.

There will be various personal modifications you may wish to make as you go along so take your time and enjoy the new coach.

Forum member jpmorgan has posted a wonderful PDI list so search the forum for that.

Welcome to your new family. Hope to see you at a rally sometime. What part of AR are you located? We lived in Benton prior to beginning full-timing in April 2008.

CJ
Alexender Ar. But will be full-timing in the new BH