Thread selection ????

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't quite know what to call this thread, so I will describe what I am thinking about...

At times I will read topics on this forum and do to the old addage "Stuff Happens" I don't get to finish some of the threads or want to go back and reread a thread. With all the forums it is hard to remember what part of the forum I was reading a specific thread. I know I can do a search but that always does not work. It is no longer a new post and it was a few days or a week ago and is not in the "Todays Posts" in Quick Links.

I also read the Escapees forum and I think the forum software is very similar to this one. On the Escapees forum they have a selection at the top that is "View New Posts". This is similar to our New Posts. One of the things that I can do on the Escapees forum is go to the bottom of the search and select "Get Active Topics" for Today, This week, Past 2 Weeks, This Month, Past 3 Months, and This Year.. This allows me to scroll through a number of threads in chronological order for a good length of time.

Thanks
BC

Attachments

• Escapees active search drop down.jpg
    Escapees active search drop down.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 17

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
I agree with you Bob. If I can't remember the thread name or the subject to do a search, I have to wait until someone else does a post to bring it back to "New Posts". Frustating if you are interrupted because "stuff happens".

jimtoo

Hi Bob,
In the Thread Tools link on the first thread post and on the top line of each page is an option to "Subscribe to this Thread". You could subscribe and then when you wanted to return to that thread, it would be kept in the "Quick Links" tab for you. When your finished with thread you could simply unsubscribe.

Jim M

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks Jim. I do something similar. I can go to my profile and see the posts I make and I understand the subscribe. However there are times I want to see a thread that I read, never posted too. I agree with HarleyRyder. I like to go back and check posts that I read some time ago but don't remember the name or what ever to do the search. In some I don't even remember the forum section that it was posted in.

Not trying to be a pain, but I sometimes like to just go back and read the previous posts.

BC

linuxkidd

Howdy guys...

Ask and ye shall receive!

I've implemented it a bit different, but I think it'll work out. If you look at the menu bar at the top, you'll find a link that says "Active Topics". When you click on this option, you'll be given the choice of the last 1, 2, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, or month's activity.

Please let me know if you have any problems with this functionality.

Thanks for the suggestion!
LK

irvin56

Thank you sir

I know it will work for me. As my favorite link is full of stuff not just this forum. alot of work stuff

truknutt

Committed Member
Howdy guys...

Ask and ye shall receive!

I've implemented it a bit different, but I think it'll work out. If you look at the menu bar at the top, you'll find a link that says "Active Topics". When you click on this option, you'll be given the choice of the last 1, 2, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, or month's activity.

Please let me know if you have any problems with this functionality.

Thanks for the suggestion!
LK

LK,

The drop downs for "SEARCH", "ACTIVE TOPICS", & "QUICK LINKS" don't appear to do anything now. "BLOGS" drop down works though.

Dave

Let me correct this now that I just got it to work kinda...

The only time those three drop downs work is when I have gone to "NEW POSTS" & a vBulletin Message appears informing me that:
Sorry, there are no new threads to view.

You may search for threads updated during the previous 24 hours, here.

If there are active threads then the drop downs don't work.

I am at work and we have firewalls out the ying-yang so if no one else says anything don't fret; I'll try from home.
Does this make sense?

DG

Last edited: