Tires on Bighorn 2925RK

fyermn

I have ST235/80/16 Karrier (china) tires on my trailer. These tires are E range, and have a weight of 3462lbs, and at 90
PSI, which I find to be disturbing. I want to go to an AMERICAN made LT235/85/16 tire. The two axels are rated at 6000lbs. each, and the LT tires are load range E at 3042lbs. The wheels are stamped to be 110 PSI.
Is it advisable to use LT tires?

Gary Steeves

Fyermn,

There are many good posts relating to tires. Do a search. Most go to either Michelin or Goodyears. Myself, I switched to Goodyears and enjoy the peace of mind ! See my tire size noted below.

Good luck and enjoy your rig !

jnbhobe

I have 7000# axels and goodyear g614 tires on my 3370. If your staying with LR=E tires LT-265-75-R16 Firestone or Bridgestone carry 3415# @ 80lbs They are the same diamiter as 235-80-16. JON :) :)

vangoes

fyermn,
I know there has been much debate about these tires and I will tell you it disturbed me greatly for awhile. However, I am now sitting in Gulf Shores Alabama and this trip will log close to 12,000 miles on my Karrier Load Star China Bombs. I will probably replace them before this summer but for over two years they have served me without incidence (knock on wood!). I always insure the air pressure is between 80 - 85 psi and they seem to have held up adequately.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We had the same tires on our 3400. I'm not sure what it is that you find "disturbing". The capacity of the 2 tires per axle (6924#)exceeds the axle capacity. While we never had a blowout with our Karriers, I did find a bubble on one sidewall after 2 years and over 10,000 miles. At that time I put on the spare and bought 4 Goodyear G614's. Had I not gotten the bubble and a goverment tax rebate check, I might still be running the Karriers. Some owners are running LT tires on their trailers without any problems.

vangoes

We had the same tires on our 3400. I'm not sure what it is that you find "disturbing".

Hey Ray,
Sorry for the confussion...I did not mean I found the tires to be disturbing. I found myself getting disturbed over all the bad press they were getting. If all you ever read/hear is bad stuff it starts to get into your head after a while. At this time, I have no issues with these tires and hopefully I can continue to say this!!!.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We had the same tires on our 3400. I'm not sure what it is that you find "disturbing".

Hey Ray,
Sorry for the confussion...I did not mean I found the tires to be disturbing. I found myself getting disturbed over all the bad press they were getting. If all you ever read/hear is bad stuff it starts to get into your head after a while. At this time, I have no issues with these tires and hopefully I can continue to say this!!!.
Van, I was actually directing my comment to the original thread starter (fyermn). I wasn't sure what he was concerned about regarding the capacity of the Karriers. I really can't say my tires were defective. We've been on some pretty crappy roads and really abuse them. I know I've hit some monster pot holes and cringe every time I do. Even with the Goodyears.

vangoes

Amen on the Monster Pot Holes. Anything that can withstand some of the ones I've hit cant be all bad!

fyermn

I am replacing the Karrier tires (all 5) on my Bighorn 2925RK. I am considering the BF Goodrich T/A Commerical LT 235/85/16 ($834), the Michelin Rib ($1348), and the Goodyear G614 ($1587). Cost is a factor, and I do not always believe the the most expensive is the best product. I have read some negative reports on the G614, But have read nothing about the Goodrich T/A commerical. Michelins are a good tire, but are they worth the extra $$$? Discount Tire tells me that the Goodrich T/A Commerical is a great tire for my 14k lb. 5th wheel. I am open to suggestions and opinions, and any other Ideas that you have.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey Tabster...what are you doing up this early??? My excuse...Ken left at 4am and I can't get back to sleep;)

As for the tires...if I could run E loads on my rig I'd have Michelin XPS Ribs...in my opinion, they're the best LT tire out there and they work beautiful on trailer applications.

Pulltab

Hey Tabster...what are you doing up this early??? My excuse...Ken left at 4am and I can't get back to sleep;)

As for the tires...if I could run E loads on my rig I'd have Michelin XPS Ribs...in my opinion, they're the best LT tire out there and they work beautiful on trailer applications.

I WORK for a living :p ok maybe not so much. I figured you would sleep fine without IT there :D

Bobby A

I have heard good thing about the Commercial T/A, my tire dealer told me thats the tire of choice for truck drivers.