Generator prep questions

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

OK, some of the Bighorn units at our dealer's lot have "generator prep" option from the Heartland factory. I understand this in principle, but admit I may be misunderstanding this option entirely.

So, what generators work with the way the unit has been prep'd? Can I purchase a Honda EU2000i (or similar) and plug it in to the system? Or does the gen-prep option only work with specific brands/models?

Thanks.

jbeletti

The intent is that the owner will later add an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 LP or equivalent.

But, by sense is that the wiring and the transfer switch can still be used with other generators. Even the portables. You'll just need to wire the correct plug on the trailer end of the wiring so it will connect to your generator.

Some people may even know how to make the Onan start switch and hour meter work with other brands of generators - although not likely the portables.

If you have no plans to ever have a built-in generator, personally, I'd delete the gen-prep option. That sheet metal box takes up a lot of space in the front compartment :)

Best of luck and look for responses here from others later.

Jim

wyleyrabbit

...the wiring and the transfer switch can still be used with other generators. Even the portables. You'll just need to wire the correct plug on the trailer end of the wiring so it will connect to your generator.

Jim,

Thanks for the quick response.

I would be very interested in finding out about what would be involved in hooking up a portable generator, such as a Honda EU2000i (or similar), and taking advantage of the transfer switch.

Is there a picture or description of what the "trailer end of the wiring" looks like so I'd have an idea what's involved with doing the wiring? Would it be as simple as a trip to Home Depot to buy some decent gauge wire and a custom end for one side?

Chris

jbeletti

...Is there a picture or description of what the "trailer end of the wiring" looks like so I'd have an idea what's involved with doing the wiring? Would it be as simple as a trip to Home Depot to buy some decent gauge wire and a custom end for one side?
Chris

Sorry - I have no pictures of this and I have a generator in my spot so it likely covers all the connections.

Others will weigh in on this one certainly. My sense is that you will want to install a female receptacle on the exterior of the coach or at the pin-box that is wired to the generator wiring in the coach from the genny compartment. Then make up the correct cable to go from that receptacle to the output receptacle of your genny.

Jim

wyleyrabbit

Jim,

Thanks, I'll wait for others to chime in on this issue then.

Next (dumb) question: Can a portable generator stay in the front compartment not only during travel but also while it's running? Or do I need to hoist this big heavy thing out of the unit and place it on the ground?

Cheers,
Chris

wyleyrabbit

Also, next question (which I'd already know the answer to if I had my BH already)...

Where is the plug-in connection on the BH? Is it in the universal docking center? Or is it somewhere else?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wyley ma man, First off, never, never ever run a portable generator in an enclosed area. Carbon monoxide. Next, do some checking with Honda if you are considering owning one. My SOB genset owners manual says "do not use with a transfer switch". You might not want to order the gen-prep option if Honda does not recomend it. The shore power cord plug is located on the street side near the rear of the coach. Other options are to do what many others have done. Put a carrier rack on the rear of the coach or mount your portable genny in the bed of the truck and plug in using the shore cord.
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If I am not mistaken the exhaust for the generator that is mounted in the front basement goes to the outside of the rig. You should be able to see a tailpipe under the that area. I would recommend getting a tailpipe extension to run it vertically above the roof of the RV. Remember that many folks have died from the carbon monoxide fumes from their generator so if you run your generator and the exhaust is near an open window or open cargo door you run the risk of death. Be safe when using the generator and be sure there is adequate ventilation.

SmokeyBare

When I camp off the Grid... I can hook up my Honda 2000 directly to the power cord for the RV. I just use the adapters to reduce the 50 Amp connection to the plug the Honda has... It will NOT run the A/C... I can run the micro wave but I've got to be careful what other heavy use items I have running at the same time. Little careful control with my electrical use... and I'm cruising along ! I can use the computer with the HugheNet dish attached... the TV is running as well using the Dish-Network Dish... ahhhh such a rough life in the Desert Eh?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wyley, just get a 3K watt portable. Carry it in the bed of the truck. Hook your shore power cord to it. We have a Kapor 3K, weigh's less than a 100#, key start and very quite. It takes the 30 amp connector. Mine came with wheel's and I use it all around the house and yard when I need some electricity. Oh yea, it will run the A/C and micro at the same time. My 2ct's Bob:D

wyleyrabbit

How noisy are these portable generators? I see many of them say 59 dB from 23 feet, but that's 72 dB at 5' (according to this website: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm), which means that these portable generators are about the same volume as a vacuum cleaner? Is that about right?

I've never heard a Honda, Yamaha, or Kipor portable generator running. But if they really are as loud as a vacuum cleaner, doesn't running them really annoy fellow campers?

SmokeyBare

I agree that a 3000 Watt will run all the "Stuff" in most RV's very well... often you see them bolted to the rear of the truck... most times you'll need an extension cord to reach it. For most folks, it tends too heavy to be lifting out of the truck bed.

I most always place my 2000 under the side out room. I cable lock the generator to the slide room frame. The Slide room makes a nice shelter for it... and it is real close for my power cord. That said... I most often have to open the door to hear if it's still running. They are really quiet ! Mine runs about 4 to 5 hours on a tank of fuel. I store mine inside the tool box behind the cab of the truck.

Marv

wyleyrabbit

Marv,

Heh heh. As I read your reply, I thought to myself, "either these portable generators are really quiet, or maybe Marv is very hard of hearing." So Marv? How's your hearing? :)

Chris

SmokeyBare

I been told.... don't invest in high $$ stereo systems. :) But... I never get complaints over the sound level of our TV... by any neighbors.... LOL....

Come to Florida and I'll Crank the LiL Gen Up for ya... so you'll KNOW First hand !!

Marv

jnbhobe

I have a Honda 3000 and have had people tell me they wouldn't know it was running if they hadn't seen the indicator light on. JON :D :D :D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wyley and Smokey, no person has ever complained about out Kipor. In fact most people dont know its running. Pat and I can lift it over the hitch with no problem. Bob:D

wyleyrabbit

Jon,

Heh heh. OK, you probably already know where this is going...are these people hard of hearing, or is their hearing normal. ;)

Seriously though, could you in a lawn chair 10' from your running Honda 3000 and have a casual conversation with the person next to you, or would the generator noise be too annoying?

SmokeyBare

Wyey,

Time for you to price out that Solar System... :) You'll soon learn your hearing isn't all what it's cracked up to be.....

SAY WHAT??!?!?!? HOW MUCH?!?!?!?

wyleyrabbit

Time for you to price out that Solar System... :) You'll soon learn your hearing isn't all what it's cracked up to be.....

SAY WHAT??!?!?!? HOW MUCH?!?!?!?

Marv,

Ha ha ha. That was almost exactly the conversation I had with my dealer when they quoted me on the price of a Cummins Onan 4000W microquiet generator including installation for about $6,000+ (including taxes). :eek::eek::eek:

They're suggesting I consider a Kipor 2000W or 3000W portable generator, but I'm not sure of the brand. I've heard nothing but great things about the Honda, and generally good things about the Yamaha. Anyone have advice one way or the other on brands?

Chris

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have a 3000 watt Yamaha, inverter generator...and yes, you can sit right next to it and carry on a casual conversation...even alot closer than 10 feet. The key is to make sure it's an inverter generator...