Possible Bighorn owner

Drew

Hello all.

My wife and I are considering a BH 3600RL or a 3670. We are now full timing in a 30 Ft fiver and NEED to upgrade. Problem is we only have a Ford F-250 7.3L with airbags. We are both working and not really doing any traveling. I do not want to upgrade my TV. Would this stop you from going with such a large unit? I really would only need to get it home, about 30 miles and get it out the way of maybe a hurricane. Should my TV stop me on this deal? Thanks for any advise, Drew

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Drew, From what you say, I would go for it. If your plans take you to a different area or you start to do more traveling you might want to consider an upgrade to the tow vehicle. There are many RVers pulling trailers a bit heavy for their tow vehicle. That doesn't make it right, but you aren't alone. Just drive safely! By the way, I see you are in the Houston area. Anywhere near Spring? We are having a rally at Rayford Crossing RV Resort the 1st weekend in April. Try to make it if you can. Even if to just stop by and meet some of our group of friendly Heartland Owners.

jimtoo

Hi Drew,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family.

And I would just repeat exactly what Ray has said.

Jim M

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We started out with a Chevy 2500 Duramax and airbags. It worked for us the first season and we would have kept it if a really good deal on a 1 ton hadn't come up. Don't let this stop you as long as you realize your limits.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I too agree with Ray. If you're only towing 30 miles home...go for it.

However, if you ever want to really take it some place...I'd find a larger tow vehicle. These things can be really heavy. We ended up with a pin weight of just over 4,000 lbs...wouldn't want that in the back of a 250/2500 anything!!:eek:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After buying our 3670, I did a fair amount of research on which GM TV to buy. The 2500 (diesel, naturally) would have done it, but the numbers were real close. I went with the 3500 dually to get a larger margin of safety for long distance hauling. For you, the 2500 would probably be all you need so long as you don't overload the RV.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I too agree with Ray. If you're only towing 30 miles home...go for it.

However, if you ever want to really take it some place...I'd find a larger tow vehicle. These things can be really heavy. We ended up with a pin weight of just over 4,000 lbs...wouldn't want that in the back of a 250/2500 anything!!:eek:

Just curious, what have you added or carry to get your pin weight to double the published value?

Drew

Thanks for the info guys. I took my truck to the scales and got 3020lbs. on the rear axle. That gives me 3064lbs. to play with. The dry pin is 2145lbs. I know i'll be close but I think I can live with that.

tkdmike

Drew,

I traded my f250 for an f450 when we bought our 09 3600RL. I did it cuz I know we're going to travel and I wanted to be safe pulling the rig - published weight loaded is up to 16,200. I haven't weighed my yet since we moved in so don't know how close we are. I am a bit fanatical about towing safety and weight ratings so would be careful if you do much towing at all with the 3/4 ton truck. The air bags will keep the load level but they won't increase your braking, your axle or rear-end capacity, etc. But to pick it up and get it home - you'll be fine.

My wife and I are full-timing and working in Pearland, south side of Houston. Though we've only had the BH for two months, so far so good. We had a good dealer and bought ours in Tomball. The dealer did a thorough job on the PDI and our warranty issues have been typical and minor so far. The 3600 had a better closet space though not as much kitchen as the 3670. You'll love either one. Good luck and let us know what you decide.