Clothes hamper fix

2010augusta

I could not stand the fact that the lid to the clothes hamper step would not stay open on its own. I thought about adding an automotive style lift support, but that would cost about $30. I was at home depot getting more fittings to move my house style pressure regulator behind the UDC wall, and wandered over to the hardware aisle. I found a brass friction lid support, for desk tops and such. it was under $3 so I grabbed one to try out. It took about 10 minutes to install and it works GREAT. No more problem scooping the dog food out on the bin anymore. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN1703 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1703 (Small).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 364
  • DSCN1704 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1704 (Small).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCN1705 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1705 (Small).JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 421
  • DSCN1706 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1706 (Small).JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 400

jimtoo

Great idea Alan, Thanks for the pictures. Another honey do....she's been complaining about having to hold the door up with her head anyway.

Jim M

patrick1945

less than satifactory for me

I could not stand the fact that the lid to the clothes hamper step would not stay open on its own. I thought about adding an automotive style lift support, but that would cost about $30. I was at home depot getting more fittings to move my house style pressure regulator behind the UDC wall, and wandered over to the hardware aisle. I found a brass friction lid support, for desk tops and such. it was under $3 so I grabbed one to try out. It took about 10 minutes to install and it works GREAT. No more problem scooping the dog food out on the bin anymore. Here are some pictures.

I purchased what appears to be the exact hardware that you show in your photo. I put it in the same location and for some reason it doesn't work well for me. In order to make it stand up I have had to bend the slide portion.

What did I do wrong and have you had a similar problem?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After seeing Alan's mod, I used the knife style hinge instead. Works great and not as dependent on position and friction to hold the lid up.

2010augusta

The friction slide support is very dependent on the exact locations of the two mounting points and the geometry of the whole system. I had to measure many times to make sure it was properly located, and then adjust the friction level a bit to make it work smoothly. I went with this style support because I can open and close it one handed.

patrick1945

I will take it with me this winter and try another time or two. The idea/principle is great and I was so excited when I saw your post. If you can do it I can do it even if it takes me a few more tries.

I built a toy box and installed one there. I worked on the geometry for some time but it was easy doing the trial and error with the box on a work table in my shop. The lighting was perfect and the work height was ideal. I haven't worked well on my knees since I was young.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks for the Idea Alan I am with Betty it is hard to hold the lid open with your head and get the clothes out at the same time. Kenny will have to get right on that. Thanks Kathy:D

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
Alan I love your mods, You spend a lot of time a Home Depto huh? HEHE:D

2010augusta

Yeah at that point in time we were living in Brownwood TX, working the night shift, and Home Depot and Wal-mart were the only stores open past 5:00. I spent a lot of time finding stuff to fix as that was the first "full-time" test of the Landmark, and we were having several water leak issues.

2010augusta

I guess so, because our is a piano hinge that will not open past 90 degrees, so without a support it just falls.