Loose awning lag bolts

GFHLLH

I'm a little concerned with the awning mount on my 3500rl. I have not deployed the awning yet, however, during a pre-departure walkaround, I noticed that one of the 3" lag bolts securing the vertical support arms has backed out about 1/2". The lag bolt would not tighten.

My question is --- what is the lag bolt susposed to screw into? What should be done to secure the lag bolt?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Based on my experience with our previous TT, it likely screws into a block of wood. A 3" lag screw wouldn't do much being run into the aluminum framing. Are you sure it was run in tight to begin with, or was it sticking out and you just now noticed it? If it won't seat, it may be that the hole for it was not drilled deep enough to begin with. You may need to remove it and drill it a bit more. Check by inserting a small screwdriver or wire into the hole and see how deep it is. When you get it to seat all the way, remove it, apply some silicone to the screw and drive it home. The silicone will help prevent moisture getting in there and rotting the wood.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Had the same problem with my Landmark. The lag bolt only screws into the side of the camper. In my opinion there should have been a block of wood for the bolt to screw into ,but there was not.I used a bolt anchor and some silicone caulking to fix the problem. So far so good.

B

bwwalczak

Don't know why we didn't get the message on 2/4/09, but we have it now!!!

I will get back to you with information about why this is happening.

Thank you for your patience.

RubiconAg

We have the same situation on our 2950. After reading the thread about the 2950 with the entire back end rotted out, little things like this bolt and how it is sealed is a major concern to me. Our trailer is an 08', bought in Sept 07, so we are well out of warranty......don't have a real good comfort level right now. I guess we will see if there are any problems we get the trailer out of winter storage.

lhetsler

loose screws

I made discovery several years ago that using polyurethane glue on threads works as a permanent repair when screws are not holding or holes have enlarged. One brand name is gorilla glue. I had a trailer that a lag screw pulled out of the awning. I put gorilla glue on the threads and screwed in back in. I never had another problem with it. I also used it on an old popup tent camper one of my kids bought used. The lock down clamps on one side had pulled out screws and all. I put gorilla glue on the screws and screwed them in and they have held for years now. This glue expands to twice its size and a screw will never come loose. It works great on those hollow interior RV wall when screws strip out. The glue is very unforgiving so wipe off any excess immediately. Happy camping.

B

bwwalczak

The answer / or fix could be multiple depending on what the problem is / was.

I have spoke with our engineers here at Heartland, and they state that it could be as simple as bad threads in screws to wind pulling out screws or factory installation missing the backer blocks. Could be many different things.

In any event, what did the dealer say? The dealership will call our service department and they will take it from here.