big horn floor decking

I am new to rving and like the heartland big country the only concern i have is the OSB style floor decking. Has anyone had any problems with it getting soft from water leaks. All info is needed like i said i am new to the rving world and can't wait to go camping in my own unit instead of with everyone else.None

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Welcome to the Forum. I have a 3400 and have had water spills in my basement with no problems.
Good Luck
Wayne

B

bwwalczak

Please note that Big Country 5th wheels offer a 3 1/2" laminated floor. This is not offered in brands of 5th wheels outside of Heartland. All 2010 model Big Countrys offer the laminated floor.

Also, 2010 model year Big Countrys offer the laminted roofs.

Both features offer the highest levels of insulation (sound and thermal), plus the most strength from any components.

Big Country is the best choice, IF the best construction is one of your key buying points.

Bobby A

As all manufactures state in the owners manuals, water leaks are critical and need immediate attention. Any pro longged water contact with any wood OSB or not will damage wood. You just have to pay attention to all water connections, not that big of a deal.

SmokeyBare

Please don't confuse OSB with the sawdust type product used by the building industry for a smooth surface for vinyl floors or the base of counter tops.

Oriented Strand Board (OSB) board is quite secure, you'll see it being used by builders for roof construction, exterior wall sheeting, and sub-flooring.

Particleboard on the other hand soaks water like a sponge. It often is used for the base for counter tops when they are laminated with some form of Formica. counter tops.

BUT as bobby A said above... water will damage any type of wood product. Yes even exterior ply wood and pressure treated wood.

Here is a good link to information of the product... please check out the Frequently Asked Questions

http://osbguide.tecotested.com/osb

grizzlygiant

I had a major flooding of the living area on my Bighorn on my first outing. A poorly clamped PEX fitting let loose. We cleaned up the mess and turned a fan on to dry. It took a couple of days to thoroughly dry. No problems have rusulted. I suppose if I had let it sit for weeks/months there would have been problems--mould the worst? But to answer your question, I would not hesitate to buy a unit with GOOD OSB flooring. In fact I just bought a new Heartland Sundance (with OSB).