Fresh Water Tank Overflowing

jpmorgan37

Scott;

We have been in our Grand Canyon for over a month now. When I took delivery of our fifth wheel, after checking all tanks, they were all emptied. We have been connected to city water since we moved in and did not put any water into the fresh water tank, but this morning there was water coming out of the overflow and when I checked the level monitor, the fresh water tank was full. When I turned the water pump on, it ran for about a minute before it primed and picked up water. After running for a several minutes, the water stopped coming out of the overflow. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Scott

Tanks

I'm assuming that the water stopped coming out of the overflow because the water pump began to pull water from the tank, thus lowering the water level and stopping it from pouring out of the overflow.

If you get a chance, do a search for "overflow" on this site and read through some of the threads about way to make sure your tank is not overfilled, thus creating a reverse vacuum that suck your water out until the tank is only half to three quarters full.

ST

jpmorgan37

Hi Scott; You are correct that the water quit coming out of the overflow when I started using the pump. My question is how did the water get in to the tank in the first place? I did not put any water into the fresh water fill after the tank was emptied. My first assumption was that it backed up through the water pump, but when I started the water pump it ran for about a minute before it picked up the prime, so I have to assume that the pump and lines were not filled with water. Also, I have read the threads about the tank overfilling, overflow, and such. I have found nothing about the water tank being filled by other than the fresh water fill inlet, which I didn't use.

Thanks again,

John

Scott

Water Tank

Ahh. Now I see what you were talking about. You got me on that one. Unless there was still some water in the tank from when either we (Heartland) or the dealer put it in their for the PDI testing, and didn't drain it. Either that or you've got something connnected where it shouldn't be.

I guess the way to find out is to completely empty the tank, then hook back up to the city water and use that for a while, - then check to see if it was somehow transferred into the fresh water tank.

ST

Scott

Water Valves

Hey,
I was just reminded that every Landmark has a valve setting in the front storage compartment that would allow water to fill up the fresh water tank - even if you were just hooked to city water. SO - double check the settings on your valves as they compare to the chart (all in your front storage area behind the sliding door).

ST

jpmorgan37

Hey Scott:
That was it. I had the valves set for tank usage instead of city water use. Mystery solved. I didn't remember to switch them after I drained the fresh water tank. I really appreciate the quick response. As a footnote, I appreciate David's phone call the other day.

John

Jack Sims

I just purchased a 2006 Landmark Grand Canyon from Bill Plemmons RV. No one was able to explain the function of the 4 valves in the storage compartment. Will you please explain their use in detail. I fugured out by default the winterization setting, but the other valve positions do not make any since. I will have city water pressure regardless of the valve positions and what position, if any, do the valves need to be in to fill the fresh water tank. I have been hooked to city water with the valves all in the horizontal position (use tank water) and the fresh water tank did not fill. Will someone please explain in detail the use of these valves in the four respective positions. Bill Plemmons have not been able to answer.

jpmorgan37

Jack;

I will try to explain. Looking at the four valves, set all four in the Horizontal position for city water hook up. If you want to use water from the fresh water tank, set the left two valves in the vertical position and the right two valves horizontal. To winterize the system, the left valve will be horizontal, the next valve will be vertical, the third from the left will be horizontal and the right valve will be vertical. If you want to power drain the tank, the right valve will be horizontal and the other three will be vertical.
Hope that helps.
John

Tom of Ypsi

If Heartland is still putting in owner manuals and I am assuming they do this is explained towards the back of the manual, pictures and all. This is located along with the 7 way plug diagram and the Audio-Visual diagram. Hope this helps some.

Jack Sims

Thank you for the information so far. Two last questions. Can I fill my fresh water tank by setting these valves in some order or can I only fill it through the manual opening by the city water hook up; there is a manual drain under the coach that extends vertically through the bottom side of the coach with a valve on it. Does this drain the fresh water holding tank or does the tank have to be power drained. Lastly, there are several white lines extending below the bottom of the camper toward the rear. Are these vents for the fresh water tank or what are they.

Jack Sims

Scott said:
Hey,
I was just reminded that every Landmark has a valve setting in the front storage compartment that would allow water to fill up the fresh water tank - even if you were just hooked to city water. SO - double check the settings on your valves as they compare to the chart (all in your front storage area behind the sliding door).

ST

What is the setting of these valves to fill the fresh water tank. It is not covered in the owners manual. I have a Landmark Grand Canyon.

Jack Sims

jbeletti

Jack,

You can use the fresh-water (tank) fill port in the docking center no matter what setting you have the 4 valves set to. the fresh-water fill tube is unrestricted by valving, all the way to the tank.

As for your other questions, other forum experts will weigh in on them.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Jack;
To fill your fresh water tank, put your water hose in the water fill port in the docking center. The three hoses that extend through the covering toward the rear of the coach that you referred to are vent lines for your fresh water tank. When the water starts coming out the vents, stop filling the tank. The other hose with the valve on it that you referred to, is a manual drain for the tank. The valve settings that I gave you in my previous post directs the water through the system, depending on whether you are using the pump (you have two switches for the pump, one in the docking station and one in the entry closet, either one will operate the pump.) or are using the city water connection. If you are on city water, make sure your valves are all horizontal or you will back fill your water tank (this will take several days for it to fill). If you are using the water pump, your valves have to be set in the correct position or the pump will not pick up the water from the tank.
John