removing wheel centers

2010augusta

Does anyone know if the disc in the center of the wheel center can be removed to lube the hub bearings? It looks like it has a slot to pry it out, but I do not want to break it. I want to lube the hubs here before we leave, and don't know if I will have to remove the wheels or if I can just remove the "access" cap.

Attachments

• wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 24

jnbhobe

Yes it does snap off, then pull the rubber plus and there is the grease fitting. BUT be carefull too much grease will blow the seal and you WILL get grease on the brakes.I prefer to do it the old fashion way and replace the china seals with good double lip seals.Just my 2cents worth. JON :D :D :D

jbeletti

Yes - most of them can be pried right out using a flat blade screwdriver. I've been traveling this week and at a fuel stop, while doing a walk-around, I noticed one of my caps partially popped out. I gave it a rap with my shoe in the center of the disc and the cap reseated properly.

That all said, I have never greased my own wheel bearings. I think there is another pry-off cap on the end of the hub spindle. Jon or someone will weigh in on this I am sure.

As a warning, "if" your bearings are greasable, do not over do it and do not add grease until you see it push out the back side of the wheel.

Jim

talley

Good advice about caution on adding grease! You can, but... the directions on my 2006 Bighorn axle said to add grease until you see "fresh" grease appear. Has a disc like the Bearing Buddy on boat trailers.

Well, I followed these directions. Thought everything was OK. Later, I took rig to Camping World for repack and brake check prior to a long trip to California.

Got a call from service dept. that the brakes were FULL of grease. Well, I thought, this can't be.... I followed directions carefully. Ruined brake lining. It was more cost effective to replace assembly than to clean and replace lining.

Recommend just a few pumps when adding grease to "top off" the bearings. I kept pumping until the fresh grease appeared... just like the directions in the manual said.