NEWS FLASH: Bad Service at General RV

Hello everyone I own a Sundance 2998RB,
Today was supposed to be the day that all of my warranty issues were to be finally completed. However, it turned out at the end of the day with me being upset, frustrated, and misled. When the warranty clerk calls and "says your parts are in" and what would be a good day for you? I would assume all the parts are there and in stock. Scheduleing a time for me is difficult because of work, 3 kids schedules, and 120 miles away. So, today me and DW were just going to drop off and pick up next Saturday. (Take kids to water park on Friday and pick up Saturday) Frankenmouth is a nice tour stop. So, when we got there this morning they told us "we can do it today if your willing to wait." I was happy because it would save me a trip next week. Everything was cool at this point. So was the DW because she was ready to shop. When we returned to inspect the finish work we were in dismay. The wood molding that goes around the front bed slide was not done. The trim around the kitchen table was not finish because it wasn't seated in the groove all the way. Also, to top it off they replaced the wood molding on my big slideout that I didn't even know they were even going to do. The wood was warped the putty put on by the tech wasn't even close to color match. We had other stuff done like 2 cabinet doors and some tape trim that was done to our satisfaction. However, there error in communication or ordering parts has made me very unsatisfied. I would have never have stayed and would have been home 7hrs earlier. Plus my relatives wouldn't have had to watch are kids for 7hrs longer. They were just helping us out. I wish I could just take to my local dealer who is less than a mile from my house. I left the coach there at General and told them to call me when its completely done. That will probably be 4 weeks. Since that how long it took for these parts. I showed the service manager his tech work. He wanted to know what he could do. At that point I was just to upset. Anyways, Sorry for being to long I needed to vent some more and let other people know who own Hearland products.
michigandsl

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I too have had problems with General RV. We waited at the dealership while they were installing a part when it was done I checked and they had installed the incorrect one. This was after ordering it several weeks before hand. I could not wait and they ended up sending me the correct part which I had to change myself. I was not impressed.
Good Luck
Wayne

Tom of Ypsi

I have been to 3 differenct General RV locations and I can tell you they are all the same, terrible at best. If General was the last Heartland dealer they wwould not get my business again and all of my friends and family back in Michigan know it too. I will not even go in to get black tank cleaner they are so shoddy.

Rmcgrath53

I have had alot of work done at General RV in wixom. I can tell you I have ben there at least a half dozen times for warranty work. They evan replaced the whole outside rear panel because the delamination on outside panel. I have been pleased with all that they have done so far. The coach is near a year old andI hope all problems are done croppoing up.
Ron

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
[Sorry for being to long I needed to vent some more and let other people know who own Hearland products.
michigandsl[/quote]
Sounds like a General RV problem, not Heartland products.
Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just curious.. Why not take it to the dealer a mile away. We fulltime and have not been back to our dealer. Yes some dealers do gripe about they were not the one that sold you the trailer. Just call Heartland and have them give the close dealer a call.

You do not HAVE to take it to the dealer from where you purchased it.

Tom of Ypsi

Bob,

When I bought my Landmark the Big Horn line did not exist. Heartland was a new company and they picked the biggest dealerships they could to get for product exposure and it worked as we all know. What they did not do is pick the best dealerships for repairs but being new that was excusable. My coach could not be moved to go to another dealer so I had no choice. Scott Tuttle, Jim Fenner and Jim Beletti were very instrumental in getting my coach back on the road. Nothing but praise for Heartland and nothing for the dealership, General RV.

Thank you for all of your responses. However, the reason I took it back to General RV was because the warranty parts had already been ordered. My wife I inspected the coach 3 weeks before we took delivery. We were hopeing that all the repair work would be done. During are PDI, they couldn't give us a timeline of when the warranty parts were coming. I didn't want to get the closer dealer involved until I was all settled up with General RV.

UPDATE
Today, General RV is trying to get Heartland to ship the parts needed over night. I just hope it doesn't take 3 to 4 weeks. Also, just to eliminate any confusion. The dealer that is close to me is not a Heartland dealer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
UPDATE
Today, General RV is trying to get Heartland to ship the parts needed over night. I just hope it doesn't take 3 to 4 weeks. Also, just to eliminate any confusion. The dealer that is close to me is not a Heartland dealer.

Why did you haul it all the way to General RV in Birch Run if you live in Toledo, OH? There's a General RV in Wixom, Brownstown, Waterford and Mt. Clemens. For that matter, you could have driven to the plant in Elkhart.

soos

interesting conversation....we are headed to General RV on Saturday to take a 2nd look at the Big Horn there, but now I am wondering. there is a Heartland dealer in Ohio that wouldn't be too far for us to get to, so maybe we'll do that instead.
thanks for the heads up!
Sue

Bobby A

I have had some work done at General RV in Wixom, for the most part I was satisfied, They had the unit back to me as discussed, and the service writer and tech came out and went over every issue that was repaired. The only thing that wasn't exceptable was my slide adjustments, the tech told me it was the best he could do, but I told them it was not exceptable and the service writer told me we would have to get Heartland involved. in the mean time I took the coach to RV Capital in Elkhart because it needed a lenoleum replacement, so I figured I would pull my rig 200 miles to RV capital to do all the work because I was told RV Capital was the best. They did adjust the slideouts but really screwed up the leno job, this is a really long story. If I had to do it all over again, I would take it back to General that is 5 miles away and insist they get the slideouts adjusted correctly, as far as the leno job, they couldn't of screwed it up any worse than RV Capital. Bottom line, do not except ANYTHING that is not to your satisfaction, and make sure its documented in writing, and make sure you get customer service involved at Heartland. I have been to the factory a couple times, the men and women building our coaches are truely trying to build a quality unit, it's the shoddy workmanship at the dealerships that gives Heartland a black eye.

Last edited: