How to mount toilet paper rolls?

Dmaxcc6spd

As the title suggests - the toilet paper roll holders were shipped loose in the unit. This is my first RV and I'm curious about how to mount these. I assume an interior wall is preferred, but do I need to find at least one stud? Should I use wing anchors?

What are the tips from the seasoned camper?

Thanks!

Tom of Ypsi

We did not mount our TP holder in a stud but we did use mollies. The wing anchors or mollies should work and mount it where ever you feel comfortable for use.

2010augusta

I just glued mine on the inside of the cabinet door over the toilet, it is out of the way and yet easy to access.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I threw all that stuff out. We have a stand alone paper holder. Just lay it down when we travel. Target has some nice ones.
Peace
Dave

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Stand up holder here as well. There just was not a good place in ours that was easy to reach or out of the way. We don't lay ours down tho, but have never had it fall over. We had the same issue with a towel bar. We mounted one to the underside of the shelf over the toilet.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also use a free-stand TP holder with storage to put the extra rolls in. I used to lay it down while traveling but instead have put a small piece of velcro on the wall and post of the stand which now stays in place during travel. Works great.

Triber

Re Toilet Paper

Our '09 Big Horn 3670RL had the bathroom hardware in a bag and the dealer was going to install it. We decided to install it ourselves after considering the best location. The TP dispenser supplied would have been a hazard almost anywhere in the room.

In the end, we bought a wall mount dispenser that was easy to load and unobtrusive. I remove the hall pocket door, drilled the base holes in the appropriate space and mounted the base with two machine screws with flat and lock washers on the inside of the pocket door opening. I measured the length before buying the bolts so that they would not interfere with the door opening and closing. Now we have a solidly mounted dispenser and have had no problems with it.

On another bathroom issue, we started getting rust streaks inside our shower stall, emanating from under the shower head mount on the side of the stall. I removed the mount and discovered that the base had been mounted with common screws which were rusting. I purchased stainless steel screws at the local hardware and reinstalled the mount, applying a thin bead of clear silicone inside the bases to prevent moisture from getting in behind the base plates. Since then, wee have had no more rust streaks.

azbound

We also chose to go with a free standing holder with a storage container attached. Works well for us. Didn't want to mount on the wall for fear it would get torn off and leave a hole.

davelinde

We thought the holder supplied with the unit was a little cheesy, so DW bought a nice nickel plated holder on Amazon. It came with mounting plates that screwed into the wall and the holder clips onto the plates.

I used adhesive caulk behind the plate, drilled pilot holes and screwed into the wallboard -- missing any studs. So far, so good. I gave the kids a stern warning NOT to use it has a grab handle when getting up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We're planning on taking the cats with us when we start using our 3670. We'll use the metal covered cylinder I have to use at home to keep Max the devil cat from eating the rolls. Nothing worse than to be doing the paperwork and find its been repeatedly perforated to the core. Or to have the house interior TP'd while you're away.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
JohnDar - thanks for the laugh!!! Having cats, we know well about the 4 legged interior decorator.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John and Nabo, just how come all the "DEVIL" cats look like this????????? We even have an AWOL cat that is black.

Attachments

• crazy cat 016 (Large).jpg
    crazy cat 016 (Large).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 11

Peteandsharon

We didn't like the cheap holders supplied by Heartland so we just picked up a nicer oak holder at Lowes. A couple of anchors and the magic of JB Weld did the trick. I am a little concerned that it might take a good wack down the road and tear off the wall. That could leave an ugly mark but I guess we'll deal with that when it happens.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Got rid of the supplied holder and bought a wooden one. Mounted it with mollies and also mounted a Magazine holder that I picked up at CW. Got to have the right reading material in there.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, I have seen that video. That is baby. Every morning at 5:30 she is walking all over us (no mice) and a pain in the ---. She must be part rooster. BUT, we dont have any critters on our property. She's 14 now and can still go over a fence in a single bound.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We discovered that directly in front of the commode, in the center of the wall is a stud. We purchased a TP holder that has a single center mount with the "C" shaped holder that hangs from it. We were able to mount it directly to the stud hitting the wood with both screws. Looks and works great...really strong too!:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If all else fails, try cutting a piece of wood long enough to span across two studs, rout it and stain it to match the trim, and anchor it to the studs. Use the wood to mount items between the studs, rather than relying on the thin wall material to hold it.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I would worry more about a black tank problem then a toilet paper holder LOL! We use the stand up holder, but I like Imcclure's magazine holder idea. Kinda nasty though for the next door neighbor if you read too long. LOL