noisy underbelly

morganm12

George
I recently bought a new 05 Landmark Grand Canyon and have been in it for about two weeks. We have noticed an excessive amount of bumping, klunking type noises coming from underneath and it seems to come from first one place then another but usually from the left center. It sounds like the trailer is expanding and contracting. At times its louder than other times. I had put a tri pod under the trailair the first week and we moved so this time I left it in the truck and the unit is still klunking and bumping. One feels the bump through the floor. This is going to be a very difficult problem for the dealer as it doesn't respond on demand. This is so loud that it occassionally startles my wife. Have I bought a trailer with a busted frame???? Since sitting here typing this thread it has banged two or three times, first in front of fridge then once from up in bedroom direction. It just did it again it sounded like in the kitchen area. Its been cold and we run the heater and the bumping, klunking seems to run along the same line as the heating ducts. Sounds a lot like someone under there with a hammer or lead pipe.

Cooper

Maybe they left a worker in the belly and he is trying to get out. I doubt its a broken frame rail or you would be saging and your doors and slide out would be binding. Let us know after you get it to the dealer

K

Ken Washington

Morganm12,
There has been alot of trouble with the heat ducks poping. I beleave that this is your problem. If you look around this forum you will see alot of discussion about this and some ways to take care of it. Also there has been a problem with the furance where it is connected to the floor. Hope this helps and good luck!
Ken

madigand

Here is a link to what Jim found and repair of a noisy furnace
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=356
Hope this helps

jpmorgan37

I have to second the heat ducting making the loud cracking. We run our heat pumps most of the time but when we turn the furnace on, for the first minute or two after the furnace starts, the ducts crack. We've had it in other RV's and houses so I don't think you have anything to worry about. We are used to it now but Brandy still looks down the registers trying to figure out what's going on.

John

jpmorgan37

Well, there I go again. Talking before I get all the facts. I pulled the grill and looked at my furnace and sure enough, it was just sitting there with the two bracket to secure it to the floor, empty, that is no screws in them. So I secured it to the floor and now we will see if that improves the cracking/popping noises. At least I won't worry about it bouncing around and breaking loose. Thanks Madigand, for reminding me of that thread.

John

K

Ken Washington

That's what I thought it might be. You still might get a little noise from the duct as it heats up and cools down. Don't worry about asking before you get all the facts, the help you get from asking will save you time in the long run.
Ken

morganm12

George
Thanks to all for the quick responses. I will pass suggestions on to the dealer on Monday. I'll even ask him to check for stowaways as I bought this thing in Texas. I looked but there wasn't any hiding in the basement.

Cooper

George where is where I park it. That sound like a good place. About the stowaway sorry there are some critters we need to dispose of. We will gas him next time. PS my golden Gate furnance makes noise to. The dealer said he fixed it. He probably fix it like he did my ice box which does not work on electricity.

Last edited:

morganm12

George
Well Cooper this week its parked at Lake Conroe just above Houston. Last week it was parked at Lake Tawakoni just east of Dallas. I usually spend two weeks in a park before moving on. We belong to Thousand Trails and try to stay in their perserves exclusively. We are here at Conroe for trailer repairs. Some of the noise we get may be from the furnace or ducting but I'm thinking it may be in the hydraulics on the super slide or stress on the support struts for that slide as most of the noise seems to come from that area.
I'm still trying to learn my way around this web site. I was just learning the Montana owners site but now that I traded I don't go there.
I swear it sounds like someone at the plant put to much torque on some bolts and they are breaking one at a time. If that were the case something surely would have fallen off by now.

Cooper

I just had my icebox repaired again the thermo-coupler was bad and board. They replaced it today and I will go check it tomorrow if my soda's and beer get cold then we are ready for blast off. I will head to Midland around the 20th of April for a car show and visit some friends.

Cooper

Conroe is nice area I have friends that live in the area they love it.

Last edited:

morganm12

George
RE: Underbelly Noise

We have definitely conculed the popping noise only happens when the furnace is heating. Has anyone received feed back from the company on this annoying problem?

jbeletti

Hi morganm12,

I merged your two threads on this topic and moved them to Appliances. Please check out this thread (2 pages) under Bighorn about duct popping.

My ducts pop a bit when they are real cold. My pops are not too loud. I understand that others are pretty startling.

Hope you end up being able to alleviate some of your popping.

Jim

morganm12

George
Jim,
Thanks for the heads up on the merge of my post. If the dealer doesn't fix the problem tomorrow then I guess I will try one of the suggestions myself.
While i'm here I have another question. How did you get your pic on your signature? I tried the upload directions and failed as I can't locate a manage attachment button. I attempted the insert image on the above tool bar and all that would transfer was the path to the pic on my computer. Maybe the directions needs updated. The picture is 640x480 and 110kb and digital.

Fire1911b

Heat duct noise

For what it is worth, I sold a older RV some time ago, and once it was in for repairs I noticed that the heat duct had been sprayed with what appeared to be expanding foam at the factory, the entire length of the Rv. The dealer said it was to make it quiet an prevent heat loss. It sure worked as I never ever had any noise Thanks

Bill

jbeletti

morgannm12,

When attaching a picture to a post, use the Manage Attachments option, then Browse to the attachment, then click the Upload button. I am wondering if you skipped the Upload button process? I'll admit that the Manage Attachments facility could be a lot more intuitive than it is.

Reply, Email or PM me to let me know how you come out on this or want more assistance.

The Insert Image above the text box in the Advanced Post/Reply area is for attaching an image that is availalbe online on a hosted website - I believe.

Jim

morganm12

George
Jim,
I finally found the manage attachments box. In the tutorial it doesn't tell you that you need to click on the advance button first. I got the picture into my attchments but I don't know if it will come up on my post. That I will know when I submit this post. Thanks again.

I guess it didn't work. Oh well.

Last edited: