Hooking-Up Pullrite Superglide

Hello everyone, I was trying to hook up to my 5th wheel sundance the other day and had some difficulties. I was backing straight on the king pin. The height of the trailer was what me and wife thought it should be, but the locking pin never latched. We tried 3 or 4 times by lowering or raising trailer and no success. Its usually 13 to 15 peg holes on the front jacks. We are newbies to the 5th wheel hitch setup, but we used the pullrite owners manual. Any additional knowledge or tricks of the trade would greatly be appreciated. Thanks michigandsl

jnbhobe

DSL; The superglide can be tempermental till you get used to it. When I hook up I put quite a bit of preasure on the hitch plate so it pushes the truck down with the weight.make sure the latch wraps around the pin. The hardest thing for me is being lined up on the pin since I can't see it because of my toneau cover.Always chock the wheels and check the latch lever and pin latch. the lever won't release unless the latch has closed. JON;););)

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
You have to put some weight on the hitch as it won't close if it's "high-hitched". We also had to "bump" the pin on occasion to seat it firmly. Hooked up the cord, held the trailer brake on (landing gear down) and bumped back into the hitch. Carefully and slowly and make sure your wheels are chocked.
We like the B&W on the new truck, but sure do miss the Superglide and the way it worked.

Forrest Fetherolf

I usually plug in the trailer cord prior to last few inches of hitch pin contact especially if 5er is on leveling blocks or sloping surface. If things go wrong and vehicles start to separate.........just hit the brakes. The trailer brakes can be activated with manual override to ensure positive final hitch pin latching, then pull forward slightly with trail brakes activated as a double check both vehicles are firmly connected and to relieve contact between chocks and wheels.

Forrest

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
When I finally do get everything set up here and do hitch up for the first time..

We will all know "CAN A MONKEY RIDE A FOOTBALL"

Retyred

Pull rite

Make sure that you are lined up perfectly.
You are only allowed a few degrees off or it will not seat correctly.
The same when you uncouple, I believe the max is 16*.
Practice will make perfect.

Retyred

nemo45

I had the same problem early on with my superglide. Now, I try to touch the front of the pin box about half way up on the hitch plate. This way it pushes the hitch plate level with the capture plate sliding on the hitchplate and pushing down on the hitch. As stated before it will not latch if it is "high-hitched". This procedure will prevent that from happening. It can also be hard to unlatch. If I don't back in to a camping spot and it is a pull-thru I have to lock the brakes and back up until there is enough back pressure on the hitch to allow to pull the release lever out. There will be an audible clunk when this happens, then you can pull the lever.

rjr6150

I do pretty much same as nemo45. Once you get the hang of things the superglide is a great hitch. Just remember to lubricate the way tubes as the instructions indicate.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I like my B&W. I can connect from any direction. I also leve the pinbox a little lower than the 5th wheel so it slightly raises the trailer. I have the TrailAir Pinbox so it just compresses the pinbox. Never had a problem with the hitch releasing in any direction or of level.

Only problem with the B&W was the U-Bolts gauling. Changed the U-Bolts out to Grade 8 Bolts and steel bars. Works great and no problems.
BC

fishinrvr

I had the same problem as you the first time I hooked up my new fifth wheel. Make sure the kingpin is not sitting to high. I found it best to have the truck push the trailer up a little…well, actually the trucks suspension loads up so the trailers front landing jacks don’t lift up. Once this is done I found I need to push into it hard. As some of the other stated…once it is locked visually inspect to make sure the locking mechanism is in place, hook up your power and lock your trailer brakes with your truck in gear just to make sure you are connected properly.

For me it took a few times to get it down. Now I can have the whole thing hooked up and ready to hit the road in less than two minutes. It’s much easier than a trailer house.

Good luck and congratulation on getting a fifth wheel.