5th wheel slider

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
What size/model slider would you recommend for a new Augusta? I trust Reese but would like to hear your thoughts on other brands. I plan to order the Trail Air pin option. Thanks in advance.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob and Chris, first of all, do you need a sliding hitch? I would think a 18K hitch would do. A 20K hitch would cost a little more. I personally like my manual slide husky. But I got the slider for a specific reason to me only. A Reese will do the job. Get the one that you like, it's your hitch. I'm sure you will get more opinions. My 2cts Bob:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bob & Chris, If you have a 6-1/2 or an 8 ft box there is no real reason to buy a slider unless you are uncomfortable not having that option available to you. The design of the front cap on Heartlands almost eliminates the need for one. Sliding hitches also allow for more "slop" in the hitch which you will feel on fair to bad road surfaces. This is referred to as chucking. The trail air reduces chucking a little but not completely. The Mor-ryde pin box is better for chucking but doesn't do quite as well for the up & down motion. I think there are pros & cons for both. As for brands of hitches. I have a Reese and like it. I think hitches are like all things, the more you spend, the more you get. As always, plan for the future. You may get a bigger trailer some day. :)

jtcfishing

Bob&Chris I have had a 16k Reese slider liked it but it was noisey.We now have a 20k Kurt hitch love it!! It was recomeded by a rv hauler he was right it is a very well made hitch. We also have the trail-air you will really like it if you have pulled a camper without! Be safe see you down the road!

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Thanks for the reply. I'm new to the forum as far as posting but the friendliness and information sharing I've witnessed has helped draw us to the Heartland Brand.

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Bob & Chris, If you have a 6-1/2 or an 8 ft box there is no real reason to buy a slider unless you are uncomfortable not having that option available to you. The design of the front cap on Heartlands almost eliminates the need for one. Sliding hitches also allow for more "slop" in the hitch which you will feel on fair to bad road surfaces. This is referred to as chucking. The trail air reduces chucking a little but not completely. The Mor-ryde pin box is better for chucking but doesn't do quite as well for the up & down motion. I think there are pros & cons for both. As for brands of hitches. I have a Reese and like it. I think hitches are like all things, the more you spend, the more you get. As always, plan for the future. You may get a bigger trailer some day. :)
Ray, I'll give some more thought to the slider vs. fixed. I plan on hauling with a 2008 F350 Crew Cab w/short box and appreciate your advice.

jnbhobe

I guess I'll get in my 2cents!! Rays right you get what you pay for. With Heartland products you usually don't need a slider. That said I use a Pullrite Super Glide and the convience of not EVER having to worry about clearance is worth the money to me. PS. I had the Super Glide before I bought the Bighorn. Still worth the money. JON ;) ;) ;)

cjbearden

Visitor
We pull our 2009 Augusta with Reese 20K fixed hitch and have Mor-ryde pin. We were lucky in getting the 20K hitch because we were supposed to be getting an 18K hitch installed. Got to the shop, they didn't have the 18K (as they told us on the phone) and gave us the 20K for same price. We were in Fountain, CO at the time. There is some up/down chucking but mainly due to poor highways!