generator service

boxcar1511

It's time to change the oil on my onan 5500, has anyone tried anything other than onan oil, I would really like to go syn..mobile 1, royal purple,something along that line... has anyone gone this route

Tom of Ypsi

I do not have a generator but reading on other sites people are using Mobile 1 synthetic in the same weight as specified in your owners manual. Google synthetic oil for onan generators and you will get a wealth of info. Hope this helps.

xcflyn

I run amsoil in mine and a wix (napa gold) filter. Napa can cross the number for you (if you cant get it-let me know I have a spare I can find and get the number off it). As long as the oil meets the specs required by manufacturer you are free to go with what ever you prefer. In the motorcycle world a lot of people go with a good name brand that is readily available through common vendors like -wal mart, autozone, ect... Mobile 1 seems popular. This could easily turn into a oil debate and not all oil is the same, but like trucks, cookies, and even RV's : there are many good ones out there, choose the brand that you feel your getting the most bang for your dollar with. My .02

danemayer

I changed the oil and filter on my 5500 at 20 hours. The filter was unbelievably hard to remove. The only wrench I could get on the filter was a plastic type that cracked before loosening the factory installed filter. I won't bore you with the rest of the story, but if this is the first time on yours, find an excellent filter wrench or consider paying someone to do this for you.

Lynn1130

P5301421.JPGI posted this little tool on one of the other threads but thought that I would put it here also. To be honest I do not know where you might find it because my neighbor gave this one to me but I am sure that one of the tool suppliers would have it. It is one size fits all and was the only thing that I could find that would remove the filter that some gorilla put on my Onan.

I am using Amsoil 15W40 Diesel/Marine. The same stuff I run in my Duramax.