solar panel installation

gdog

gdog
I just purchased a solar panel which I want to install myself. After reading the instructions everything is quite straight forward. The only thing I really did not find is the best technique to mount it to the fifth wheel roof.
We have an 09 3055 which utilizes the metal framed trusses in the roof. If any of you have any advice as far as mounting procedures and the fasteners used, your expertise would be much appreciated. Thanks
gdog

SmokeyBare

I used 1 1/2 inch aluminum angle to make a frame to support 2 solar panels. I left a wide space between the rubber roof and the bottom of the solar panel to keep them cooler and so they wouldn't rub. I mounted the panels to the roof using 4 inch long aluminum angel which I trimmed a 45* at the corners that stuck up so when I wanted to raise the panels that corner wouldn't hit the back side of the panel.

These 4 inch angels were attached with 2 stainless steel bolts. I bought a product called "Well-Nuts" Here is a link: http://www.imperialinc.com/grp305.shtml

These rubber plugs have a thread molded into them... by drilling a hole through the roof sheeting... dropping a well nut in that hole... I used rubber roof sealant under the aluminum angel when I bolted it to the roof. I then sealed the edges once it was bolted in place. They ride well up there !

Attachments

• IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2243.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 305

dave10a

I contacted Hartland and they sent me the drawings for how the roof is constructed. I found the cross members with a stud finder and attached the solar panel directly to those members. The panels will withstand anything that mother nature can produce. I experimented with well nuts and simply screwing to the the material the roof is made out of and they simply would not withstand the wind forces that can be produced while traveling or hurricane force winds. As it turns out most solar panel organizations recommend the method I use to secure the panel to a roof that is constructed like mine. Be careful about the advise you a getting....... without checking it out or obtaining a professional opinion.