Convection Oven

jpmorgan37

We have the Microwave/Convection combination oven and need some expert advice. We were under the impression that the convection oven cooked faster/at a lower temperature than the conventional oven. This doesn't seem to be the case with ours. We are cooking longer at the same temperature or set the oven temp higher than before. We are preheating the oven before cooking. The microwave works great and we have only used the Micro/Convection combination once and it took longer than the cooking directions said it should. We omitted the conventional oven when we ordered so need to get this figured out. Any and all help will be appreciated.

John

BigBlue

BigBlue
Try raising the rack. We've found that it heats better when the food is in the center of the oven rather than on the rack sitting on the bottom.

jpmorgan37

Thanks for the comeback Big Blue. We are using the rack that came in the oven which raises the cooking dish about 3 inches. Our next acquisition is going to be a thermometer to check the temperature against the setting.

jpmorgan37

We bought a thermometer today and checked the oven temperatures. With the oven set at 375, the preheat signal went off at 300. It finally stabilized at 345 in another 10 to 12 minutes. I e-mailed Dometic and I'll wait to see what they have to say. At least I know why things weren't cooking in the time according to cooking instructions.

John

jpmorgan37

I got my reply from Dometic. They said to take it to an authorized service center and have the temperature verified and then they would send a new oven to the service center. Since we'll be on the move for the next few months, I'll have to come up with another plan. Maybe wait until June when we are at the Heartland Rally and see if we can change it there.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi JP
I would drop the factory a line and let them know about the problem. That way they may be able to have a replacement microwave on hand while you are at the rally. See ya there.

jpmorgan37

Thanks Fireflipper;
If we don't get it taken care of before the Rally, I'll do that and give them plenty of lead time. We used it again last night. Set the preheat at 400 and the signal went off at 250. Did the preheat again and it went to 325 and signalled. Finally stabilized at 350 with setting at 400. So for now, we set the temp 50 degrees higher than we want and it seems to work fine, at least it did last night. My bride likes to cook and we will use it a lot.

John

morganm12

George
jp the micro/convection in my GC seemed to have low power in both modes. Mentioned it to my dealer service dept and the service writer called Dometic warranty and they sent out a new unit which was larger than the original. Larger in that it was more powerful. The dealer installed the new one and it works much much better than the original. Dometic doesn't make the one that Heartland used as original equipment anymore.

jpmorgan37

George and Ruth;
Thanks for that information. We had our first one replaced and the new one still won't come up to temperature. Sue has compensated for it by setting the temperature 50 degrees higher that she wants and that way it's been working, unless you need to cook over 400 than it's a no go. The Microwave works fine, just the convection oven, and we don't have the gas oven. Thanks again for the information.
John

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
My DW hasn't even used the convection side of the micro yet. She just had to have the conventional oven when we ordered. In trying to keep the price some what down, I chose NOT to get the fireplace instead we got the oven. In the latest Trailer Life, the newest gadget for RV's now is having a dry sauna. Don't know where that would go, I just see blowing the breakers at campgrounds, sitting in a hot room in the dark, naked, asking my DW to go out and flip the breaker. Yeah, I know THAT would go over big.

jgilbert

We were in the Camping World in Ft Worth the other day and they are connected to a McClain's RV. We wandered over to check out their new models. They had a Grand Junction there that had a dry sauna in it along with two fireplaces. The dry sauna doubled as a the main closet in the bedroom. I can see it never being used as a sauna! If you use it as a sauna, then you have NO place to hang your duds.

I thought is was a stupid idea.

Joe