Slides pushing in with high winds

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
2 days ago I read a post from "GOLDWINGERS" about the top of their slides blowing in with high winds. I gave this some thought, (sometimes it hurts), but I may have solution. Truckers use what is called a LOAD-LOK to keep there loads from shifting. Since the slides are only held in place by the tubes at the bottom, then they will blow in at the top. If you where to install a LOAD-LOK at the top of the slide, they should not blow in. A LOAD-LOK is a adjustable 2 piece tube that has a ratchet in the middle. It also has a square foot at each end with rubber glued to it. If you were to place it between the 2 slides at the bottom of the top facia and ratchet it out to put slight pressure on the slides, it would keep them from pushing in. To keep from marking up the wood, I would glue some carpet on the feet. They used to be about $90.00 and any truckers supply or truck stop should have them. I did check the height on my slides, so if your not 6' 9" you could walk under them while in place. Just thought I would throw this out for my 2 cts worth. Bob:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You could probably do a similar thing with a piece of pvc with caps on the ends. Measure the distance from the wall to the slide trim, add maybe a half inch, cut the pvc and cap it and wedge it in place between the wall and slide trim. Cheap, light weight and easy to store. The BIG question is, should the slide react this way when in windy situations? I'm not so sure it should but this may be a temporary solution for a few dollars. Do you have slide toppers that are billowing in the wind? If so, that may add to the problem as they may be acting like a "sail" and help by lifting the slide?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You could probably do a similar thing with a piece of pvc with caps on the ends. Measure the distance from the wall to the slide trim, add maybe a half inch, cut the pvc and cap it and wedge it in place between the wall and slide trim. Cheap, light weight and easy to store. The BIG question is, should the slide react this way when in windy situations? I'm not so sure it should but this may be a temporary solution for a few dollars. Do you have slide toppers that are billowing in the wind? If so, that may add to the problem as they may be acting like a "sail" and help by lifting the slide?
After reading Bob & Patty's post again, I finally realized they were thinking of using the load locks inside the trailer. My suggestion would be used outside on the top of the slide.

Peteandsharon

I would never have thought of needing to lock the slide out in the open position with something like the load-lok. Having said that, though, I used something similar to lock the slideout closed while travelling in a previous Sunnybrook travel trailer. The dealer explained that a slideout can if fact bounce a little bit while travelling which would cause it to go in and out a little at the top. He said that pounding had a negative effect on the seals over time. Hence not a good thing. He provided a set of poles with rubber feet at each end which you wedged betwen the inside wall and the front of the slide when it was completely retracted. Sounds like a similar deal to the load-lok except they were not adjustable. They had been cut to fit. Probably provided by Sunnybrook themselves.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
How high the winds and how long have you been parked? Sounds like the hydraulic fluid is bleeding back into the reservoir. Probably a a weak valve.

Bob&Patty

Everyone has a good point. My only thought was that the slides are only connected to the coach at the bottom. The reason I suggested the load-lok's was, in our coach I could hold both LR slides with just 1. They are not hard to store. If they will hold a 40K load in place I bet they would hold 2 slides. It was just an idea. Bob:D

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Bob and Patty...I have to agree. Slides are only connected at the bottom, and this will happen even if they are electric slides.

Happened on my old Holiday Rambler in 50+mph winds...solution!! With electric slides you get what are called "slide locks"...I took them outside and installed them until the wind was over....no more rocking. Worked perfectly. :D

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Lefty the bottom of ths slide did not blow in, only the top and there is nothing to hold them in place. The winds were gusting to 75 mph. I had thought about something like the load locks but dear wife thinks that it might break the facing on the slides and I can not say for sure that she is not right. I am a good size guy and I tried putting all my weight against the slide but I couldn't come close to holding it.

SmokeyBare

Perhaps a Couple of carefully cut 2x4 placed on the slide room roof... from the slide room's trim to the RV's side wall would help prevent the inward movement. I would cut them so they would just fit and not need to be Jammed in too tightly.

Just a thought...

Marv

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Perhaps a Couple of carefully cut 2x4 placed on the slide room roof... from the slide room's trim to the RV's side wall would help prevent the inward movement. I would cut them so they would just fit and not need to be Jammed in too tightly.

Just a thought...

Marv

I think the point is you should not have to do that. If that is happening, then something is not right.

Bob&Patty

Jim, I really don't think there is a problem with the design. It's a law of physics. The slide is only hinged at the bottom. A 12' slide has alot of area for wind to blow against (96 sq'). I wonder how much pressure the thin top molding's on the slides would take. The side wall's might take alot or they could crack at the edge. Goldwinger's DW might be right. But my thought was to put the locks at the lower edge of the facia where they are stapled the the slide. That way the the load-lok is putting pressure on the edge of the slide. With the ratch action of the load-lok you could carefully push the slide out to seal against the wall. I guess I was just thinking out loud. BTW, 50-75 mph winds, wow. that can snap off a big tree.:eek: Bob

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim, I really don't think there is a problem with the design. It's a law of physics. The slide is only hinged at the bottom. A 12' slide has alot of area for wind to blow against (96 sq'). I wonder how much pressure the thin top molding's on the slides would take. The side wall's might take alot or they could crack at the edge. Goldwinger's DW might be right. But my thought was to put the locks at the lower edge of the facia where they are stapled the the slide. That way the the load-lok is putting pressure on the edge of the slide. With the ratch action of the load-lok you could carefully push the slide out to seal against the wall. I guess I was just thinking out loud. BTW, 50-75 mph winds, wow. that can snap off a big tree.:eek: Bob

You are correct...the opening for the slide has plenty of framing. That's what makes the sidewalls rigid enough to travel when the slides are in. Placing a slide lock, or similar bar/rod, etc., will not hurt the wall or the edge of the slide. Just be sure to place the end which is on the slide lip squarely over the metal, close the outer slide wall, and not out on the edge, and the end on the wall of the unit, as close to the opening as possible...that's where the framing will be.

Have done it in the past and it works...better than the constant back and forth motion on the slide mechanism...that's bound to cause problems eventually, and most likely cause the slide to be out of adjustment at the very least. Did this in 50+mph winds which were hitting the big DS slide broadside...no problem.

timk

Guys, if the wind is blowing 75 mph, you should be putting in the slides, and looking for a hole to get into. Not necessarily in that order.