TWO BIG thumbs up for DirecTV Support

2010augusta

I have been full timing in Texas for a month and a half. I have a crank up winegard dish, but I could not find ANY signals. I himed and hawed about calling for a service call for the first 3 weeks, but eventually decided it would be worth the cost to have the satellite working along with the cable. I call C/S and told them that I have moved to Texas in an RV and my service stopped working. To my suprise they said that it would still qualify as a move for their current offer, and they would come out for free to setup the entire system once a year. I am in a very small town in the middle of nowhere, so it a couple weeks to get a tech here. We tried to aim the winegard, and decided that a tree must be in the way, so I disconnected all the cables and hoses and moved the trailer back about ten feet in the site, trying to clear the tree. We tried again, but kept getting very odd signal strengths jumps, so the tree was still affecting something. He went ahead and gave me a new dish, tripod mount, and a lot of coax. Set it up at the back of the 5'er, and volia, we got signal. The recivers were down so long he had to call C/S and have them do their magic. 5 minutes later everthing is up and running. I now have a roof mounted dish and a tripod. Hopefully the next place we go I will have a clearer view, so I can use the windgard, but I could not turn down a free tripod.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yep...that's the only drawback to a roof mounted dish...always need to have the portable dish stashed somewhere! But Lord knows we've GOT to have the satellite...LOL!! Glad they got you working.

SmokeyBare

Alan,

Glad you got the dish fixed finally... now it's time to pick up a signal meter so when the next time your blocked by trees you'll just pull out the tripod dish... connect the cable and use the signal finder to get your system working. You can always find them at Camping World... but in my view they are over priced... they can be also found on EBAY... if your willing to order them from that Internet site.

Good Luck,

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
In our travels, we have had problems sometime finding the signals. We have a HD dish that we put on a tripod when the signal allows, but sometime ya just got to get higher to get a clear shot to the satellites. I have come up with a pvc mount (10'piece of pipe) that I put on the inside of the back ladder with a screw cap that I put on the post of the dish. The dish is light enough that I just pull it up with a rope to the roof and attach it to the top of the pvc pipe. Most of the time this works but sometimes I have had to raise the pipe a little higher to get to the signal. I just loosen the u-clamps, slide the pipe up higher on the ladder, and then reclamp it. Since I've done this, only once did I not get a signal and that was in Sanford FL in a campground that was totally covered in live oaks. Ahwell.