If stuff like this makes you squirm move on...Cause its known as Leg, Rattle and Roll

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
As Shakespeare was once heard to remark, " To MAS or not to MAS" there ain't no question. This ain't your Grandpa's peg leg. Things have really changed in the last 20 years.

Marlo Anatomical Socket
masopen.jpg
c-leg.jpg

I'v been working on getting fitted for this socket since last year. As of yesterday, I think we are almost there. The white device is the socket the black is used to support and contain the plastic insert. I am currently on my 8th test socket. The little tab on the right is what my entire weight is balanced on. It and the raised portion on left is what allows me to walk. The apparatus is held on by suction between my remnant and the bottom of the socket. We are still working on the best way to don the socket. And, it is a bear. Removing the socket entails removing a plug and breaking the vacumn and doffing is fairly easy once the vacuum is removed. All and all, I'm getting pretty happy about the leg. My morale is up. And, it's been riding pretty low since before Thanksgiving.

Below is the socket for my training leg and my old walking leg. You can visually see the difference between the two sockets. This one works on the same principle as the first. But, the implementation is vastly different. This socket may be appropriate for many body types and varying degrees of ability...but, it's just not for me.
ComfortFlexclean.jpg
You can compare the two sockets and see the differences. This was the most uncomfortable socket that I ever worn. And, no amount of adjustment could ever make it fit correctly. The local prosthesis guy did not seem to want to make it fit correctly. I never got so tired of hearing, "There is alway going to be some irritation" or "You are just going to have to adjust and adapt to the pain." No, homey don't play that game. :mad:

My response, besides a lot of profanity, was to find another company and talk to them. The problem is that until you have owned the leg for about a year before you even know what questions to ask. The more I looked at their work and discussed my current situation with Tidewater, the more I was convinced that they were the people to get my C-Leg working. So far, so good.

My biggest problem with my first vendor was to get him to believe this C-Leg was not operating properly. If the leg was going to shutdown because of some internal problem, there was no notice. You'd just go down. This situation doesn't lead to much confidence in your equipment. If the book says yes and your leg says no. Somethings broken.

My second vendor, Tidewater Prosthetics, has spent months getting the fitting correct. But, even they were hesitant to admit that there was any problem with the C-Leg. Probably because of liability issues.

I finally got the knee back to the manufacturer, but only after I offered to remove both their hearts with a spoon. When I went in Tuesday, they told me that the leg was broken, surprise, surprise. They could not set it up because their computer was down. After a little more prodding, on my part, they told me that Otto Bock had rebuilt the leg. The software was 18 months out of date. The version I was running had known problems. And, I had only had the leg a little over a year.

So, I've pretty much got a new leg. The only thing original in it is the plastic shell. All the hydraulics were replaced along with the valves, computer interface, and finally the compute itself with new chips and updated operating system. The bluetooth on this thing now works too. The last thing to check is to see if the warning "chirp" works. It never did before.

The first vendor had the leg for nearly 6 weeks...and in all that time truly did nothing to correct my complaints. When I picked up the leg, for the last time, he had not charged the battery. It's impossible to program the leg without the battery being charged. So, he either did not know what he is doing...or just plain did not give a whoop. Or worse, knew exactly what he was doing and lied about it fixing the leg. That's why I changed vendors. Too many incorrectly answered questions to chance it.

And, if I run into any problems with Tidewater Prosthetics, I'll find yet another vendor. The nice thing about working through the VA is that I can take my prosthetic to any vendor on the VA's approved list. It's a major benefit to me. I can keep moving until I find a company I feel good about.

I return in 2 weeks for another fitting and maybe bringing it home for a couple of weeks to play with the fit. I'll get a chance to find out more about it then.

Finally, while I personally prefer the Robocop look..others may want to play down the "Look! I'm different" aspect and go for a leg cover. If you notice the foot...they can make the entire leg look like that..and match it to your skin tone down to the freckle> I know one young lady that has the entire leg "tiger" striped. I had an American & Vietnamese flag on my first leg. Kind of like this:

wavyflags.jpg

Click here for the C-Leg wiki: My Leg Wiki--Read it, it makes sense

Last edited:

truknutt

Committed Member
That's very interesting, Lefty. Now I can visualize what you are are ranting about! :D

Reeeeeally glad to see that your morale is up, though. I was wondering about some of those past postings. Whew, this guy has some major attitude!!

Glad to see that nearly everything is coming together for you: truck, trailer mods, limb, etc.

You'll be "running" around the campgrounds chasing the women and squirrels before you know it! :rolleyes:

irvin56

Sorry

You'll be "running" around the campgrounds chasing the women and squirrels before you know it! :rolleyes:

or running WITH THE SQUIRRELS:eek:

All the things your dealing with and GOING ON MAY DRIVE YA NUTS:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
...and I get cranky if my socks fall down in my fire boots :eek:. Hope you get that thing tuned right soon!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The New "NEW" Leg

The leg has arrived. After many false starts, do overs, and many, many sockets.

The main work is done. There will be some fine tuning to be done as I progress through physical therapy.

//heartlandowners.org/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=178

No matter how good it is...it will never be as good as what you were born with...unless you watch Star Trek. But, the difference between this one and my old one is the difference between daylight and dark.

Here's a close-up of the business end of the socket. For the prosthetic world this is a radical departure from the normally accepted way of attaching the leg to the human body.

//heartlandowners.org/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=186
The biggest hangup was getting that little ear, on the left side of the prosthesis shaped and fitted properly. That little knob is what you "ride" on while you are using the leg...and it allows the maker to radically reduce the amount of socket that you have to have to wear with this blasted thing. The large notch to the rear is to allow me to sit down without sitting on the rear of the leg..and, trust me, this really makes the leg feel much more comfortable.. The part that looks like a saddle is exactly that. This part presses against the external side of the hip bone and acts as a stabilizer. It keeps the leg from oscillting while I walk...and prevents rotation of the entire leg...yeah, you can walk with the thing on backwards.

The whole purpose of this thing, other than to walk on, is to allow them to reduce the size of the socket (the white part) and to reduce the amount of contact between my leg and the prosthesis. Every ounce that they can remove saves you energy when you walk. And, it takes 3X the energy for me to walk when compared to a normal person. So, any reduction in mass allows you to save energy, which allows you to walk further.

So, this ends the saga of Lefty's Leg. It's been two other legs and two years of frustration to get to this point.

Now, it's re-starting PT again. You'll know when it begins, you will hear the screams coming from the Norfolk VA Hospital.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Interesting. And I like your decoration on it.

Again ignorance on my part, but how do you remove it. Does it just pull off or is that little knob by the knee to relieve the vacuum between you and it? I ask because of the possibility of encountering one while responding to an emergency. Never seen a prosthetic like that up close and personal. Good for us to know how to deal with it, should the need to remove it in the field arise.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Interesting. And I like your decoration on it.

Again ignorance on my part, but how do you remove it. Does it just pull off or is that little knob by the knee to relieve the vacuum between you and it? I ask because of the possibility of encountering one while responding to an emergency. Never seen a prosthetic like that up close and personal. Good for us to know how to deal with it, should the need to remove it in the field arise.

My prothetic guy relays a tale of where they did not know how to take the leg off...and they cut it off the guy. That was one expensive learning experience.

You're correct the white device is for adjustment of the normal vacumn you get putting the leg on. And, it has to be removed to take the leg off. There is a little button on the big button that will relive the vacumn...but, it's a lot better to take the plug out completely. Even then, there is a lot of friction between the leg and the socket. It can be pretty painful for the leg to be quickly removed.

JohnDar

My prothetic guy relays a tale of where they did not know how to take the leg off...and they cut it off the guy. That was one expensive learning experience.

You're correct the white device is for adjustment of the normal vacumn you get putting the leg on. And, it has to be removed to take the leg off. There is a little button on the big button that will relive the vacumn...but, it's a lot better to take the plug out completely. Even then, there is a lot of friction between the leg and the socket. It can be pretty painful for the leg to be quickly removed.

Thanks, your photos and info just might end up in a future vehicle extrication class.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Well, it's official

I get to make another trip to the VA on the 15th of April. This is for an evaluation of how my prosthesis works and my capabilities to learn to walk. They get to tell you if you're gonna have to use a crutch or cane the rest of your life.

Then it's in for 3 times a week for 12-15 weeks in "Anthony's House of Pain". I'm looking forward to it...about qs much as when I climbed onto the Flying Tiger Airlines plane headed for Vietnam. Endless hours spent walking on the parallel bars, streching exercise and such.

I'm not joking here kiddies...this hurts! For days and days. This residual stuff hangs around, you get tortured on Monday and that particular part still hurts on Friday. But, don't worry..you get tortured again on Wednesday.

I have to say one thing. Should you EVER get into any VA Program and they get serious about getting you taken care of it's gonna get done all the way. No half-a**ed stuff. These guys are gonna do their job. You better be ready to do yours.

I'm ready.

SmokeyBare

Good Luck with the dance lessons Lefty... I'm sure Anthony will let you lead some times !!! :)

I was wondering if you were going to make it to the Heartland Rally at Goshen... but now I see what you'll be doing... Maybe one of the other Rallies one day...

I hope Anthony finds you a quick study and gives you a passing grade early.

Marv

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Good Luck with the dance lessons Lefty... I'm sure Anthony will let you lead some times !!! :)

I was wondering if you were going to make it to the Heartland Rally at Goshen... but now I see what you'll be doing... Maybe one of the other Rallies one day...

I hope Anthony finds you a quick study and gives you a passing grade early.

Marv

Starts next week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. For a month. The will reevaulate and set up another block if needed.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The hits just keep coming!

I'm moving right along, but still have a long way to go. Three times a weeks is very tiring. Makes me glad to see the weekend.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Leg, Rattle and Roll -- or PSST! Senor you wanna try an experimental leg??

What can I say...I'm a sucker for new sh*t...or so the leg guy says. I've been coerced, threatened, promised and otherwise beaten into submission with it comes to ease of donning and comfort while wearing. Ok, I admit it...no pain means lots of gain.

One of the problems that you run up against is the fact that over a period of time, you remenant loses mass. Which normally means a new socket. The socket has to fit snuggly but not bind or rub. There's all kinds of tricks that they can play with padding, shims, and other tools of torture. But, nothing beats a shiny new socket for good fit.

And, no matter how much the VA promises you only get what you can beat them into submission on. The VA is not user friendly and while there are some good people working there...you still run up against the guy that is on a power kick and will deny you stuff just because he can...not because it's not needed.

A young Afghan Vet, who is a dual amputee, was denied services by the local VA as not needed. This was determined by the local "Leg Czar". The guy did not cause a scene, he just left quietly.

The next morning he returned to the VA accompanied by reporters from two local TV stations...*AND* cameras. He departed two hours later being pushed out to his car by the VA Hospital Administrator. He's getting his prothesis. No farther problems anticipated. And, I think with the home phone number of the Hospital Administrator.

The Prothetics Department has suddenly taken it upon itself to become the "Dr NO" for the VA. They are beginning to act if it's THEIR money instead of the taxpayers. It's take me 8 weeks, some physical coercion, a threat of grevious bodily harm and a request to meet with the hospital administrator, for me to get a new socket. I must have done a good job as I have been picked for a experimental socket...the first one in the state of Virginia. Yeah, and Snow White was my aunt too.

The fitting began today and will take another 8 weeks or so of modifications before I can return to physical therapy. The new concept is supposed to keep the volume of my remnant (stump) at a more constant level. This is supposed to reduce/eliminate the requirement for multiple socket mods over the period of a couple of years. The system is supposed to be even easier to use and make walking better. Because the fit is so secure it's supposed to enable me to walk with no crutches or canes. I'll know more about this later. I go back next week to try out the initial set-up. This thing also uses an active vacuum while I put the leg on. In other words, it will pull it's self onto my leg versus my pushing into the socket. And, the socket contains a battery powered vacuum pump that will sense any vacuum loss and automatically remove air as needed. It's hocus-pocus right now.

I was also given the opportunity to participate (and which I declined) in a new concept that implants a titanium rod into the femur of my leg and allows the attachment of a new type of powered leg. Think I'm gonna pass on this one...being a test jig is one thing...becoming bionic is another. Buck Rogers I ain't.

More as it develops.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Stay on top of 'em Lefty. It's great to see guys (and gals) like you pushing the VA to perform it's moral imperative. We need more of a "can do" attitude in that organization; maybe require everybody who works there to be a veteran?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Stay on top of 'em Lefty. It's great to see guys (and gals) like you pushing the VA to perform it's moral imperative. We need more of a "can do" attitude in that organization; maybe require everybody who works there to be a veteran?

I wish. All the good ones seem to be Vets...its the civilians that leave a little to be desired.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Lefty.. Go ahead and get the new bionic socket. If it is motorized you can climb up a mountain and let it do all the work. Me.. I have to sit down after a hundred or two feet. Knees going bad.....

Are you ever going to get on the road? We will be coming up the east coast next year. If your still in Virginia?? Your datastorm update is not up to date..

BC

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hay Lefty.. Go ahead and get the new bionic socket. If it is motorized you can climb up a mountain and let it do all the work. Me.. I have to sit down after a hundred or two feet. Knees going bad.....

Are you ever going to get on the road? We will be coming up the east coast next year. If your still in Virginia?? Your datastorm update is not up to date..

BC

At 17 pounds and requiring the implant of a titanium rod into the femur of my leg...I think I'm gonna have to pass.

Buy a segway, I am this spring.

I'm still in Chesapeake and the position is correct.

Lefty-
I'm in your shoe (Right AKA) as well, although still on active duty. My recommendation is to try a VA authorized prosthetist outside of the actual VA. The volume of the stump should stabilize and remain steady for months/years at a time. I get liners every 6 months, but they are typically the same size.

Drop me a line and I'll give you specifics.
Jack

jimtoo

Hi SliderLVMC,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Thank you for your service to our country. Hope you gain some information and also provide some of our members with new or helpful information also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M