Experience w/New La Mesa Dealer in Sanford Florida

MrMike

I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with the new La Mesa dealer in Sanford FL, good or bad. We're in the market for a new travel trailer and they carry the one we're interested in, they just didn't have it on the lot. The experince was worse than the worst used car high pressure sales pitch that I've ever had. It started out with if they had to order a unit it would be full price. Oh, and they had a neat little home made MSRP sheet stuck to the window. The guy also said he wouldn't work on any unit that wasn't purchased there. That was an ignorant statement as the service bays were busy with rv's being worked on that couldn't have been purchased there. But we're thinking about giving them another chance since they are very close and we would need to have the unit serviced at some point. We're afraid if we purchased a unit from a wholesale dealer we couldn't get it fixed here.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mrmike, I assume you are looking at a Heartland product, as you didn't state that. High pressure sales people really turn me off, so I understand your concern. One thing to do is go to Heartlandrvs and locate another dealer in your area. That's how I found my dealer. Ten minutes from home and I never knew they sold Heartland products. I'll bet you will find someone not quite as arrogant and easier to work with. I feel the sales person represents the dealer as a whole. Are you going to get the same treatment when you go for service? And one more thing that would concern me is "full price". There is no such thing in todays market. Just my thoughts. Good Luck. Heartland rocks.
Peace
Dave

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with the new La Mesa dealer in Sanford FL, good or bad. We're in the market for a new travel trailer and they carry the one we're interested in, they just didn't have it on the lot. The experince was worse than the worst used car high pressure sales pitch that I've ever had. It started out with if they had to order a unit it would be full price. Oh, and they had a neat little home made MSRP sheet stuck to the window. The guy also said he wouldn't work on any unit that wasn't purchased there. That was an ignorant statement as the service bays were busy with rv's being worked on that couldn't have been purchased there. But we're thinking about giving them another chance since they are very close and we would need to have the unit serviced at some point. We're afraid if we purchased a unit from a wholesale dealer we couldn't get it fixed here.

Be a gentleman about it...take the cigarette out of the corner of your mouth before you tell this clown to kiss your ***********. The market is just a little tight for this dealer to play high opera.

And, the economy is too bad to have people like this representing Heartland. I wonder just how many Heartland Sales are blow by dealers just like this one.

I think you are going to find, in the coming months, that Mr I only Do the Ones I Sold, is out of business...and a lot fo the Service What I Sell Only...getting blurry vision and not so particular.

Find another dealer.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Run, Don't Walk to Another Dealer

Cookie and Lefty are 100% right. Find another dealer ASAP! Just my 2cents.

bill40

Mrmike,
This sounds very much like Boat n RV and they no longer represent Heartland. Look around!!

MrMike

Cookie, I went to the Heartland website and did the dealer search several weeks ago. The problem is the model we're looking for is an entry level one. There are only a handful of Heartland dealers in Florida that carry them, a lot of other Heartland dealers nearby only carry the higher end stuff.

We can get one wholesale in IN or OH but what happens when we need it serviced? Does this guy refuse, or put me off so long that its not worth it?

Just to clarify the guy that was our salesman was very nice. It was his "boss" that was rude and talked down to us. The boss is the guy the salesman goes to for "approval" of the proposed price. Then follows what I call the dog and pony show where the boss tries to work you over on the price. I know they need to make money. I know it costs money to get the units down here to Florida from where they're built. That's fine. Give me a price you need to make money and don't sit there making ingnorant statements like, "You're not going to steal this rv from me". I'm a middle aged self employed adult with money to spend and my wife and I don't like being treated like that.

During the negotiation we thought we were trying to buy a unit that they had "coming in", that was what we wanted. The "boss" said no, we're talking about the one on the lot, and we didn't want that one.

In re-reading everything I guess I know the answer, go somewhere else. Its just frustrating that the dealer is so close I'll be forced to go somewhere else and when the unit needs servicing I'll cross my fingers that he gets it done before the next ice age sets in.

tkdmike

Mr Mike,

We had nearly the same experience. The first dealer we went to went through the high pressure stuff, undercut us on the trade in, did not show us the specific trailer I wanted to see, and then tried to pressure us into buying a different brand. They are a big and well known Heartland dealer in our area. After reading on this forum that their service was questionable, we did the dealer search and ended up taking a little longer drive to go somewhere else.

This dealer has been great, knows his stuff, worked with us on pricing, and has followed through. They are smaller and further, but well worth the trouble. One thing that helps me is doing a lot of the work myself so I haven't been overly worried about the service issue. Hope things work out for you.

Mike

Hogladyrider

Thanks for the Laugh

We also went to La Mesa in Sanford to look at a Landmark they had on the lot, specifically to check out the dual pane windows as most dealers in Florida do not have units with dual pane windows.

I laughed out loud when I read your post as we felt the exact same way!

There are other Heartland dealers in Florida, Tradewinds in Ocala is an excellent dealer.

Our approach is we are looking and looking and also pricing on the internet and there is a HUGE difference in price. We are willing to drive to p/u our RV to save the destination charges which in Florida often are in the $2k range!

I can not tell you how many dealers we have been to that the sales approach has turned me off completely, they do not even know the product, we do our homework before we go to a dealer. When this happens it is my sign to leave and go elsewhere, I work too hard for my money to give it to someone uneducated.

Keep looking and don't look back.

MrMike

Great Lakes RV

Fortunately we were able to sell our TT so a trade in is not an issue. We pickup our new Heartland North Country in Elkhardt IN in a little over a week. We've been working with Gary and he has been great. Great prices on everything from the customized unit we ordered down to the new hitch and accessories. No muss, no fuss and no dog and pony show or high pressured sales pitch. We told him what we wanted, he told us how much it was, what a relief! Saved between 2-3 thousand dollars over the local dealer and all the drama the local dealer would've provided. We can't wait to pick it up!

Hogladyrider

Please Share With Us!

Fortunately we were able to sell our TT so a trade in is not an issue. We pickup our new Heartland North Country in Elkhardt IN in a little over a week. We've been working with Gary and he has been great. Great prices on everything from the customized unit we ordered down to the new hitch and accessories. No muss, no fuss and no dog and pony show or high pressured sales pitch. We told him what we wanted, he told us how much it was, what a relief! Saved between 2-3 thousand dollars over the local dealer and all the drama the local dealer would've provided. We can't wait to pick it up!

Congratulations on the new purchase!

Please share with us the name of the dealer you finally made the purchase thru.

MrMike

Great Lakes RV

The name of the Heartland dealer is Great Lakes RV. Very friendly and understanding of our endless questions. The only down side Elkhardt IN is almost to Michigan. We have the time to make the trip especially since it is saving us almost $3k. They have great prices on their accessories also. We're getting a new hitch, electric tongue jack, etc.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The name of the Heartland dealer is Great Lakes RV. Very friendly and understanding of our endless questions. The only down side Elkhardt IN is almost to Michigan. We have the time to make the trip especially since it is saving us almost $3k. They have great prices on their accessories also. We're getting a new hitch, electric tongue jack, etc.

We Michiganders take umbrage with that remark. You can come on up to Michigan anytime, we won't eat you...well maybe not all at once, anyways.:eek:

wdk450

Warranty Service

We can get one wholesale in IN or OH but what happens when we need it serviced? Does this guy refuse, or put me off so long that its not worth it?
Mike:
Heartland can and does approve 3rd party reputable RV repair companies to do needed warranty work. They even have a list of approved 3rd parties in your area, but will accept someone else with the right credentials.

MrMike

BBQ Sauce

People from Florida are good, slow roasted with BBQ sauce. Name withheld

Now that you reminded me we need to pick up another dozen bottles of Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce while we're in Indiana. Only place we can find it and we're almost out of our stock from last year. Oh, we leave Thursday April 16th to pick up our trailer from Great Lakes RV in Elkhart. We'll be sure to watch out for those funky northern bath tubs.