Stabilizing the front of the FW

patrick1945

I use the tripod and landing gear to stabilrize the front of my "ultralite" trailer when parked.

However there are 7 Heartland units nearby that do not use the tripod BUT some use jack stands, concrete blocks, blocks of wood and bottle jacks.

Do I need something in addition to the landing gear and tri-pod or is there a better way?

Tom of Ypsi

I agree with the JT stabilizers. We have a knock off brand, US made, that was cheaper than JT's but has the same quality. Our king pin stabilizer was sold at a park sale for more than I thought I would get.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I use the tripod and landing gear to stabilrize the front of my "ultralite" trailer when parked.

However there are 7 Heartland units nearby that do not use the tripod BUT some use jack stands, concrete blocks, blocks of wood and bottle jacks.

Do I need something in addition to the landing gear and tri-pod or is there a better way?

Anything that stops the rocking makes for a better trip...but, unless you get sesick easily or plan on having a dance...in a word...not really on an ultralight.

Taz Devil

JT's

I just installed the JT's that were on my TT. I called JT and they sent me all the hardward to convert it over to the 5er. They worked great on the TT we will see how they are on the 5er now.

Kevin

PacMan4x4

TOM....

What brand did you end up going with? Lookin' for the cheapest way to get these done, yet with quality results :)

Forrest Fetherolf

I made my own stabilizers for about $40.00.

Forrest

Attachments

• RV Jack Stabilizer 001.JPG
    RV Jack Stabilizer 001.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 172
  • RV Jack Stablizer 006.JPG
    RV Jack Stablizer 006.JPG
    410.8 KB · Views: 171
  • RV Jack Stsbilizer 007.JPG
    RV Jack Stsbilizer 007.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 155

Tom of Ypsi

Pac Man

Wish I could remember, CRS has set in. I ran across them at a dealership outside of St Louis, Mo. If I remember I will let you know.

SmokeyBare

Patrick,

I have used a King pin tripod to help with the movement of our BigHorn. We could still get movement as one of us was in the front of the rv... and the other in the back.

I just installed a set of stabilizers and found a remarkable difference... even before I had all insalled... I could tell it was helping. I have yet to remove the King Pin tripod to see if it will make any difference. I'll do that today... just so I know. If it doesn't... I'll be getting rid of the Tripod.

The brand I bought was " Plug It Right " here is the link:

http://hstrial-dirrgang.homestead.com/

Peteandsharon

Hey guys, A couple of questions on these stabilizers. First of all, where do you guys typically install them? Is it at the landing gear or the rear stabilizer and how many do you install? Secondly, Campingworld has the BAL stabilizers for $60 right now. Anyone have any experience with them? And finally, where did you find the JT stabilizers mentioned above? Are they significantly different from the BAL? Thanks. Pete

Forrest Fetherolf

I already have the tri-pod. Would I see an improvement if I discarded the tripod and used a stabilizer like yours?

Patrick,

I had the tripod before installing the stabilizers, I gave the tripod away at our last Las Vegas Chapter Rally. The stabilizers work better, quick and easy, and no need to find a place to store them.

Forrest

jpmorgan37

I have the JT Stabilizers and also use a bipod (two legs). One mistake that a lot of folks have made is trying to use a tri or bipod with a Trailaire hitch (or any hitch with an airbag). The airbag defeats the purpose of the tripod, unless it is totally deflated. Anyway, with the JT's, the bipod still helps ours to some degree. I have a MorRyde hitch.

John

Forrest Fetherolf

The tripod reduces side to side motion and some front to rear. The front landing jacks carry all the front end weight eliminating vertical movement except for slight flex that might occur in cantilevered hitch-pin area. The tripod worked with my trailair hitch-pin, but was just a pain to install and store.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

Ok Forrest, did you have to "manufacture" the parts for your stabilizers, or were you able to pull parts "off the shelf", so to speak, to assemble your units? I would do anything to have a set of the X braces EXCEPT pay $360 for 'em.

Edit: Do you think you need 6 braces, or is 2 or 3 enough? From what know about "let in" brace technology 2 might be plenty, thanks.

Forrest Fetherolf

Rog,

All parts were off the shelf as you can see by the pictures, cost about $40.

Aluminum .058 tubing, 6'-3/4" & 7'-7/8" tubing from Industrial Steel...$6.00
Brackets from Hooks & Lattice...$26.00
1" dia. vinyl hose sleeve from Ace Hardware...$.05
#12 x 3/4" Self taping screws & 5/16 bolts w/nuts...$3.00
Thumbscrew speed clamps for Checker Auto Parts...$4.30
Flattened tubing ends in vise and drilled 5/16 hole for bolts.
Simple aluminum "L" brackets cut 2" long from 2"x 2" "L" stock could be substituted for Hooks and Lattice brackets....save another $23.00
The only tricky thing is that I added a bead of weld on both sides of the 4 end brackets for additional support.

I also installed Bal 7000 lb scissor jacks behind rear axle to take weight and bounce from suspension and tires. The jacks will level RV side to side over two inches without using blocks under tires.

These set up really works................no need for rotochucks, hitch-pin tripod, rear stabliizers or leveling blocks.....less weight to carry and less things to remove and store.

Forrest

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I also installed a set of "knock offs" that work real well. Their instructions sucked but luckily for me, I had a good friend of mine to help install them, so they're working well.

PM me for a brand name and a source for them.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hey guys, A couple of questions on these stabilizers. First of all, where do you guys typically install them? Is it at the landing gear or the rear stabilizer and how many do you install? Secondly, Campingworld has the BAL stabilizers for $60 right now. Anyone have any experience with them? And finally, where did you find the JT stabilizers mentioned above? Are they significantly different from the BAL? Thanks. Pete

We bought our stabilizers at Camping World and they look identical to the JT.