Satellite Dish Travel Kit

PacMan4x4

I have dish network at the house with two receivers and after doing some searching found this website with "Tailgate Kits". Are there any fellow Heartland owners using something like this and have had good luck with them. Eventually, I want to get satellite set up for the BH and have had good luck with dish network at home. Any input from the veterans of campin' would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Dishes/Tailgate-Satellite-Dish_kits.htm

jpmorgan37

PacMan;

Lots of us use tripods for our satellite TV service. Those are good kits from Sadoun, but you can probably do it for a lot less money than that. I would watch eBay to see what you can come up with. I bought a DirecTv dish for 99 cents a couple of years ago and, depending on which LNB you are using, you should be able to find one fairly reasonable. Put an add in the item wanted thread here on the Forum and see what you might get. Maybe somebody has what you are looking for.

cgunn

Tripods...Tripods...

Tripods...Tripods...
Say guys,I had my problems with tripods too.
Had one blow over and crash my dish.
You can see by the pictures what
Dish Network furnished me with....
(At no extra charge,by the way)
It WILL NOT BLOW OVER...
Even without the cement blocks.
It is sized so they lay right in.
Pretty cool I thought.
I still have my tripod as back up....

Attachments

• 2-2-09 004.JPG
    2-2-09 004.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2-2-09 005.JPG
    2-2-09 005.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 48

PacMan4x4

I was lookin' to make sure I had a dish compatible to my dish network receivers in the house so I could just grab it and throw in BH. I will search around and see what I can find and what LNB I need for extra dish.
CGUNN...any issues with dish network on the road?

cgunn

Issues On The Road

I have been able to set up and find my two satellites pretty easy,
most of the time. I bought a meter and I'm getting better at it.
I just call dish and they change my locals so I can get the proper
news and weather when I change locations.
I have only had them come out one time and
that was because the wind crashed my dish. They gave me the
ground set up and so far I really like it. As stated B4 I still have
my tripod just in case.
Good-Luck-To-Ya.......

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Easy Fix

For low level ground set up - Take a normal roof mounting pipe from your dish, drill out the four mounting holes to accommodate four (nail type) steel tent stakes. Stake the mount to the ground. Zip, Zip it is done with no mess! If you need the pipe it can be usually be found at a flea market.None

2010augusta

Call your provider and you might be surprised what they will give you for free:D. I just got a second dish, a tripod and around 200' of cable to run both LBN's to my UDC and run a second sat input from UDC to the entertainment center, all for free. Just told DirecTV that I had moved and they sent a guy out and set the system up for nothing.

PacMan4x4

I just checked as I got home from work and realize now that I don't have two receivers in the house, only one--it's a VIP622 and the satellite tellie to the back room is wireless. Will I be able to just grab my main receiver and take it to the BH or will I need to see about getting a second receiver for the BH and leaving primary one at home? Sorry about the multitude of questions....but I'm not very tech savvy and trying to learn how all this crap works. I will give Dish a call and see if there are any extra previously used satellites around that I can get my hands on.

Jimmyt5

Pac I think that you will find that the TV is not wireless it is getting a signal via coax from the 622. The 622 is a dual receiver I think on the rear you will find a splitter or built in that sends it to the other TV, and you set it up on channel 60 or 73. You have a UHF and Ir remote. UHF use where the receiver is not visible

PacMan4x4

JIMMY....

You are correct...I'm such a dummy. Yes, a splitter and cable to the back room. I checked my roof dish and it is a Dish 1000 with 3 LNB I believe (a double and a single). Will I be able to get a different dish....say a Dish 500 for 5er with 2 LNB and still run off this receiver that I have if I put it in the 5er also? I'm not so much worried about HD in the BH since I'll a part time camper for many years to come.

nemo45

I have the same dish network set up as you. When we started fulltiming in July I just took my dish off the house with me. I use a winegard adjustable tripod and you'll need a splitter as there are two leads coming out of the dish. After a little practice it doesn't take long to adjust the dish to receive a signal. Most important thing is to level tripod first.

Jimmyt5

With a dual receiver you only have to connect the back room to the cable that is hooked to the main receiver. You can run to the receiver with one coax,The LNB has built in switching between 119 and110. The coax that comes to the receiver I think will go into a splitter then two cables into the main receiver,then one out to bedroom.

The LNB has to have the DishPro logo and the dish must say 500 if you are only going to use two Sat's. 119 and 110

If you remove your 622 from a phone line they will charge you $5 a month.

PacMan4x4

Funny, you mentioned the $5 thing..my wife reminded me of that earlier. I won't mind paying $5 for the summer months if I can have satellite TV while camping. That's good to hear that I can use a 500 satellite....seems there are quite a few of those around and can get one at a reasonable cost. Thanks for the tip on the dish pro LOGO....I'll be sure to keep a look out for it. NEMO....When I decide to do this project, I'll give you a shout if I run into probs if you don't mind since you have the same set up. Thank ya'll for taking time to reply.

snuffy

I have Direct and this works great for me. Easy setup and folds to a small package. Used dish and about $5.00 worth of pvc.

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

2010augusta

Snuffy,

can you please explain the process of aim the "inverted" dish. I believe you have to do 90deg minus the standard elevation to calculate the correct elevation, but I am not sure.

Alan