Generator

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, my suggestion is don't. If you mount a portable genny inside, you run the risk of carbon monoxide entering your living area. You would need to route the exhaust out, via a new exhaust system. Honda most likely recommends not modifying that system. My suggestion would be to mount a rear carrier on your 3055RL and put it there. Just my thoughts. Let us know what you decide to do.
Peace
Dave

SmokeyBare

Should be well vented for both the air it would need to run as well as the exhaust fumes coming from the engine. It would need sealed inside a space that would prevent any fumes from entering the living quarters of the RV. The exhaust would need to be run out of the RV in such a way to prevent the heat from it doing damage or causing a fire.

Re-fueling would be a very challenging issue in my view. Spilling fuel inside the basement would be risky. Not having a clear view of the fuel tank... one could easily over fill the tank... or perhaps miss the tank opening when maneuvering a gas can to reach the generators fuel tank.

Have you considered placing the Generator in the bed of the truck, say at a rear corner so you could just run the power cord and plug in when you needed to power the RV? I've seen many do this very thing... some were bolted in the bed of the truck to give a more secure feeling that it would stay there. Many who do this have a protective cover for the generator... for sun and rain protection.

Good Luck with this project.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
If i were you i would do some digging on the internet about the project. I would caulk and seal the entire area you are putting the generator in, must keep the fumes out of the rv. Caulk & caulk again. You can go to an air conditions supply or similar place and buy a can of smoke, spray it in the generator area and have somebody in the rv to look for the smoke. I would then insulate the walls to help sound proof it. As far as the gasoline, i'm sure you can work that out. I would use a portable can so you could take it out to refill it. You can use a rubber hose from the gen. Tank, run it to the portable can, and it will siphon gas from the portable can to the gen. Tank. Use quick connect fuel line fittings from west marine or similar and they do a good job. Drill the top of the fuel cap to fit the fittings, more on that later if you need more info let me know. You will also have to vent the portable can so it can get air to siphon.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
No, not worth the effort and safety. Just put in the bed of the TV and plug your cord into it. Thats what we do. BTW, the genset runs quieter in the bed of the TV.

B. Lee

Firecapt422
I would leave the gen in the tow vehicle also. But Honda makes a gen set that can be installed in the compartment and runs on a varitety of fuels. I don't think I would make any alteations to allow for easier re-fueling. If anything was to happen and hopeful it would not it could come back to haunt you. People have lost homes and vehcles thrying to take short cuts and it is not worth the risk.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I had seen a other brand 5er welded under his rv with support to a platform off the back bumper for his Honda 3000.

jnbhobe

I have a rack 2ft X 5ft that slides into two recievers on the back. I carry blocking and a Honda 3000 back there.JON ;) ;) ;)

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I have my bighorn genprepped, and if u put the genny in the front compartment where it was designed to be, Heartland recommends an Onan Marquis Gold liquid propane 5500. Personally I am not ready for the boonies. I like the hookups much better.

MurrayN.

Is a 3000 watt big enough to run your a/c and the rest of your system? How many of you guys are running this size of gen? I tried once running my rv on an older Honda 3600 and the breaker would go on the gen after a few minutes once the a/c was on. Maybe it was just this particular gen set.