Range Grate mod.

2010augusta

I do a lot of cooking on the range, and have found that the grate would "collapse" if I had a two full pots cooking. The little rubber grommets would let the top "fall" through, and it would not be high enough or level anymore. I grabbed my tap and die set and ran the 1/4-20 die down all four legs and put stainless nuts and washers on each. This spreads the load out from my heavy dutch oven and other pots, and lets me fine tune the level of the range. In the near future I think I will try to find a thinner nut like a jam/lock nut to lower the top back down just a tad.

Attachments

• DSCN1945 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1945 (Small).JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCN1948 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1948 (Small).JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN1950 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1950 (Small).JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 338

2010augusta

The third pic is the grate back on the range with the nut, washer, and grommet all in place. I still use the grommets to stop rattles and vibrations.

HRAI

Fantastic

Alan,

Thanks for the info on the mod! I've been trying to figure something out for that problem for a while. These grommets they put on are not adequate and expensive for no reason. I'll be doing mine as soon as I get it back from the dealer.

Guy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Great idea Alan! I've used a few washers one one side to level the grates but never thought of threading the legs. Another thing to add to th list of "Honey Do's"