Tow Max Tires

Clint

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the "Tow Max" trailer tire from Les Schwab tires? In particular, the ST235/80R - 16 , Load rating "E". Any input, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

osims

bsims
I agree with Jim. For E rated tires I don't think you can get any better than Michelin XPS ribbed.
Bill

Bobby A

As I just wrote in another post that I was at the factory today and was very dissapointed to see the Toe Max tires on the Big Horn I wanna purchase. The rep said these are foreign tires (probably China) and I could upgrade to a Goodyear tire for $695.00 but he told me those tires are foreign made also. I'm very dissapointed with Heartland that they compromise safety and quality. I think most people would agree a good name brand american made tire is what we want. I have not heard a good thing about Foreign (China) tires. I think Heartland know this also but don't wanna spend a few more bucks on good tires.

crazybanshee

I had the same tow max tires on our trailer for six months. Nothing but problems. Went with a Big O LT rated tire and now I travel problem free.
Doug

Clint

Thanks for all of the input ..... decision made ... "Tow Max" are out and Michelin XPS are being installed in 2 weeks.

Clint

tcbrady

BobbyA,
We do not compromise safety here at Heartland. I'm not sure why you would make such a post. The tires we used are high quality and definitely do not compromise safety - that would be the last thing we would want to do here at Heartland. For those customers that do have a concern with Bighorn tires we offer Goodyear tires as an "unwritten option" since Goodyear tires come standard on Landmark and they are stocked in our factory. Please trust me when I say that Heartland has done significant research on our tires and the Tow Max tires pass all safety and quality standards. If these tires did not pass you would be definitely hearing about it on every RV forum out there. Feel free to call me anytime if you like to discuss if further detail.

Regards,

Bobby A

Coley,
I didn't mean to strike a nerve, but haven't you read these tire posts? I'm not the only one who has an issue with these foreign made tires. You can do all the research and testing you want but on this forum we have seasoned RV'ers that have logged thousands of miles on their rigs so it's quite obvious that these tires are not holding up in the field. I'm sure you would get many arguements that a blown tire going down the freeway at 60 miles an hour is definitely a safety issue. With todays economy and the RV industry struggling it only makes sense that Heartland would want to purchase good old american made tires to help support american jobs. That's good that you do offer a Goodyear tire as an unwritten option, however, when Tim Kaufman told me that these tires could also be foreign/China tires, that is what upset me. It is good to see that the higher ups at Heartland are monitoring these forums. The only way to overcome negative quality issues is to combat it with quality.
Bobby A

jnclevel

I had Mission tires on my 08 3100RL and lost 2 of them, one due to entire tread coming off and the second to tread disintegration. I switched to Towmax tires because they were on the newer BigHorns in 2010 and have logged over 2000 miles on them. I've had absolutely no problem. I just left the 2011 rally in Goshen and installed the TPS tire monitoring system there and found these tires run very cool.

MC9

I have about 12,000 on my Towmax 235-80-16. About 1500 miles ago I noticed a strange wear pattern on the right rear, had it changed. The spare doesn't seem to be acting the same. Might be belt problem or maybe rim. I will change to a LT soon.

ccupton

I have a 2011 305rw. The gvr is 14,000 max. I noticed on Tow max website that the tires on my rig are each rated for 3380 each which means that they are under rated for my 7,000 lb axles. Has anyone done something about this to fix the problem with heartland. Selling rigs with under rated tires.

Gaffer

Have you been on the scales? I wouldn't worry about the tire rating if your actual loaded weight is not over the tires rating. I would however not put too many miles on the Towmax tires if you are concerned about their failure history. Some have had good luch with them. I upgraded to Maxxis at about 6,000 miles. I gave up about 100 lbs per tire in load rating but I am only about 10,000 lbs on the rear axels so I have plenty of reserve.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have a 2011 305rw. The gvr is 14,000 max. I noticed on Tow max website that the tires on my rig are each rated for 3380 each which means that they are under rated for my 7,000 lb axles. Has anyone done something about this to fix the problem with heartland. Selling rigs with under rated tires.

You are not over the limit of your tires. A portion of that 14,000 lbs (maybe 2000 lbs or more) is pin weight.

GOTTOYS

My trailer has a 14,000# gvw. Its actual weight all loaded up was 11,600#. Of that 2,650# is weight that is on the hitch. This means that my axles are carrying 8,950# between the 2 of them or approximately 4,475# each. My LT tires are rated for 3,045# each. Weighing them individually the heaviest weight on one of them is 2.600#. If you average it out they are carrying 2,237# each which is way below what they are rated for. Your trailer is probably in the same area weight wise. I might suggest you have your truck and trailer weighed if get the opportunity, pretty interesting to see what the actual weights are.....Don

TireHobby

In the reference (2010) there is a pdf file you can click on to confirm the load capacities of your Towmax tires.

http://towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing.aspx?application=towmax-product-line

TireHobby

dougw

Be sure....go read the sidewalls of your tires. My guess, you'll be surprised. My 2cents worth, the 2 best things you can do for yourself, max air pressure and get them balanced.
dw

DW_Gray

If I heard them correctly, according to the presenters at the Goshen Rally from Tredit Tires, they claim Towmax tires test were great. Tredit tire send reps to China twice a year to evaluate the tire plants.

During my recent research on forums, I didn't find that many alarming comments on the Towmax as compared to others.

Another thing, it's not always a tire problem. The RV could be overloaded and or the tire pressure under-inflated. There could be an axle and or spring issue causing premature tire wear or uneven wear.

I've become proactive and purchased a tire thread gauge and keep a record of thread depth on each tire. I measure the inside, middle and outside each tire. I already confirmed that I was running too much pressure in my new Michelin truck tires. According to the recent weigh-in at the rally, my rear dully tires on the truck should only have 45 psi. I dropped the pressure from 75 to 55 for now.

pegmikef

DW_Gray

Very useful. Thanks. What does single max and dual max mean? I weigh 8600 pounds max so am I good to go? It looks like I should be, but the dual max is pretty close if it means a double axles.

Single max 2540 @ 65 psi Dual max 2200 @ 65 psi

Single means when only one tire is at the end of an axle. Dual means when there are two tires located at the end of an axle. To select the tire pressure for dual, take the dual side that weighs the most and divide by 2. Example: The heaviest dual side is 3,000 pounds. 3000 divided by 2 is 1500 pounds. (1500 pounds is shared by each tire.) Look on the dual section of the chart for your tire and select the PSI near that weight but do not go to the lower side of what is shown.

Note: Not all tire charts are alike considering the dual weights and calculation.

jgdds

For those of you who have triple axles and have replaced your tires, what size did you go with? I am concerned about a)going with a slightly smaller tire with less max load capacity, or b) going slightly larger and having clearance issues. The 235/80-16's that came on it rub the skirt supports when turning or backing, but I would like the peace of mind of having a higher carrying capacity tire. Thanks for the info!

Last edited: