Porcelain Toilet not holding water

John T Bettencourt

Hello, I have a 2009 Landmark Augusta and the porcelain toilet will not hold water for more than a few min. I cleaned the seal with the little brush that came with it to know avail. I also loosened the clamp and tried changing position of the porcelain, still did not help. If anyone could help me I would :mad:

Shadowchek

I am having the same problem with mine. The problem with mine is that it isn't closing all of the way. I was going to look into it and see if there was a spring tension adjustment or something but it is going in for some minor warranty issues anyways so I will let them worry about it. With mine if you let your foot slip off of of the lever before it reaches the top it closes all the way and doesn't leak. If you try that and it stops you know it needs more tension to close better.

Greg

SmokeyBare

Try lifting the foot valve with your toe... after each flush... see if that does the trick. Could be as Greg said... not seating completely... could be the seal for the toilet ball needs replaced or is misaligned.

Yep, it's started happening to ours as well. I keep a brush handy and will scrub the inside with the foot valve open... attempting to keep clear the seal area.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I had this very same problem on our 2009 Augusta and had to relpace the spring cartridge. It was failing to return the ball valve closed and therefore letting the water drain. It was under warranty and I did the replacement myself. I contacted Dometic direct and they told me who to contact.

check this out

Mark

Last edited:
Turn off the pump or water source and empty any water from the bowl then spray the ball area with silicone spray. This will help for several weeks, repeat as needed.

rustyone

I had the same problem in our Sealand toilet. Contacted the manufacturer and they mailed out a new spring cartridge and seal. Seems they changed seals but have had a problem with them. You can also try moving the seal around 1/4 turn, I did this and it has held the water for several weeks. I will wait until it leaks down again before putting in the new parts.

Rusty

ByPass

I had the same problem with my SeaLand toilet. Read the SeaLand owner's manual on how to use. The owner's manual says to release flush lever by allowing it to( snap back, )which permits positive sealing around the flush ball. A little clear shoe polish for lub on the seal and letting it snap back solved my problem. Holds water great.

Last edited:

Rickhansen

We too have had this problem twice in a year. Sealand sent us an updated seal and spring cartridge at no charge, the first time at 6 months . I've replaced the seal again since then at about 11 months. I'm not sure you can rotate the seal as someone suggested, as there is an index tab in the plastic base and a notch that the seal fits into. Someone else recommended a silicone lubricant. This is against manufacturers recommendation and the petroleum content will likely further damage the seal. I've read where someone used non-stick cooking spray, but I've seen little help from this.

Everything so far has been what I consider a temporary fix. I suspect this will be a persistent maintenance problem.

Forrest Fetherolf

I previously commented on the Sealand toilet ball valve seal. When mine wouldn't hold water and/or close completely over 2 years ago, I rotated the inter seal 90 deg within to outer seal and when stored I would spray silicone or pledge into the bowl even if some water was present. So far the original ball valve seal is working as if new, the 5er was built 8/11/05. The replacement seal kit from Sealand is still in the box just in case.

I would not recommend the "snap back method," that is a good way to break the working parts or damage the ball valve seal.

Forrest

John T Bettencourt

I called Sealand today and they told me they realize there is a problem with the porcelain toilet holding water. They are shipping me the seal replacement kit and the spring cartridge kit to fix it at no charge. The number is 800-321-9886. Thanks for everyones help on this problem. John Bettencourt