north trail 21fbs vs. edge m21

marsha

I've been asking about the edge m21, but in my research, i'm liking the heartland north trail 21fbs...i really like the stand up shower in the bathroom and it also has a half time oven, where as the edge has no oven and tub/shower in the bathroom. It seems that i may get more for the money in the north trail..they are both very similar. Do you have an opinion on the quality of the north trail. I really appreciate your help. thanks!

I'm sure there will be someone more qualified than me who will answer your question.. but we are also researching both of these trailers. We haven't seen either yet in person (though we have been through the Edge M18 and have seen pictures of the inside of the M21).

Looking at the Heartland website, the big differences are the weight and lengths of the 2 trailers. The Edge M21 is 3189lbs dry and 21'9" long and the NT 21FBS is 4361 dry and 26'4" long. Also, I believe the NT 21FBS has an enclosed underbelly, the Edge does not. The Edge has a couch with a table in front of it (removable table, I think?) instead of a regular dinette table and has a small bathtub/shower set up. It looks like the 21FBS has a U-shaped dinette and a stand up shower.

camperjohn08

Nancy & I own the 21fbs... we got it last August, and have taken it out camping twice. Plenty of room for two people, and the storage is great. We kinda wished we got the 26 foot version, due to the extra seating..
The shower is great and there is plenty of room in the bathroom area. We have a 2004 extended cab, with a 8 foot bed Chevy Silverado Z71 4 wheel drive, and it tows great... Would recommmend this Travel Trailer over others of it's size.We got more bang for the Buck with this unit.

marsha

thank all of you...i'm on my way to look at the north trail 21fbs..i will let you know how it turns out..

Camperjohn08 - does the dinette table lower so it can be used as a sleeping area?

Marsha - please let us know what you think of the north trail. I've been searching around and it looks like the closest dealer with one on hand is 2.5 hours away, so may be a few weeks before we can get there to see one. A dealer closer to our house is hoping to have the Edge M21 in a few weeks.

I'm thinking the North Trail may just be too heavy for us, we tow with a 2007 Ford Explorer with tow package.. currently towing a fleetwood niagara that is somewhere around 3100 dry. We're definitely more comfortable with the weight of the Edge, I just wonder how it will hold up over the years..

JChatt

The dinette does become a bed, however; it does not use the table top. In the under bed storage area, there is a piece of wood that is used to form the bed.

acsimon

Also looking at the 21FBS from North Trail. I have been in one, and they are very roomy, and love the angled sink. Question for any current owner's of the 21FBS. Would you forsee any problems towing with a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited (Hemi)? Jeep listed towing capacity at 7,500 lbs. The Heartland site also indicates my car as an acceptable TV. Note: Latest addition of Trailer Life (I think that was the magazine) had a cover story of the North Country 26BH (listed heavier than the 21FBS) being mated to a Toyota 4Runner. They reported after the addition of an anti-sway device (due to low hitch weight) the combination towed great. Appreciate any comments.

RVCamper

ACSimon: The North Country is a traditional stick built trailer, the North Trials & the Edge are all (mostly) alum construction and considered a light weight constructed trailer, while the North Country's are not.

As far as your tow question .. you probably want to start a new discussion, as it is not directly related to the originally poster's question. :)

Personally I think the Edge's look really nice on the outside very "cool". The lightened webbing on the I beams has been standard practice on large flat bed trailers since Transcraft Launched the combo flat many years ago. IT is a proven way to reduce weight and while not effecting capacity.

Eagle.jpg

bigpaw

M21 looks great!

I saw a new M21 yesterday at the RV show in Denver. The quality looked very good to me! I didn't climb under it or anything, but the workmanship and finishes seemed high quality, especially for the price. We really liked the floor plan- great big bathroom. Lots of storage inside and under, although not quite as much storage under as the M18. Lots of people looking at it at the show. :) I think it's going to be a very popular model.