SOLD - Dometic Duo-Therm Air conditioning unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Sale: Dometic Duo-Therm Air conditioning unit

15K (ducted) Dometic Duo-Therm Air conditioning unit. This unit was taken off of our 2009 Bighorn 3400RL and replaced with a Carrier Heat pump. We have taken the Bighorn out 3 times since we purchased it and one afternoon I used the AC for about 2 hours.

I still have the warranty registration card so you can register it in your name.

The unit comes complete with the interior ceiling assembly and all of the mounting hardware.

If you have a need or know of anyone who needs a replacement AC unit I will have this available at the Branson Rally. The price is $450.00 or best offer.

Thanks, Jeff Crowl
870-715-8385

Last edited by a moderator:

Tankie

Jeff,
who put your carrier heat up on and if you don't mind how much did it cost? We have ordered a 3670RL are fulltiming and not real crazy about the furnace.

Thanks Lonnie

fivernine

Jeff, if this is the low-profile unit and will drop on the front of my Landmark Cape Cod without rewiring controls and such, I'd be interested. From what I understand, the wiring is already in place over the bedroom vent. I know the circuit breaker is ready to go and my a/c controller has zone 1 flashing so perhaps it is ready to accept another zone. I guess the factory folks could advise. We can kick it around when we get there.
See you there,
--Rick

jbeletti

Rick,

The 15k unit is not the low-pro model. It should still work in the bedroom but you will need to port the air straight down on the bed with the chill-grate unless you order a different kit.

This unit is ideal as a replacement for the main AC unit in Heartland coaches and "can" be used as a bedroom as a down-draft unit.

Jim

Rick, Jim is right, you wouldn't want the 15k unit in the bedroom. The unit is much taller than the low profile model and it is a ducted unit meaning it was designed to be used with ducted outlets. Would probably be to much airflow in the bedroom and noisy.

Tankie, Here is the link where I purchased the Carrier Heat Pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARRIER-15k-BTU...hZ004QQcategoryZ50073QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I installed the unit myself. It is a fairly easy install if you are the mechanically minded type. We used a fork lift to raise and lower the
unit from the roof. All of the wiring needed is present from the OEM installation. This is a very high quality unit that comes with a wireless digital remote and is very quiet.

I also did the TIMK (tent-in the-vent) mod during the installation. The 5er now has excellent airflow and I am pretty sure the 15k unit will cool the entire unit in most of the climates we will be in. The increased airflow blew an incredible amount of saw dust and other materials out of the ducts. I had to vaccuum the whole inside of the camper.

Jeff

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
This is a very high quality unit that comes with a wireless digital remote and is very quiet.

I agree with Lickitysplit, the Carrier Heat Pump is an excellent unit. I just added the 15K Non-Ducted unit over the bedroom. Living in the south I decided to add the additional unit. We are currently in a campground by a lake with temps in the mid 90's with very high humidity. The Carrier High Capacity Heat Pump is much more efficient that the Duo-Therm. The Duo-Therm is fine for keeping the coach comfortable at night but does not compare to thE÷¹B@~¬8f€8ÏDÆzPf©†ãë `–Pü,oGET /secars/secars.dll?hg title="Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)" alt="" src="//heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif" border=0 smilieid="7">

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
At one time, I thought about adding a second A/C unit and would have ordered one if I'd not bought a unit off the dealer's lot. This weekend, I was camping in Houston and the A/C actually cycled off during the heat of the day! This was a first for me to see a unit that cooled the trailer down enough to cycle during the daylight hours. I know the second unit is insurance against one of them going out during the summer-which lasts about ten months in Texas, but I will be chasing cool weather soon (retired).

fivernine

Well, I am now thoroughly confused on this.

Jayc, we have had 92 degree weather here is Cookeville, TN, the past few days and I have kept the A/C running to see what it can do. With double-pane windows and all the good insulation of the Landmark, the Duo-Therm 15,000 will only hold a 12 degree differential. And that is with the awning out and sitting in good shade most of the day. At noon, the sun was hitting the front cap, not the walls. I expected at least a 15-16 degree delta given the conditions.

Jim, Jeff, what A/C is used in the bedroom when it comes stock? Is it a lower rating? Is there a lower profile than my existing main unit? Does it hook into the ductwork, or does it blow straight into the room? What is done with the existing vents off the main unit if I add the bedroom unit? And what is used to control temperature? I have a feeling I am going to want the additional A/C, but don't know where to go from here.

Jeff, what is the tent-in-the-vent mod? Sounds like one heck of an improvement in airflow.

Thanks guys,
Rick

osims

bsims
fivernine
Our landmark came from factory with a lo profile 13500 in the bedroom and controls off a thermostat mounted on the wall. Our bighorn had same unit in bedroom, but controls were on the unit. We were in Austin two weeks ago and the temps were between 96 and 100 with no shade and the two units kept the trailer @ 72.

fivernine

Thanks Bill. At 95 degrees, I wouldn't get below 83 in my present condition, and probably not that good without shade. I'm a bit puzzled why I can't, given the reflective, double-pane windows and high R-value surfaces. My previous SOB rig, two feet shorter, would hold 12 degrees delta with only a 13.5K unit and it had about the same amount of glass in single pane. But that's no matter now.

Jim B., I know you are swamped right now. I will get up with you in Branson and find out what A/C the factory specifies for my rig. I would prefer a 13.5K over another 15K to keep current drain low if I have to run on the generator at night. I am open to any and all suggestions everyone.

Thanks again,
Rick

mountainlovers76

I would prefer a 13.5K over another 15K to keep current drain low if I have to run on the generator at night. I am open to any and all suggestions everyone.

Thanks again,
Rick

Hey fivernine, not sure about other brands but if you look at the Carrier website www.airv.carrier.com you will see that between the 13.5K and the 15K units, both standard and low profile, there is a difference in amps and wattage used. But between the 13.5K and the 15K High Capacity Heat pump there is almost no difference at all. For a few dollars more you can have extra cooling and heating of the 15K Heat pump at the same electrical specs as the 13.5K. That is one reason I went with the Heat Pump. Just my preference.

Denis

Question

Hello All!
We just purchased a new Sundance XLT 287RL with a 15K AC. As we are in the deep South, I was wondering if just one AC would keep us cool. After reading these post today, I'm worried. I had hoped that the XLT, with the new sandwich styrofoam construction would be cool enough.

Also, I purchased 2 Honda 2000i gensets thinking they should be enough to run the 15K BTU AC, but I doubt they would run 2-AC's, if I have to add another. We dry camp much of the time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and we look forward to our new Sundance arriving in a week.

Denis

fivernine

You are right Ricky. Only 3% more current draw for 11% more a/c cooling. Darn good swap out. I see why you bought the larger unit. Does it direct the air across to the walls of the bedroom instead of straight onto the bed? I can't figure out what I'm looking at in the literature. I will have to get some prices on this. It looks like the ticket. Thanks for your suggestion.
--Rick

Rick, Here is a link to the TIMK (tent in the vent mod). I will be in Branson if you have any questions.
Jeff

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1069

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Go to ebay and check out the AC units. I bought a 15k A/C with heat pump off of ebay, for my previous fifth wheel. It was brand new, for $100 less and it included the inside grid and controls. The controls can run up to $150 more, on some sites. It is a buy it now out of an RV place in Florida. They shipped it right out and got it in less than a week. These are brand new with a full warranty and upwards of $250.00 cheaper than I could find on any on-line retail site. It was a Carrier and the total price with shipping ran me $699.00.
Fred

mountainlovers76

Does it direct the air across to the walls of the bedroom instead of straight onto the bed? I can't figure out what I'm looking at in the literature.
--Rick

Rick,

The inside non-ducted unit has vents on each end that direct the air toward the front and the rear of the coach. It also has what they call an air shower that you can open and close. It blows the air straight down for a quick cool off if you come in from the outside after getting hot. Nice feature that I have used a few times already. For normal operation I keep it closed and let it blow through the front and rear vents. What looks like vents on the bottom on each side in the pictures are actually the intakes with filters. Since my doorway to the bedroom from the kitchen and living area is in direct line with the rear vents of the unit, it blows air down into the living area also. So for me the Carrier Heat pump has been a great buy both for the electrical aspect and the actual operation. Cools great. Will see how it heats this winter. Comes with the aux heater unit as well. Hope this helps in your decision.

Ricky

fivernine

Thanks Ricky. I just got a hard shock today--first day at the Branson rally and my first hot day of camping in direct sunlight since I bought the camper. With outside air temperature at 88 degrees and sunlight from the back end of the camper, I could not get more than a four degree difference between outside and inside with the 15K Duo-Therm pumping full blast. I have the dual-pane windows with gold coating. They seemed terribly hot and the living room was stifling so I aimed an infrared thermometer at the inner surface of the windows. The large rear window read 104 degrees on the inside face and the smaller one on the end of the large slideout registered 114 degrees! They act more like solar collectors than reflectors. The inlet and outlet temperatures of the A/C gave a differential of 26 degrees. I think that is fairly normal. Don't know where to go from here. If 88 degrees gives me 84 inside, imagine camping at 95 degrees. My kids and grandkids all live in Florida.

Shadowchek

Once your 5ver gets hot it is really hard to cool. everything in it is radiating heat so it takes a long time to cool down. The only thing you can do is turn it on early keep it at one set temperature and close blinds as much as possible. 26 degrees would be a fairly normal split. I imagine you are already doing these things. If it is 90 degrees inside you are cooling your 5ver with 64 degree air. If it is 80 degrees inside you are cooling with 54 degree air exetera. It takes a lot less 54 degree air to keep things cool rather than trying to cool things off with 64 degree air. I would have expected more from your dual pain windows though. I did an experiment with my 3400rl. I set the thermostat at 78 degrees with the BH sitting in my driveway with no shade day shades down no one in it or going in and out. I checked it at the hottest part of the day it was slightly over 100 degrees outside and it was holding at 78 degrees. Very low humidity and no dual pain windows. The previous day I turned it on in the afternoon and the temperature barley dropped at all for hours. Just in case you hadn't thought of these things.
Greg

Last edited:

fivernine

Thanks Greg. You are right about starting the day cool; it does help. Today's weather was identical with yesterday. We started with a cool rig from the night before and the temperature climbed to 81 degrees instead of 84 as it did yesterday. Still too hot for my comfort, but okay for some. Out of curiosity, I did an informal IR thermal profile of the windows of two Landmarks and and two Bighorns at the Rally. I will summarize them on another post. The results were rather striking.

After all, I will have to install a second a/c unit in the bedroom. I will put in a low-profile 13.5K unit.

I personally advise against buying a bigger Heartland rig (36 ft or more) with a single a/c. In North America, it gets too hot in most places during summer days for a single 15K a/c unit to perform adequately.

snuffy

My first preference for camping or even at the mall is a shady spot. I'll walk an extra hundred yards for a shady spot when shopping and when camping it is even more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.