dual pane windows

As soon as we sell our house, we will be buying a landmark for full time. Are there any full timers who would not recommend dual-pane and if so why? Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We're full time and we have the dual pane windows. Why would anyone not want them? They improve noise level, insulation value for both hot and cold and condensations is greatly reduced unless it's exceptionally cold out. The frames still condensate but not as bad. Oh by the way, Welcome to the Heartland Forum.

grizzlygiant

The only downside (beside initial cost) is the extra weight and the possible/usual leakage of the seal between the panes necessitating total replacement.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It is my understanding that dual pane windows are not the same as thermopane windows, in that there is no vacuum seal to break. It is simply two panes of glass with air gap between...adding to the insulation, and noise reduction factors.

creeper

They are dual pane, not thermopane. No leakage involved. We have had both, GET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

What a difference... No more dripping windows, no more hearing the squirrels run by outside. We love them.

jtcfishing

Dear redgolf we ordered ours with them and glad we did! Have be in ours all winter and they are worth every penny. The winters here in Kansas City are cold down -0 alot of nights with 30 mph winds,and we have be just toasty! They are also a lot quiter than single pane,Don't let a salesman talk you out of them just because he has to order you camper to get what you want!! P.S. Welcome

Delaine and Lindy

Dual pane windows are a must, unless you want to hear a lot of exterior noise. As for the R-factor don't know if it makes a lot of difference but the dark tint will make a difference. Our Landmark (Augusta) didn't have dual pane windows, it had the reflective single pane window. It was the first 5th wheel we owned that didn't have dual pane windows. And we now know that was a mistake. As stated above the dual pane windows used in 5th wheels are only dual pane glass and will not leak. As for the weight issue that is not a factor for us. The extra cost also wasn't a issue for us. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....

cjbearden

Visitor
We had single panes in our old BH - noisy, sweating, wind whistling, etc. Got dual panes in the new Augusta - OMG, what a wonderful change. Terrific noise insulation, minimal sweating (depends on wind direction and temperatures) and no wind whistling around the edges. Well worth the cost and weight. Stayed in coastal bend of TX during late summer 2008 and through part of the winter - worked excellent.

Drew

We just moved into our BH with dual panes and what a difference. I get in bed at night and it's quiet. Oh, and no more drippy windows.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Why would anyone not want them?

When you don't want to spend the extra money, the windows are not available or you don't want to wait 6 month for a factory delivery?

Gimme Lowes and $9...and I'll give you a very reasonable replacement..

When I make my trip to Ol' Mexico for my teeth and total repaint job on the old 3055RL...

I'll send you the jpg of what I'm having put on the front of the trailer...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When you don't want to spend the extra money, the windows are not available or you don't want to wait 6 month for a factory delivery?

Gimme Lowes and $9...and I'll give you a very reasonable replacement..

When I make my trip to Ol' Mexico for my teeth and total repaint job on the old 3055RL...

I'll send you the jpg of what I'm having put on the front of the trailer...
I look at it as a few extra bucks when compared what we spent on our rig. Being full time it's what I choose to call a necessary convenience. I could have spent $9 bucks at Lowes but then every time I open a window I gotta re-do it. :D

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I look at it as a few extra bucks when compared what we spent on our rig. Being full time it's what I choose to call a necessary convenience. I could have spent $9 bucks at Lowes but then every time I open a window I gotta re-do it. :D

I can't argue about that reasoning. If they had been available, I'd have had them too.

Personally, I don't plan on going anywhere where the temps ever get low enough for me to turn off the AC!:p

Tom of Ypsi

B. Lee,

The windows can be put in after but at a much higher cost (12 for us) and the waiting time for us was over a month. For the few extra bucks on the payments get the windows now and save your money.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
B. Lee,

The windows can be put in after but at a much higher cost (12 for us) and the waiting time for us was over a month. For the few extra bucks on the payments get the windows now and save your money.

How much Tom? I've been quoted $350-$660 per window installed.