Axles for 2006 Bighorn 3400RL

Dusty

I would like to know what axles were originally used in this rig and can they be changed to a heavier rated axle? I have one that seems to have absolutely no arc in it and I have broken a spring, shackle hanger and shock on that axle.

jimtoo

Hi Dusty

I would suggest you call customer service on Monday. Have your VIN number ready also. Customer Service, 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do not get the axles and the springs mixed up when talking weight ratings. I have had my springs replaced due to fatigue. They were replaced with the five leaf #7,000 springs. However, in my conversation with Lippert I was told that the axle tube for the #6,000 axles are a different wall thickness than the #7,000ers. So even though my springs are now "heavy duty", my axles are still rated at #6,000 each. Springs are cheap. The whole axle assembly is not.
Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Dusty..
I had a similar problem with my 2008 3400RE. This thread might be helpful to you..
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=7353

I had the right rear spring break last year. My 3400 was under warranty and I had the 6k axles replaced with 7k axles. This raised my trailer up and put more weight on my truck so I had to make some adjustments to the hitch and pin box to help level out the trailer.

PM me if you want more information..
There is another person that had this problem. He posted in the tread shown above.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I would like to know what axles were originally used in this rig and can they be changed to a heavier rated axle? I have one that seems to have absolutely no arc in it and I have broken a spring, shackle hanger and shock on that axle.

It ain't the axle...what do you weigh?

SmokeyBare

Dusty,

If your axle is damaged it will not be aligned.. you'll soon know it by tire wear.. real bad tire wear. As Lefty suggested... get the RV Weighed.... do it right by having each wheel weighed... as well as each wheel of the Truck... the truck gets it done twice... one WITH and one WITHOUT the Rv hitched. This will give you a clear picture of how heavy you are.... and which wheel needs to get weight removed... such as relocating when possible things in the RV.

Marv

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Dusty, your springs and axles might be covered under Lipperts 5 year warrenty.:D Bob

This may not be true as the axles on my old 2006 Bighorn were made by ALKO. I believe Heartland switched over to Lippert for their '07 models

Mark

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Dusty our 2007 Landmark had Alko axles. There is a plate on the axle with the model number of the axle and the manufacturers name if it is an Alko. Customer Service can tell you if you don't want to climb under it. We have changed out our axles to the Mor-ryde IS system.:)

Dusty

Thanks for the many replies, I looked and yes, I have Alko axles, I will talk to Heartland but figure the axles are probably not under warranty now.

A note about how cheap springs are; in Texas, the spring would have cost me about $50.00, in Kingston N. Y. it cost me $125.00, I also got charged $200.00 to be towed less than 2 miles. Of course AAA and other services were not allowed to tow me because I was on the New York thru way and they have contracts with local tow companies for that service.

Moral of the story, that is the last dollar NY State will ever get from me.

D and J

Hi Jim
We have a 2008 3055 and would like to change the axels. Can you tell me wher you had your work done?
Thanks D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Lippert replaced mine in Longview TX. That is not their normal place to do the work. My springs broke and that was the nearest place they had facilities to do the work.

Lippert is in Elkhart IN area...

Where are you? There should be someone near by that can do the job.. This is most likely not warranty so you can find anyone in your area.. If you can afford it you might think about Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension and disk brakes. They are in Elkhart IN area also..

BC

fhollan

Wow!

TXBobcat: Those pictures you posted reference your breakdown looked nasty. That's scary! Based on all that, coupld of days ago I crawled underneath mine and looked at the springs. Looks like all four have the right curve. (See Pictures). I've been underneath mine numerous times. More so when I had the China bombs. Glad this forum exists.

So did you ever find out where those spings were made at?

Attachments

• DCP01498.JPG
    DCP01498.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DCP01499.JPG
    DCP01499.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DCP01500.JPG
    DCP01500.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DCP01501.JPG
    DCP01501.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 45

geeksrus

When I had my springs replaced by 7ks, the service manager told me that there was no reason to change the axles as there is no difference in the thickness between 6ks & 7ks. I was prepared to have them replace the axles but with this info, I decided to pass. During the spring upgrade they inspected the axles & all was okay.

This was from a ISO 9000 axle & spring company in Calgary, Standen's Ltd. This company is highly reliable for the quality of their products & service.

Eh!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Fholland
I don't know if the springs that Lippert used to replace the one that broke were from China or not, but when they put the 7k axle and springs on it road good and higher. I liked the higher clearance.

I now have Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension and Disk Brakes so I am not worring about springs or axles... Sorry I could not be of more help..

BC

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Wow TXBob,
It seems I had the exact same problem as you in Tillamook, OR this summer when the left rear axle springs broke and ruined the new G 614 tire. Lippert replaced all the springs and both shocks on that side at Les Schwab's in Tillamook. I am now very concerned that Lippert should probably exchange my 6,000 lb axles with 7,000 lbs axles and the associated springs that go with that setup on my 2009 3400RE. If the springs had broke 5 miles earlier in the mountains coming into Tilamook, I probably would not be writing this post now. I plan to speak to Pamela at Lippert as soon as they receive the broken springs I sent them last week. I waited to send them the broken parts because I couldn't lift anything as I am recovering from back surgery. Your pics Bob, looked very much like my rig. We shall see. I am curious if anyone thinks I should insist on the 7K axles? Comments appreciated.

geeksrus

Wow TXBob,
It seems I had the exact same problem as you in Tillamook, OR this summer when the left rear axle springs broke and ruined the new G 614 tire. Lippert replaced all the springs and both shocks on that side at Les Schwab's in Tillamook. I am now very concerned that Lippert should probably exchange my 6,000 lb axles with 7,000 lbs axles and the associated springs that go with that setup on my 2009 3400RE. If the springs had broke 5 miles earlier in the mountains coming into Tilamook, I probably would not be writing this post now. I plan to speak to Pamela at Lippert as soon as they receive the broken springs I sent them last week. I waited to send them the broken parts because I couldn't lift anything as I am recovering from back surgery. Your pics Bob, looked very much like my rig. We shall see. I am curious if anyone thinks I should insist on the 7K axles? Comments appreciated.

With my recent spring situation, Lippert sent 6k replacements that had made in China printed on them.

Eh!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When my spring broke I had Lippert install 7k axles and springs. I had to pay for 1 set and Lippert paid for the one that broke. This was done at the time of the repair not later. I paid for the overnight shipment of the axles and springs because I had to be on the road to a wedding about a week later. Lippert would have replaced one axle and all springs with the same 6k and paid for the shipment if I wanted to wait and I chose not to wait. Dave at Lippert was very helpful in getting this done.

I suggest to anyone that is having a problem with their springs and axles to at least change the springs from 4 leaf to 5 leaf. The axles will probably work. If you want to be sure about the suspension, change it out to Mor/Ryde IS and add Disc Brakes.

Hope this helps.
BC