roof sealers

We just bought a 2006 Big Horn 3055RL, it is being detailed this weekend. Amongst the other detailing procedures, we are having the rubber roof sealed. My question is, how often do you need to have the roof sealed. We had a Winnebago Motor Home before, with a fiberglass roof, so this is our first rubber roof. We are full timers and reside in Las Vegas, we know how the sun affects everything, that is why I am asking the question....

lrmike

Why are you sealing a new roof? Is this recommended in your climate area? From everything I've read they just need cleaned a few times a year and avoid any petroleum based products. Does the sealer help prevent streaking on the sides of the trailer?

jbeletti

Richard's roof is 4 years old.

Not sure if his roof is Alpha, Dicor or some other brand. But here's some info from Alpha's website:

Royal Roof<sup>[SIZE=-1]TM[/SIZE]</sup> Solves the Problems of Metal Roofing
Alpha Systems introduced ethylene propylene dien monomer (EPDM) roofing to the RV industry in 1987. It soon became the first choice by manufacturers as an attractive, lightweight, rust-free, leak-eliminating alternative to traditional metal roofing. Today, Royal Roof from Alpha Systems is the only brand you need to know - it's the undisputed leader in dependable roof systems.
Royal Roof EPDM rubber sheet gives you:

• Excellent UV protection
  • Pliable, long-lasting performance
  • Easy cleaning with ordinary household products
  • Easy maintenance and repair, if ever necessary
Alpha Systems also manufactures the roofing adhesives and sealants to fit your specific production and manufacturing requirements.
Cleaning and Maintenance of Alpha Systems Royal Roof EPDM Rubber Sheet
Proper care and maintenance of the recreational vehicle, including the Royal Roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.
Periodic cleaning three or four times a year is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems suggests using a household cleaner such as Top Job®, Spic-N-Span®, or Ajax® Cleanser. Granulated cleaning products perform better for cleaning EPDM. Since the surface is not smooth like fiberglass, a medium bristle scrub brush should be used instead of a sponge. The rubber membrane requires scrubbing much like a white-wall tire does. For tougher stains, like those from oak leaves or pine sap, use kitchen cleanser with bleach. ** Extra precautions need to be taken to control runoff onto sidewalls when using products containing bleach.
After cleaning, rinse the roof and sidewalls of the RV completely to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking.
Quarterly inspection of the roof is highly recommended. Check the membrane for possible damage and check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas and around all accessories and fasteners.
Alpha Systems Royal Roof EPDM is quite inert and will dependably resist weathering. It can, however, be cut or punctured by sharp objects. If damage does occur, the Royal Roof membrane can be easily patched. Use caution when placing any articles on the roof and exercise extreme care and caution when working on top of your vehicle. The Royal Roof may become slippery when wet, so remember to exercise extreme caution when cleaning the rubber membrane.
EPDM rubber does not require periodic application of any product to protect it from UV light or ozone. Such products can often damage the EPDM membrane. Protect-All® Roof Treatment for EPDM rubber roofs, 303® Protectant for EPDM rubber roofs, or other products compatible with EPDM rubber roofing may be safely used. If you have any questions about these products, please call Alpha Systems Customer Service at (phone number) for assistance.
! DO NOT USE ACETONE OR ANY PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES ON THE ROYAL ROOF !

And here's some info from Dicor's website:

BRITE-PLY & BRITE-TEK
ROOF CARE AND MAINTENANCE
52878 Airport Parkway – P.O. Box 1806 – Elkhart, IN 46515 – Ph: (574) 264-2699 – Fax: (574) 293-2017
Proper care and maintenance of your recreational vehicle, including your Brite-Ply or Brite-TEK roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy, and requires no special material.
1. Keep your roof clean. Clean your roof at least four (4) times annually. For normal cleaning:
- Use Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner RP-RC160C concentrate to clean complete roof or RP-RC320S ready to use cleaner in a spray bottle for smaller areas. (See CAUTION below.)
- Rinse complete roof with clean water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Using a medium bristle brush, along with the cleaner mixed with 2 or 3 gallons of water, scrub the entire roof. Rinse thoroughly with clean water to avoid residue build-up on the roof or sidewalls of the vehicle.
- For more difficult stains, you may use RP-RC160C in its original concentrated form. For stubborn stains, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. DO NOT use mineral spirits in a large area or allow it to soak into the membrane.
CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty.
Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery.
2. Beware of areas where fruit, tree sap, or harsh environmental fall-out may stay on the roof for an extended period of time. These conditions may result in irremovable stains. If you are in these conditions, you may have to increase the frequency of your cleaning.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION:
- Carlisle Brite-Ply EPDM and Brite-TEK roofing membrane is specially formulated for exposure to the sun and natural elements. However, it can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Use caution when placing any articles or walking on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can be easily repaired using Dicor’s #401-PR or #402-PR roof repair kits. Contact your local dealer or Dicor Corporation.
- Cleaning lap sealant used around roof mounted accessories and railings: If soap and water do not clean the seal to your satisfaction, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to wipe away dirt build-up on the seal.
- Repairing lap sealant or adding sealant: If, after a period or time, the lap sealant needs touched-up or additional seal is needed, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to eliminate all foreign materials from the surface of the seal, let set for at least 15 minutes and apply Dicor lap sealant (#501LS, #502LS, #551LS) directly over the existing seal – allowing the new sealant to touch the EPDM and/or accessory surface.
- If additional UV protection is desired, apply Dicor’s RP-RG320S Rubber Roof Guard Protectant immediately after cleaning.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JB, now you have done did it. Just so I know, could HL tell me want roof is on our coach??? Bob:confused:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just put a product on the seams of our roof. You know where the front and rear caps join to the roof. There is a seam that seems to constantly need caulking. So I covered that seam with Eternabond. Guess what? It is now sealed and will never need to be caulked and it won't leak. I am all for lower maintainance.

jbeletti

JB, now you have done did it. Just so I know, could HL tell me want roof is on our coach??? Bob:confused:

Bob - yes. With your VIN, call customer service tomorrow and ask them to look it up. It is for sure, EPDM. So you are asking for the brand. Either way, I believe the care is the same. But if your inquiring mind must know, please "make the call" and do circle back here and let us know.

Thanks Bob

Jim

lrmike

Great, Jim! That is a wealth of information. I know the seams need resealing, they have on every roof I've had, but was not sure about the sealing. It sounds like most of us just keep it clean and watch the joints.

The reason I asked the question is because it states in the owners manual Roof Sealant every 6 months. It does not say "check every 6 months" nor does it say "apply every 6 months" so I was looking for some guidance. Thanks for the information Jim and all the rest of you.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
So JimBo the great, what is your opinion on how often to clean our rubber roof. Personally, if it doesn't leak, who is going to see it, birds and planes? If you were us in 2009 models, please explain. I like jmgratz's thoughts but since mine is only a year old, should I be climbing up there and use the product he recommends on all seams? I have to weigh the chances of falling off the roof vs. making it look pretty. Or is this for potential leakage?

Tom of Ypsi

To keep black streaks to a minimum you should clean your roof quarterly, you will be surprised how dirty the roof is. When going down the road others behind you can see your roof if they are not too close.

jbeletti

So JimBo the great, what is your opinion on how often to clean our rubber roof. Personally, if it doesn't leak, who is going to see it, birds and planes? If you were us in 2009 models, please explain. I like jmgratz's thoughts but since mine is only a year old, should I be climbing up there and use the product he recommends on all seams? I have to weigh the chances of falling off the roof vs. making it look pretty. Or is this for potential leakage?

I clean mine once a year. But twice is better :) I scrub mine with Spic-n-Span. But I will admit I hired a dude in Dallas to clean and wax the RV a couple weeks ago.

As Tom stated, the roof gets pretty dirty and is the cause of black streaks down the side of the coach. The longer one waits to clean the roof, the harder it will be to clean and invariably, it will not come as clean when you get around to it.

A bi-annual cleaning lends itself to that bi-annual inspection of the edge seams and all the other sealing up there around antennas, vents etc.

A dirty roof - one can live with. A leaking roof - not so much. Caulking exposed to the elements, shrinks - a fact of life. Low-hanging tree branches can snag an EPDM membrane and cause a tear or worse.

Happy maintaining and be glad you don't own a boat :) I hear the maintenance is even more with them and more $$ :)

Jim

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I just put a product on the seams of our roof. You know where the front and rear caps join to the roof. There is a seam that seems to constantly need caulking. So I covered that seam with Eternabond. Guess what? It is now sealed and will never need to be caulked and it won't leak. I am all for lower maintainance.

And, you may never be able to remove either cap, ever again.

Eternabond is just what it says...eternal.

I bit the bullet and covered every roof seam with it. This was not a cheap undertaking...and honestly, on a 30 yer old AS looked a little weird.

But, from the day I installed it...I NEVER had another roof leak.

Just make sure where you put it is where you really want it...cause once it's down...it's down. For all eternity. You can rip the aluminum before you remove the tape.

And, at the time, there was no miracle solvent.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I clean mine about 4 times a year. It had some stains on it when I bought it and they just don't come off. The main thing is the possibility of leaks. Leaks are bad, real bad, so in my mind anything you can do to prevent leaks is worth it. A leak could potentially cause the side to delaminate.

Larryheadhunter

Well anyone want to come over to San Clemente and seal my roof with eternabond, come on down for your free lunch. I am afraid of heights and walking around that roof could result in the death of me. LOL It's kinda like a long fall off a short pier.

Larryheadhunter

Since Clovis RV are fixing a few of my final warranty issues, I am having them caulk and seal the roof, pack the bearings, and adjust the trailer brakes. I don't even know what half of I am saying is! Anything else I should have done? It's a year old with 12,000 miles on it. Guess the DW and I are enjoying this RVing experience. Yea! I know the kids are as we don't take them with us very often, so they can wipe out the stick house.