Replacement Storage Compartment Locks

sleeps2

Dave and Julia
We will be picking up our new BH 3670RL in about a month when the weather up North gets better. As we will be fulltiming, we are concerned about the security of our storage compartments which use the universal CH 751 key. Does anyone know of a source to order replacement locks that are keyed alike?

cjbearden

Visitor
We took our former BH 3400 to a local key shop in our former hometown of Benton, AR. They were able to rekey the locks without any trouble. Any reputable locksmith can handle that for you. Have not changed the 751 locks on the Augusta. Something else for our "to do" list.

rckc228

doesn't the new Bighorn come with the Slam doors that are keyed different than all other trailers. I would check before ordering.

SmokeyBare

Yes, the new BigHorns now will have a Paddle Latch... much like on motor homes. I believe the Locks are a big improvement to the old style for security.

Marv

lrmike

The new paddle latches are pretty cool and look like a big upgrade from the traditional style ones. I saw them last month at the dealer but I think they are available on the 2010 models only at this point.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just a question..
If you change out the locks on the storage doors and keep the same way it locks over the edge of the door you really haven't provided any more security. A screw driver will help you bend the door and edge of the opening to let you in.

Really if someone wants something in our RV your not going to keep them out. Yes I know the locks keep the honest people honest. Haven't had a problem in the 2 years we have been fulltiming. Many times I have left a door open and not been around the trailer. Never lost anything yet. I also have left some things outside and stll never lost anything. Yes it can happen but with most of the RVer's around your not going to loose anything. We pretty well keep an eye out for each other.

One thing to be sure about. Do not put locks on your propane doors. If a fireman needs to shut off the propane he does not have a key and I believe it is a federal law.

ChopperBill

Just a question..
If you change out the locks on the storage doors and keep the same way it locks over the edge of the door you really haven't provided any more security. A screw driver will help you bend the door and edge of the opening to let you in.

Really if someone wants something in our RV your not going to keep them out. Yes I know the locks keep the honest people honest. Haven't had a problem in the 2 years we have been fulltiming. Many times I have left a door open and not been around the trailer. Never lost anything yet. I also have left some things outside and stll never lost anything. Yes it can happen but with most of the RVer's around your not going to loose anything. We pretty well keep an eye out for each other.

One thing to be sure about. Do not put locks on your propane doors. If a fireman needs to shut off the propane he does not have a key and I believe it is a federal law.

X2. I gave up on the idea when I figured someone could do more damage than what the stuff inside is worth. We spent 5 weeks in AZ and I never even locked them during that time.

HOSS

More so than the new locks, I like the new gas struts that hold the doors open. Has anyone installed these on their basement doors and if so how much trouble were they to install. I like the new paddle locks also but like Bob stated above if they want in they can get in regardless of what kind of lock you have.

HOSS

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have to go alonmg with the Bobcat and Retired4fun, I don't lock my storage at all and haven't lost anything yet. In my previous life I was a police officer and certainly understand security, but there's nothing in the storage thats not both insured and replacable and not worth the trouble of having major body damage repaired when some knucklehead wants inside.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Bob, Bob, locks? I never lock my door.

Makes it too hard for the dogs to get it open just before they eat the offender.

Poor guys...both of them got heartburn from the last guy that they ate.

And, I've got man eating attack gerbils living in each external compartment.

Seriously, using those locks for much more than keeping the doors from opening on the road, they aren't much of a deterrent.

f250dieseldad

We have never had a problem with anyone trying to get into our camper. But you can get new locks that are keyed alike at Tractor Supply.

irvin56

Thread: Changing storage locks

icon1.gif
Changing storage locks
I"m thinking of installing a combination lock to the outside storage. I read about this in Trailer life.
SIDE-HATCH-OPENING-6-sm.jpg

anyone installed/used these? l have a bad habit of losing my keys and this would be a great way to keep from getting locked out. Also, it gets away from the locks with common (751) keys.

I changed out mine with these combo locks. Got them at my local RV dealer for $19.50 each
Works good and I like the idea of no key

We've been full time now for 2years. Before setting out we fitted domestic door deadbolts to the main entry door and each hatch door. This gave us peice of mind after seeing our easy the standard latchs could be prized open with a screwdriver.

Tom of Ypsi

John & Nicci,

Wow!!!! Some one from "down under". Welcome to the forum. Maybe some day we could have a rally down there with HL paying the way. Of course anyone going would have to pay for their own food. Jim B, how about that for a future rally site?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I've worked most of my life in the Los Angeles area so i have the idea that a thief is just around the corner. I changed out the storage locks with the round key type $5.95 ea. ( they look good also)

Attachments

• PICT0047.JPG
    PICT0047.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 61

Golferkids

WE changed ALL our compartment locks to what they call a Harly lock or Coca cola lock (because the keys look like what you use on a Harley or soda machine) Yes they are generic keys but we sore our 5th in a large lot that is not always attended and people " borrow" things. You can find the locks in most of the RV catalogs. They seem to hold up better than the slot type locks.