Cleaning Exterior

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Does anyone know of a good way to remove the black marks that have accumulated on the outside of the unit over the winter. Is a bleach cleaner like clorox cleanup harmful. This is our first clear coat unit and we want to be careful.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
dbylinkski, you came to the right place to find an answer, or at least a lot of different opinions. :) By clearcoat, I am going to assume that you have gelcoat. I have had good luck using a rv wash that I get at Wally World. I then use a marine/rv wax designed for gelcoat. I prefer Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. All streaks gone. I also maintain the wax finish twice a year. Works for me. Shine that baby up and come show it off at the Goshen Rally.
Peace
Dave

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I will definately "shine that baby up" but Goshen is out of the question for us. Still employed by a school district, June never works for time off! Thanks and I'm on my way to Wally World!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
dbylinkski, you came to the right place to find an answer, or at least a lot of different opinions. :) By clearcoat, I am going to assume that you have gelcoat. I have had good luck using a rv wash that I get at Wally World. I then use a marine/rv wax designed for gelcoat. I prefer Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. All streaks gone. I also maintain the wax finish twice a year. Works for me. Shine that baby up and come show it off at the Goshen Rally.
Peace
Dave

I prefer the truck wash at any Flying J. They will wax too. Pull up, pay up, eat lunch while they do their thing.
Man, I hate it.

Have I broke a sweat yet?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I prefer the truck wash at any Flying J. They will wax too. Pull up, pay up, eat lunch while they do their thing.
Man, I hate it.

Lefty, that would be my preferred way. Unfortunately, I usually end up doing myself (with able assistance from my DW). I like the Maguires Marine Wax also. Used to use it on my boat.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, that would be my preferred way. Unfortunately, I usually end up doing myself (with able assistance from my DW). I like the Maguires Marine Wax also. Used to use it on my boat.

1. You got both legs.:p

2. You got a wife.:rolleyes:

3. You ain't lazy!:eek:

I, on the other hand, fail on all three!:):eek::D

I think older = lazier for me!

Petro anyone?;)

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Waxah on...Waxah off

I like the Maguires Marine Wax also. Used to use it on my boat.

I knew a guy in California whose entire Sunday and sometimes Saturday waxing his truck and party barge. The guy would spend many happy hours out in the heat shining up his pontoons. He spend a small fortune on aluminum polish. I always told him that the aluminumnumnum...was gonna be paper thin from the rubbing compound alone.

Honestly, this guy lived for the weekends. And, lord have mercy should he see a swirl mark from the rotary buffer.:(

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Buffers

Speaking if buffers - it would sure save a lot of expended energy but we've never done it that way. Is it a good idea? By the way guys, I am the wife with an obsessive compulsive camper cleaning habit! If it don't shine, I'm not stayin' in it!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, the obital buffer saves me a lot of work. Just don't stay in one place too long. I have a 10" random orbital buffer to ease my chore. DW on the other hand is looking for an easier way to buff it all off. None
Peace
Dave

Netem

The buffer may not be a good idea since it has stick on decals. The decals are the thing to worry most about when choosing cleaners and waxing.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Yep, the obital buffer saves me a lot of work. Just don't stay in one place too long. I have a 10" random orbital buffer to ease my chore. DW on the other hand is looking for an easier way to buff it all off. None
Peace
Dave

Dave ....I just got a new buffer Mary can use to help things out. I will let you guy's use them on my rig at the Rally to show me how its done.:)
...Kenny

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Best & cheapest for black streaks is "awesome" sold at the dollar general stores. About 1 or 2 bucks for a quart bottle. Keep the roof clean, and use the gutter extension, then use awesome when needed.

nscaler2

Man, I hate it.

Hey Lefty,
I am a just a lazy one. Therefore the flying J things sounds good to me too. Do you remember how much they snag you to wash your 5th wheel. TIA :)

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I use the Blue Beacon truck wash all the time. Wash and wax 5er and TV for $42.00. Can't be beat.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Maguiars Flagship Wax

Cookie you know your wax. Bought the Flagship Marine Wax. Easy on, easy off!! Great shine! We did it and it looks great.
Oh, Leftyf, I burned a lot of calories getting the job done. A Flying J truck stop won't help that.;)
This is the best place for the info to get a job done right the first time. Thanks.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
By the way guys, I am the wife with an obsessive compulsive camper cleaning habit! If it don't shine, I'm not stayin' in it!

Way to go gal. My philosophy is the same - no shine no stayin.:p I'm also one who is out there every Sunday pm washing/waxing after a weekend of fun. Great way to burn calories.None Hubby washes, I follow behind with EagleOne Wax n' Dry spray, wiping down the rig. Byrd

HRAI

Vim

I get those black marks off using the yellow vim stuff - the one without the javex in it. It works like magic. It gets road grime and grease off very easily. Been using it for 2 years now with no ill effects.

HRAI

linuxkidd

Every weekend waxing? Wow... I just don't have that kind of time... But, for a 'just waxed' look that lasts about 9 months (with washing every weekend), check out Zaino. I use it on my vehicles... And will be using it on the RV as soon as it warms up enough..

Make sure to check out their 'testimonials' page... amazing stuff! Wipe on.. Wipe off.. no buffing needed...

Oh, and one glamour shot of my own.. :D
DSCF7217.JPG

L8r all,
LK

itsbeertime

... But, for a 'just waxed' look that lasts about 9 months (with washing every weekend), check out Zaino. I use it on my vehicles... And will be using it on the RV as soon as it warms up enough..

Make sure to check out their 'testimonials' page... amazing stuff! Wipe on.. Wipe off.. no buffing needed...
Which specific product do you use? I'm always afraid with all the stuff that contain petroleum distilates and other junk that are bad for the decals and plastic and rubber parts.

Thanks!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Coat

By the way Cookie thanks for correcting me. Clear Coat vs. Gel Coat. The only thing I know is that in Jersey we still need Winter Coats!:(