Dog ride in trailer?

wyleyrabbit

Does anyone put their dog in the trailer (in a crate) during travel? Or would it be safer to put the crate in the back of the truck (secured and tied down, obviously)?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Ride in the trailer while I drive? That's what the back seat in my truck is for. The back seat is heated too. Doggie seatbelts, doggie pillows and blankets. Lets not forget the doggie TV and doggie DVD. Doggie fridge, microwave and doggie convection oven for doggie casseroles.

Something might happen and they'd get hurt...and I wouldn't know about it until my next stop.

No thanks. I'm surprised they let me ride up front.

Do they make you ride in the back?

svd

Yes, we have a golden retriever and we put him in his cage right at the door of the trailer. He doesn't ride well, and tries to get in the front seat of the truck. We have never had a problem doing this. On longer trips, we let him out at the rest stops and give him water. Safer in the trailer than worring about him causing an accident!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Yes, we have a golden retriever and we put him in his cage right at the door of the trailer. He doesn't ride well, and tries to get in the front seat of the truck. We have never had a problem doing this. On longer trips, we let him out at the rest stops and give him water. Safer in the trailer than worring about him causing an accident!

Ok, bub...next time the dog rides with me!

I'd never leave mine in the camper. Especially in a crate. I'd worry about it too much. Not with some of the idiots on the road today. Thats one of the reasons that I got the extended cab...gimme a place for my wheelchair...and the other 3/4 of the back for one of the dogs. A pitbull can sleep anywhere.

It's not a criticism of what you do...I just couldn't do it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our dogs lie in the doggie bed in the back seat. It they get scared (bumpy roads) then they both get in the same bed and cuddle.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Hello,

They make restraints for dogs riding in a passenger vehicle. They work well. Me, I need seating just for me, my wife and my daughter so I took out 2/3rds of the rear seat and have that portion as a nice flat padded area both 50+ lb Lab mixes can lay down. while restrained from jumping into the front..... Only have problem with one of the dogs constantly wanting to be roaming, the other lays down the entire trip.

If you do for some reason you decide to put them in the trailer, which I don't condone, don't put them in the back as the back of the trailer takes a severe beating..... Don't beleive me.....just ask the Heartland engineer that rode in the back of Jim's Landmark while we did some suspension testing on rough roads around Elkhart LOL.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Our dogs lie in the doggie bed in the back seat. It they get scared (bumpy roads) then they both get in the same bed and cuddle.

You BEAST! DRIVE SLOWER!

Uh...BTW, how does the Yorkie keep the Eskie on her lap?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
With the Chev crew cab, we put the left side (drivers) rear seat down and have a pad for Suzi. She's happy as long as she with us. She's our kid too! :D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I bought a F250 4 door. The back seat area is quite large. That was one of the features that I bought the Ford. We had a 135# German Shepard. The back seat was his. It is to rough riding inside the trailer. If your not sure try riding in it for a long day. It also can get hot in the summer.

Nope, I would never travel with anyone in the trailer.
BC

Rmcgrath53

In cold weather we put our 95lb lab in a crate just inside the door. He doesnt mind. We have had a full glass of milk sitting on the counter ,and drove 3 hours, came back, and it was still sitting there on the counter un spilled. In warm weather we put him in his crate in the bed of the pick up.
We have a regular cab F350 that works well for us. Its paid for.We would love to have a cc but dont want to spend the money right now.
Ron

wyleyrabbit

Our challenge is that although we have a full back seat in our truck, we'll have our 9 year old son and our baby back there. The lab might be able to ride on the floor, I guess. Unfortunately, the lab isn't really a "lap dog" (unless you ask her, 'cause she thinks she is), so she's obviously too big to sit on anyone's lap for the trip.

svd

That is why we put our 85 lb retriever in the trailer. He thinks he is a lap dog. He won't stay in the back on the floor, but constantly tries to get in the front seat. He is 9 years old, and in hind sight I wish we had spent more time trying to get him to ride in the cab. We do have a crew cab, but often have someone riding back there.

I think he actually likes riding in the cage, it is his space.

dancer

egnor's much better half
our muts wont fit up front with us. we're going to have to figure out a way to put them in the camper... the two boys are in the back seat, we will have to figure out a way to keep them safe. im thinking the puppy in a crate and the big dog .. well. he will just sleep on the couch or my bed.

too big for my lap... french mastiff and a german shorthair.. not exactly lap dogs.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
our muts wont fit up front with us. we're going to have to figure out a way to put them in the camper... the two boys are in the back seat, we will have to figure out a way to keep them safe. im thinking the puppy in a crate and the big dog .. well. he will just sleep on the couch or my bed.

too big for my lap... french mastiff and a german shorthair.. not exactly lap dogs.

Easy. You ride in back. They ride in the cab...after one trip, bet you figure out a way. At one time, I had two pitbulls, a pommie and a cat...and we all rode in the cab.

I'm not being obtuse or argumentative, I've seen the aftermath of animals riding in the trailer. But, they are your animals, do with them as you will.

Where's the Egg been hanging out?

dancer

egnor's much better half
i would love to.. peace and quiet.. no kids fighting... im game lefty give mommy a time out!:p

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
our two stffordshire bull terrriers ride in the back seat of our crewcab with seat belts which slip right into the seatbelt slot. I don't think I would want them in the trailer.

dancer

egnor's much better half
well I mean I guess I could put the kids in the trailer?! Then the dogs would be up front!:rolleyes:

Seriously tho, Two dogs over 100lbs, 2 adults, and 2 kids in booster seats. There is no room up front for all of us.

wyleyrabbit

I'm with you. In an ideal world, our puppy (now 40 lbs and climbing quickly) would ride in the back seat. We're camping now, and I tied her crate into the back of the truck to get her here, because there were two humans already in the back seat. I LOVE my dog, but sorry, she comes in lower on the list than the human children. Humans simply get priority.

Furthermore, if this suspension is good enough that things don't fall off the counter and the dishes in the cupboards don't break, then how bad can it be to be in a crate between the wheels and the hitch?