Samsung TV and home theatre thing

patrick1945

We are going to support the economy by upgrading to a new Bighorn but we have questions about the electronics and do not want to wait until we take delivery.

Although we did not have problems with FR's Concertone (which is a 12 volt system) this Samsung thing seems to be much different.

1. The brochure says that you can hear the TV thru bedroom speakers. Can you turn those speakers on and off?

2. We certainly would use it conservatively but is there a means of putting speakers outside?

3. Do we have to have a digital converter when using the external antenna?

4. Will the Samsung play Blue Ray and MP3 discs?

jbeletti

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your order.

The Samsung unit is pretty decent. I've heard if no failures yet.

Allow me to try to address your points:

1. The brochure is wrong. You may be looking at the 2009 brochure. I had a chance to proofread the 2010 brochure and asked them to edit that sentence. You "can" hear the livingroom TV from the bedroom speakers "if" you connect a stereo RCA jumper from the audio output of the TV to the AUX input of the Samsung receiver. Cost would be about $5. This jumper is "not" supplied. This is why I asked to have the brochure wording changed. That said, you "will" be able to hear the audio (radio, iPod, CDs, DVDs) from the Samsung receiver out of the bedroom speakers - as delivered.
  2. The simplest way to add outdoor speakers is by using the wireless speakers. There is a nice one available from Brookstone (about $150). If you are super-handy, you could run wires from the entertainment slide to the baggage compartment. I'd use a speaker selector switch with impedance matching.
  3. The TV that comes with your RV will have a ATSC digital tuner in it. You will not need a converter for it.
  4. I am 99% certain the Samsung is "not" Blueray. I am 99% sure it "does" play CDs with MP3s burned onto it. I am not at my RV now - hence the 99% :)
Jim

wyleyrabbit

Bump both of Jim's estimates to 100%. The included player will not play Bluray but there is certainly room to add a Bluray player or a Playstation3 (which is also a Bluray player).

rckc228

Heartland listens to complaints and tries to address them. The coby system was terrible never worked right, had to replace mine twice.

Last edited:

wyleyrabbit

Yeah, I am glad that our bighorn has a trusted brand name on the electronics. Samsung has clearly become one of the best brands.

nscaler2

Which on is it??

Deos anyone have the model number of the Samsung system that Heartland is currently using. We have a 2206 3055RL which has a Zenith system in it that is less than good. Just haven't been able to find a better system that would physically fit in the current cabinet that houses the Zenith. Thanks in advance!! None

wyleyrabbit

I can get you the model #, but I'm not sure the cabinet dimensions remained the same over the years. Is your Zenith a tube tv or a flat panel?

nscaler2

I can get you the model #, but I'm not sure the cabinet dimensions remained the same over the years. Is your Zenith a tube tv or a flat panel?

Wyleyrabbit,
Thanks for your reply. I was referring to our sound system - dvd player and that came with the BH. It is a Zenith and is pretty poor quality. If I had the model number of the current Samsungs being installed I could get its dimensions to see if it would fit and perhaps buy one. Thanks :)

wyleyrabbit

Ahhh. It's the HT-X20, which I think has been discontinued. I'm sure any of the newer models will make you smile. Google should get you the dimensions, but it's about the size of an older DVD player.

jbeletti

With the exception of the Jensen used in the Landmark Oakmont, I believe that the dimensions of most brands/models of "stand-alone" home theater systems we use are very similar. Doubt there would be any problem fitting a Samsung unit in the same space as your Zenith.

Call Customer Service (877-262-8032) if you need the actual dimensions as they should be able to obtain them.

Jim