Bighorn tow vehicle

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Nebill, I would suggest anything under 15K due to pin weight The 3055, 3410 and such. We have 3/4 Chevy D/A and pulls and stops our coach just fine. If you plan on upgrading later on and dont have TV yet, you might consider getting a 1 TN now. You will be ahead of the curve.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Nebill, if you already have the 2500 I would suggest anything in the the 35/36 ft range. I had a dodge 2500 when I got my 3670 and it performed pretty good as long as I stayed out of the mountains. The 3670 was just too much for the 2500. I now have the 3500 DRW and don't have problems anymore.
Good luck on your choice.
Bill

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Nebill,
Look at the towing capacity of your 2500 on the web site of the manufacturer, and if you have the right axle 3.73 limited slip and not the 3.55, you can probably tow up to 15,000 lbs. GVWR so get a 3055, or a 3400 Bighorn or a lighter Sundance. Geez, I don't even know what all that means LOL but that's how I found out what I could tow with my 2008 Ford F-250.

nebill

Thanks for the responses. We looked at the new 3385RL at a show and visited with the factory rep. The 3385RL is rated at 11,345# dry, 14,000# GVW and 2090# pin. I am less concerned about the 2500 CTD towing than I am about the pin weight. Our current TT has a GVW of 9,000# and there is no problem towing, even in the Rockies. This is an '06 with a Jake engine brake and a GVW tow rating of 13000#. I take what factory reps and salesmen say with a grain of salt and in this case the factory rep seemed to think there would be no problem with the pin weight. He suggested airbags if there was a need to level. Thus, I was just curious which Bighorn models you all tow with the Dodge 2500 CTD.

wyleyrabbit

You must look at the published GVWR of your truck! For 2009, I believe the GM 2500hd is 9200 lbs. Then subtract the weight of the truck from this and you get the payload capacity ( most of this is available from the mfgr's website ). The payload capacity on that truck is about 3,000 lbs. Now, this figure is the most the truck can safely carry, according to the engineers at the company that makes the truck ( and imho should be listened to ).

Now figure on 200 lbs for the hitch and mounting hardware, another 250 lbs of fuel, then add the weight of any aftermarket or dealer installed options such as running boards or bedliners etc, another 100 lbs. Now add in people and dogs. To keep the math simple do 175 lbs per person and 2 people traveling. Given this example, there is 900 lbs of cargo and passengers, leaving only 2100 lbs of pin weight. Add more passengers or a tool box full of tools and do the math.

I did a survey of 3055rl owners a while back, and the average pin weight loaded was 2700 lbs!

In my case I have 4 people and what will likely be an 80 lb dog. That's why I bought the truck I did.

wyleyrabbit

BTW, the 3500hd increases payload about another 500 lbs up to 3500 lbs. The dually gets you up to 4700 lbs.

Really think hard if you want to exceed the recommended weights on the truck. You'll likely also be exceeding the tire rating increasing chances of a blowout, overloading your suspension, and inviting the insurance company to dishonor any claims. You may also be risking the very lives of you and your family, not to mention others that you share the roads with.

If all these specs were to be ignored then everyone might as well tow the big 3670 or the Landmarks with their half-ton trucks. Heck why go that big...maybe a quarter ton. I'm kidding but you get my point.

Chris

P.S. My numbers are for GM, so look up Dodge's

wyleyrabbit

I just looked up the 2009 Dodge 2500 and 3500 towing specs, and looks like their numbers are higher than those of the GM trucks. (what's up with that, GM?)

The Ram 2500 has a published payload capacity of 3,650 lbs, while the Ram 3500 has a payload capacity of "up to" 5,130 lbs (it doesn't say whether this is for the SRW or the DRW, but my guess is that this is for the dually).

Therefore, doing the math again:

Ram 2500 payload capacity: 3,650 lbs.
Typical fifth wheel hitch weight: ~ 200 lbs.
Typical tank of diesel fuel: ~ 250 lbs.
People (2 adults x 175 lbs): ~ 350 lbs.
Likely installed options: ~ 100 lbs.
Total remaining payload capacity for pin (3650 - 200 - 250 - 350 - 100): 2,750 lbs.

Therefore, if you have a 2009 Ram 2500, and you only have two adults, you can probably handle the smaller Bighorns such as the 3055RL, assuming you don't load the trailer right up to its 14,000 lbs GVWR.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Chris

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Make sure you're comparing identically configured vehicles. The GMC data shows over 5000 lbs. for a regular cab, long box, dually. Maybe GM has lower payloads because they use more steel :D

ct0218

The GVWR of all three brands are in the low nine thousands (like 9200). A diesel 2500 from any of the three is going to actually weigh well over 6000 lbs, probably closer to 7000. Add a few hundred more if 4x4, and about 600 more if a dually. It is best to weigh your truck, as it would travel, then subtract that from your GVWR as stated on your truck label. A 6000 lb 2500 would have to be a short body, gas engine, regular cab, and on a diet.

wyleyrabbit

No kidding. I couldn't imagine having to haul out a bathroom scale and have my passengers stand on it to make sure I'm not going to go over one of the limits.

"Sorry mother-in-law, you're too heavy, I guess you can't come with us." :rolleyes:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No kidding. I couldn't imagine having to haul out a bathroom scale and have my passengers stand on it to make sure I'm not going to go over one of the limits.

"Sorry mother-in-law, you're too heavy, I guess you can't come with us." :rolleyes:

Depending on your relationship with her (and you wife's skill with firearms), that might not be a bad "ruse.":D