Vehicles hauling Road Warriors

maryd120

Hello,
We are looking at purchasing a Road Warrior, we have a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel, will the Road Warrior be to much trailer for our truck?
Mary

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That's a pretty interesting question. I just went to the Heartland Website and lo and behold, they picture a Road Warrior fifth wheel, but do not have any specs for them. If you're asking about the travel trailer, I think the towing capacity for bumper pull on the 2500HD is 12,600#. There are factors to consider like your trucks GVWR of 9200# includes everyting you are carrying in the truck including hitch weight. Right now there are no weights listed on the Heartland site either but maybe Jim B will read this and add his thoughts.

2010augusta

the 2500 hd is rated for a 15,500 lbs fifth wheel, you should be able to pull most of the shorter toy haulers if the pin weight is within specs. I believe the R/W and the razor of similar weights.

Mike Aplin

Thank you for your questions regarding truck ratings for the all new Road Warrior. Let me first say that the make, model, year, and how the truck is equipped is very important in determining the tow rating of any truck 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Also, what is the truck rated to pull? I use 3/4 ton and 1 ton Chevy's with the Duramax diesel and the 6 speed Allison trans. Remember that is important what a truck can pull, but it is equally as important as to what a customer can stop. For the most optimum towing fifth wheel, we firmly believe in tongue weight as we know that customers will be placing vehicles or items in the garage that will take weight or a percentage of weight off of the pin. This is one of the ways that we achieve a steady ride VS. one with a light pin weight to start with, then put cargo in the garage and one would achieve a ride more like a teeter totter. Thank you for your interest in the all new Road Warrior. The new product has performed outstanding at all of the early shows that it has been at.

Mike Aplin

We are working on getting all of the final info on the all new Road Warrior for posting on our website as well as for the new brochures. We will post as soon as everything is approved and reviewed. Thank you for your patience.

Yianni

Just curious what the difference is between the Cyclone and the Road Warrior. The 2 30 ft. units look almost identical.
Thanks.

Mike Aplin

The Road Warrior is a brand new product offering for us here at Heartland. Since both products go down the same line, built by the same individuals, the main differences are bells, whistles, and in some cases floor plans. Think of it this way; there may be some items that are optional or not available on the Road Warrior, and they may be standard or optional on the Cyclone.

Yianni

Thanks Mike for the reply.
The reason I ask is because we are in the market. We looked at a 2010 Cyclone 3010 5th wheel yesterday and really liked it, but I would like to know which is the higher end unit? The Cyclone or the Road Warrior. We don't have toys but are looking for something with more luxury features and as much living space as possible in a 30 to 35 foot unit. We like the built in gen and larger tank capacities for dry camping.
Thanks for any help.

Mike Aplin

The Cyclone will have some of the extra "bells and whistles" that you are referring to. Remember that there are many outstanding features on the all new Road Warrior, but some of the extra "bells and whistles" are reserved only for the Cyclone product. This is why their is a difference in price between a Cyclone and a Road Warrior, not to mention some of the floor plans in the two products are not all the same layouts.
Take care, Mike

Truck for Road Warrior

No, a 2500 truck isn't big enough to tow a Road Warrior! We have a Dodge 3500 single axle truck with a diesel cumins motor. This truck pulls our Road Warrior just fine, however, we are thinking of putting on air shocks for smoother ride. Buy the Road Warrior - you will love it!

D

dlpmx

Just pulled our new RW 325 miles home and I'm glad I have the 1 ton. 3/4 would be too small for the big RW's.Oh and the F350 got 13 mpg with that big boy behind it.

Dale

BruteForce

So we did paperwork on the Roadwarrior 395 but had to back out to get a bigger truck.

I originally thought my Ram 2500 i6 6.7L TD would be able to handle it, but I was wrong.

We're now eyeballing used Diesel Semi-tractor rigs (Volvo's, etc), Ram 3500-4500 commercial flat-bed trucks and Ford F450's to tow this thing safely.

We hope we can get a tow rig short term, trade-in our Jayco Greyhawk 31SS RV (Ford V10) and get this 395 in short-order.

Edited to add: We're hooked on the 395 because of the 1.5 bath, 12 foot garage and overhead loft. The other units are just too small for our needs (lots of people and machines).

I've now pulled my 305RW approx. 1500 miles and use a F350 Powerstroke. Its equipted with duels and air bags. this is plenty of power and rides great. save the money and avoid the semi's.

BruteForce

I've now pulled my 305RW approx. 1500 miles and use a F350 Powerstroke. Its equipted with duels and air bags. this is plenty of power and rides great. save the money and avoid the semi's.

I can get a used semi cheaper than a bigger Dodge or Ford truck. Found a couple of 2000 and 2001 model year Semi's (Volvo and others) with large Cummins engines for under $9k

FYI, I too have been shopping at Sierra RV in Sunset.

Jellystone

Road Warrior Towing

We have the RW 305 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler and flat out love it. I use my Dodge Ram 3500 Longbed Dually w/6.7 Cummins and factory installed exhaust brake to tow it. The truck pulls it like a champ. Plenty of power and no "gear hunting" with the 6 speed automatic trans.