A Better, Easier to Use, UDC

2010augusta

For the past month I have been trying to figure out how to make the UDC easier to use for fulltiming. A few of my goals in doing so were:

1. include a real pressure regulator, so we can take high-flow showers.
2. Use a satellite television multi-switch to have at least three feed to the TVs.
3. Make filling the freshwater easier.
4. Make flushing the black water tank easier.
5. Stop have to do the "hose Ballet" in order to do 3 and 4.

Here is what I can up with. I began by installing the household water regulator in the UDC, but did not like it hanging out of the hose connection. I then removed the female hose connection and the check valve for the fresh water and used a hole saw to enlarge the hole so a hose could fit through it. I connected the main supply line to the regulator behind the wall of the UDC and ran the hose through the new larger hole. This worked great and freed up a lot of room as compared to haveing the regulator in the UDC compartment. I picked up a 4-way brass manifold with shut-off valves from a garden center and attached it to the regulator through the wall of the UDC. In order to connect a supply hose to this manifold, I cut the male end off of my fresh water hose and added a female end. I then sacrificed a spare hose to fulfill goals 3 and 4. I cut the female end at about 2 feet and ran the cut end into the fresh water tank fill hose. I cut the male end of the the hose at about 1 foot and installed a new female end on the cut end. I used this short hose to jump from the manifold to the black-water flush connector. This setup allows me to leave one hose connected all the time and by opening valves on the manifold I can flush the black water tank and fill the fresh water tank.

For the satellite stuff I removed the factory coax wires on the back side of the UDC that ran to the TVs and install two short jumpers that connect to the multi-switch. Then connect the two factory wires to the outputs of the multi-switch along with an additional wire I ran to the entermainment center slide.

whew!! hope you followed all that.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 4-way manifold.JPG
    4-way manifold.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 444
  • Pressure Regulator.JPG
    Pressure Regulator.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 420
  • satellite multi-switch.JPG
    satellite multi-switch.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 398

jnbhobe

I also drilled a hole in the left rear corner and RTVed a hose in for a drain in the UDC. JON :cool: :cool: :cool:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
NIce looking job...However, I will say be VERY careful with the manifold system. It's real easy to forget exactly which way each valve is positioned, and it can cause real problems!

Won't say how I know...just trust me I know!!:rolleyes:

SmokeyBare

A simple cap on the un-used hose connections on the Manifold would reduce the risk of a valve being turned on...

2010augusta

Regulator works great. it was about $35 @ home depot plus a few bucks for adapter fittings. it holds a constant 48PSI and no flow restriction. I removed the flow limiter from the shower and now it is as good as any household shower.

2010augusta

The black water flush is already protected with an air gap/vacuum breaker, plus it has a one-way check valve at the UCD.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The black water flush is already protected with an air gap/vacuum breaker, plus it has a one-way check valve at the UCD.

One of the neatest jobs, I've seen in a long, long time. Thanks for posting it.

(OBTW--I've added you to my list of people who I steal ideas from) When next you see that device, you won't recognize it!

itsbeertime

Very nice job. One of the nicer mods I've seen in a long time. I personally wouldn't have the black and fresh interconnected no matter how many checks, but that's just me. I've have my black flush air gap check valve thingy fail just recently. But the rest is too awesome. :)

Retired CPO

NewBee question

What does UDC stand for, I got the drift of what you are Mod'ng & it looks and sounds like a great mod that I might want to add. ;)

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Let's go down this road--I am curious

Very nice job. One of the nicer mods I've seen in a long time. I personally wouldn't have the black and fresh interconnected no matter how many checks, but that's just me. I've have my black flush air gap check valve thingy fail just recently. But the rest is too awesome. :)

First off this is not intended to be a gross discussion nor is it intended to be a bash on your comment. I just find this topic interesting in that I don't think anyone is really interested in sharing what they really do and whether or not they considered that "hey, I just connected this fresh water hose to my sewer flush system". Contamination????

Interesting that you say this. I have always been back and forth but let's ponder this. If you decide to flush your black tank, do you hook your hose up to the campground hose connection, the same one you used for your city water connection? Well if you do, and the black flush check valve were to fail then have you just contaminated the entire campground water system? What hose do you use, your fresh water hose or a "junk" non-drinking water hose? Either way you are still connecting to the same spickot that you connected to for fresh city water. HMM "fresh city water" what a statement.

My point is, I do not think it really matters how you connect your black tank flush, somewhere along the way you connect it to a fresh water source therefore contamination is possible. Even if the check valve works properly there is still a "water" connection between the black tank and the fresh water source.

Please let me know what the rest of you think about this. I am really curious.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Precisely why I use a high quality water filter and wipe the faucet off with Clorox wipes before I hook up by garden hose. Even the simple thing of a male dog peeing on the water faucet before you hookup is a disgusting thought.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I never hook up to the flush system till the DW is done inside and the fresh water to inside is disconnected. I figure if the check valve malfunctions at the least I only have to sanitize a hose and maybe the UDC. I'm thinking the back pressure would not be greater than the pressure thru the hose but guess could be. Just the way I do mine and my reasoning.....Kenny