tires on the new Big Horns

Bobby A

Does anyone know what brand of tires are on the New 3580 Big Horn ?? Are they anygood ?? Can you upgrade to a better tire if ordering a unit ??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think Heartland uses a variety of brands from whatever the supplier has available and yes still from China. Even some Goodyear Marathons may come from China. I'm pretty sure you can special order Goodyear G614's on the 3580.

Bobby A

Ray,
Do you know if the G614 is an american made tire ?? what do you know about the tire ??

Thanks
Bobby A

Ray LeTourneau

Bobby A, I can only tell you what I know. Yes, it is made in USA. I think the G614 is one of the most popular tires available for heavy trailers. Being designated an "ST" tire, it is designed specifically for trailers. Michelin LT tires are also popular and a little less expensive. You can learn more at the Goodyear website. The individual tire weighs about 20# more than a Chinese tire of the same size and capacity. That should tell you it's much better constructed and it can be re-grooved like semi trailer tires.

grizzlygiant

Valve stem failure is a big contributor to tire failure. Replace the OEM rubber stems with steel/brass stems.

osims

bsims
Bobby A
I agree with Ray 100%. We have GY g614's on our current 5er and had Michelen XPS ribbed on our 06 Bighorn. I think these are the best two tires available for these heavy fifth wheels.
Bill

Bobby A

I visited the factory today and was very dissapointed to see the Tow Max tires on the Big Horn, these tires don't even look good !! The rep told me I could upgrade to a goodyear tire for $695.00 but those also are foreign made. Very dissapointed that Heartland doesn't put good name brand american made tires on these rigs !!

Ray LeTourneau

I visited the factory today and was very dissapointed to see the Tow Max tires on the Big Horn, these tires don't even look good !! The rep told me I could upgrade to a goodyear tire for $695.00 but those also are foreign made. Very dissapointed that Heartland doesn't put good name brand american made tires on these rigs !!
Bobby, did you ask the rep what model Goodyear tire he was referring to? I wouldn't be too concerned about where the Goodyears were being made because I'm pretty sure they are made to Goodyear USA specs. If they are Marathons, $695 sounds a little steep, If they are G614's it's a fair price.

Bobby A

Ray,
No I didn't ask what model of GY tire, I think at that point I was so so ticked off, that my anger got a hold of my thinking cap. My wife just said the rep did say it was a G rated tire, for what ever thats worth.

rckc228

Valve Stem good advise and I never gave it a second thought. But it makes allot of sense. Most people overlook the stems just don't worry about them.

osims

bsims
My Landmark came from the factory with Goodyear G614 tires that were made in USA. There maybe GY tires that are made overseas but they are built to the same specs and GY honors warranty the same. On the 06 BH i had michelin tires, they are not made in USA, but built to ridged spec and warrented as well as any tire you can buy. If HL is using G614's that is a good price.
Bill

Bobby A

Bill,

Thats good to hear, I will have to give the rep a call and see if the GY tires that you can get as a option is a G614. Thanks for that info.
Bobby A

jnbhobe

Bobby; If you were to go with the G-614 tires, think about upgrading the axels to 7000#. We did that on ours,Glad we did too. Jon :cool::cool::cool:

SmokeyBare

Bobby,

If I was ordering today, I'd pony up the $695.00 for the Goodyear tires... my simple math tells me thats $ 100.00 a tire.

If I had Thought... and I didn't at the time I ordered our BigHorn... I would have gladly paid that amount for Goodyear G614 upgrade. Because I didn't...because I waited until I had a tire failure... I paid Camping World at Albuquerque NM $ 1,500.00 for 5 Goodyear's, installation, and wheel bearing service, which I had planned on having done... before I had the tire failure.

Now that didn't count the sheet metal and wheel trim damage to the RV....

In my View.... I'd be happy to have the option of a better set of tires.

rckc228

The Peace of mind alone we be worth it. You should be all set for awhile . Good luck with your new rig Heartland is a great company with a great product.

Bobby A

Got a call back from my dealer yesterday, and apparently he asked the factory rep about the Goodyear tires. He told me the rep told him that the Goodyear tires are a G rated 12 Ply Regrooveable tire, no mention of model Marathon, or G614's not sure what to make of it.